Totally agree with Mick's points and Jamie's words.

I don't think anyone can link any decision by st george (or any other club) to a particular incident at a particular race meet. Surely any decision/rule change is cumulative thing?
Not that I have vast amounts of racing under my belt but almost every race meet I've done there is (unfortunately) a chopper at some point. There has and always will be incidents at a race track, this is why "motorsport is dangerous and can result in injury or death" is plastered on every form you sign.

To me it seems st g have asked themselves how can they make racing at their club safer overall, and quite possibly noticing how other clubs do it in other parts of the world and adopting/trialing those methods ie, vest. With so many variables to the cause of dangerous racing incidents, what is a club to do? Whats "right" and "wrong" is trivial until it's too late. Common sense and respect for EVERYONE is a good start, and I think vests on rookies is a good platform for people (rookies included) to choose if they want to respect others or not.

When I found out about the vest rule for rookies (D grades) over here in the UK initially I thought it to be unnecessary, however I really like the idea now. Especially after watching some mixed grade race vids.

Grading, skill level and how quick one's bike is are all very different issues that seem to be rolled into one issue.

2 cents.