Thread: Budget engine oil choice

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I guess it's just personal preference personally I think changing it after every one or two track is stupid but that's just me I think about 500ks is a good start but like I said it's still clean as when I drain it so it really could last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I guess it's just personal preference personally I think changing it after every one or two track is stupid but that's just me I think about 500ks is a good start but like I said it's still clean as when I drain it so it really could last longer.

I think it all depends on what you're running and how you're running it... We can't say that someone running Motul 3100 and doing 44s on the GP circuit onboard of an old cbr250 (in all its 18000rpm glory)should change the oil every 500Ks. I would think that's equally stupid as running 300V, doing 58s on a modern sportbike and changing it every second track day.

Overall, I think 'common sense', the rarest of all commodities, is required here.
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 16-08-2014 at 08:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    I think it all depends on what you're running and how you're running it... We can't say that someone running Motul 3100 and doing 44s on the GP circuit onboard of an old cbr250 (in all its 18000rpm glory)should change the oil every 500Ks. I would think that's equally stupid as running 300V, doing 58s on a modern sportbike and changing it every second track day.

Overall, I think 'common sense', the rarest of all commodities, is required here.
    True words.

So far I'm finding that the Ape needs the oil changed probably 4 times as often as the R6. Two days on track and it's filthy and very much in need of changing. Whereas the R6 will do 8 days and it still looks fresh. Although most of my days so far have been race days on the Ape.

Race starts have a HUGE effect on oil condition. Multiple times destroying the oil with slipping clutch plates ruins the hydrocarbon bonds and breaks down the oil much more quickly than normal wear. Even more so if you slip the clutch a long way (as some people do, although I don't).
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    True words.

So far I'm finding that the Ape needs the oil changed probably 4 times as often as the R6. Two days on track and it's filthy and very much in need of changing. Whereas the R6 will do 8 days and it still looks fresh. Although most of my days so far have been race days on the Ape.

Race starts have a HUGE effect on oil condition. Multiple times destroying the oil with slipping clutch plates ruins the hydrocarbon bonds and breaks down the oil much more quickly than normal wear. Even more so if you slip the clutch a long way (as some people do, although I don't).
    Always love to hear the technical side

Thread Information