Thread: What I did today...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    When I got mine done at the end of 2012 it looked pretty much like that too... and that was on a 09 bike with less than 8000Kms, 99% of them on the road
    I'm pretty sure that shock had never been opened ... in 13 years ... Yeah does make you wonder about state of suspension on road bikes ... but then sane people are not riding around the streets at 200+kph with their knee down (well not for very long) ... my guesstimate would be 80% of road only bikes still have chicken strips (which is probably a good thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    I'm pretty sure that shock had never been opened ... in 13 years ... Yeah does make you wonder about state of suspension on road bikes ... but then sane people are not riding around the streets at 200+kph with their knee down (well not for very long) ... my guesstimate would be 80% of road only bikes still have chicken strips (which is probably a good thing).
    And track bikes. It's the old boiling-a-frog-slowly syndrome - the suspension gets soooo slowly and progressively worse that you simply don't notice.... until it's fixed and then it's unbelievably different. If you could somehow ride your own bike from 5 years ago right now (time machine?), you'd be amazed at how different it feels.

For me, when I jumped on an almost-new R6 for some laps, it was a revelation! OEM suspension, when recently serviced, feels awesome! Virtually as good as uber-exxy aftermarket suspension, but much easier to tune and live with. People get sold up the garden path with needing "Ohlins", when really they just need a service, and maybe a revalve/respring.

It's the equivalent of never servicing your engine, then complaining that it's running like total crap (no horsepower, sounds terrible, hard to start), then proposing that the solution is to buy a brand new full-blown supersport engine, eg from Graves: https://www.gravesport.com/Team-Grav...c-Engines.html, instead of an oil change and new air filter and spark plugs.

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    People get sold up the garden path with needing "Ohlins", when really they just need a service, and maybe a revalve/respring.
    100% agree Nick.

When I had Shock Treatment put the Racetech catridge emulators in the OEM forks on my little CBR250R they said the OEM oil was so rancid(8,000km in just 6 months, I bought brand new) that just changing the oil would have made a huge difference. It amazes me that designers have not found a way to make these suspension components more easily 'user serviced', ie 'drain and refill in place' so they can be serviced every 6 months as they probably should be. Currently it's kinda like having to pull the engine apart just to change the oil.

Thread Information