Thread: Clutch

Clutch

I was having issues with the clutch on the weekend at Wakey, so I pulled it out today. Reckon it's a bit fooked??

clutch.jpg
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Nice...

Cooooooked !! but at least you found the issue

Zoolander clutch.

Blue steel.
    Zoolander.jpg
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

maybe you launch control is the problem? it sounded like it was slipping for a long time off the start line
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

Damn, slipper clutches! I've done that a few times, I'm forever stripping my clutch, resetting the stack height and sanding my clutch plates

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398402756.015936.jpg

Shit I haven't touched my clutch in two years

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    Damn, slipper clutches! I've done that a few times, I'm forever stripping my clutch, resetting the stack height and sanding my clutch plates
    Is sanding them the recommended fix? I've always just replaced them (not that I've gone through many clutches... in fact only one out of all of my R6s over the years).

Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Is sanding them the recommended fix? I've always just replaced them (not that I've gone through many clutches... in fact only one out of all of my R6s over the years).
    My drag racing mate swares by it, he does it after every meeting/6 passes. I've heard of MX guys doing it between motos too.

In that pic I posted the top ones are sanded and looked the same as the purple ones below, the purple just sands off with no effort at all. My mate reckons he uses 80 grit but I used 250 and it worked ok. Then I just clean them with brake cleaner and reinstall. He also sands the fibers but I haven't been game to try that yet. He reckons it's good as new every time.

Your basically just deglazing them, if they are warped then throw them away. Once they are glazed then they'll over heat more and more and warp.

Mine has too much slip ATM so it's time to change out a plate to a thicker one.
    Last edited by Marty; 26-04-2014 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mstevo View Post
    maybe you launch control is the problem? it sounded like it was slipping for a long time off the start line

I think it might be the other way round. Launch control in the first race was freaking awesome, then it went massively downhill, meaning I had to slip the clutch a lot to stop it wheelieing over backwards! But yeah, I guess when the clutch had gone 'off', I should've just launched normally, without LC.

So I tried Marty's trick (sanding the steels) and I can confirm that it's bloody fantastic! Admittedly I haven't done a race yet, but my track day the other day was with a completely normal-feeling clutch. All I did was sand them with some 180 grit wet & dry.

Here's a half-sanded plate.

clutch.jpg

Clutch

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    So I tried Marty's trick (sanding the steels) and I can confirm that it's bloody fantastic! Admittedly I haven't done a race yet, but my track day the other day was with a completely normal-feeling clutch. All I did was sand them with some 180 grit wet & dry.

Here's a half-sanded plate.

clutch.jpg
    That's awesome news mate! I was skeptical at first but when I saw how easy the blue glaze scrubs off I was convinced. The only thing worth noting is to check for warpage on the steels. Get a peice of glass or something to check the warpage with a feeler gauge under the plates. Having a warped plate will give clutch drag and cause problems. Once they get blue and you keep thrashing it on the starts then you'll warp them.

I had a read of this old thread and had a chat with Nick, as I haven't done much clutch work before.

So fair, the sanding has gone very easy with 180 paper then 400 paper, with some brake cleaner added into the mix.

will get some more pics tomorrow once I have finished putting her back together.

Clutch has been in the bike for 3 years and I have never opened it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks amazingly good for 3 years track use!!!

It's a bit of a worry that pen was in there.

I was wondering about the socket extension in the middle of the clutch basket. I'm fairly sure my one is missing.... I'd better go and put one in mine asap!

Or maybe it's so I can put them onto the "shaft" in the correct order!

Nice work lee

Thread Information