Thread: Lap Times

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lap Times

Dan & Rick, I reckon you two should stick with the poor suzukis for a while more. Troopers they are, and reliable. I've squeezed 43s/08s out of my 96 model with original untouched motor, fork revalved and a shock. Someone's got to stick up for the underdog
    Last edited by senator8; 06-01-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    Dan & Rick, I reckon you two should stick with the poor suzukis for a while more. Troopers they are, and reliable. I've squeezed 43s/08s out of my 96 model with original untouched motor, fork revalved and a shock. Someone's got to stick up for the underdog
    Fair point, they have plenty to give and I don't hate the Gixxer,
    Just haven't had a grin on my face that big for a while...

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    Fair point, they have plenty to give and I don't hate the Gixxer,
    Just haven't had a grin on my face that big for a while...
    I actually don't agree with sticking with a Gixer just because they are capable of better lap times in the right hands. Even if the R6 wasn't faster (which it is), if it's giving you a huge grin factor in comparison on every lap, isn't that what it's all about anyway? Like I'm sure Troy Bayliss can get much better times out of a 999 than I will ever get on my Pani but I wouldn't consider it because it's an inferior motorcycle and nowhere near as much fun.

I personally think how you feel on a bike and how much fun you're having is more important than reaching the max potential lap times. I think you'd learn / improve more quickly on an R6 too, esp in Owen's case as he's riding a Gixer 750 so he's going quicker on a bike with less capacity - ie he's not just going quicker cos he has more horsepower, he actually has less. So to me that says the R6 is giving him more confidence / feel to ride better around corners / under brakes etc - where it matters.

Keep in mind too my R6 has bog standard suspension and no real engine work yet. So it's basically stock with a quick action throttle and Brembo master cylinder, slip-on exhaust (no Power Commander) quickshifter and rearsets.

Owen I say clean up the Gixer, flog it off and join the R6 club! As for you Dan, maybe sell 2 out of your dozen or so bikes and get one proper sorted race bike?! :P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Spilly1199 View Post

I personally think how you feel on a bike and how much fun you're having is more important than reaching the max potential lap times. I think you'd learn / improve more quickly on an R6 too, esp in Owen's case as he's riding a Gixer 750 so he's going quicker on a bike with less capacity - ie he's not just going quicker cos he has more horsepower, he actually has less. So to me that says the R6 is giving him more confidence / feel to ride better around corners / under brakes etc - where it matters.

Owen I say clean up the Gixer, flog it off and join the R6 club!
    That's what I'm saying Spilly, you're totally right - Grin Factor is a great indicator. Just didn't want to bash the gixxers too bad as they're still great bikes!

Anybody want a K7 750??

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    That's what I'm saying Spilly, you're totally right - Grin Factor is a great indicator. Just didn't want to bash the gixxers too bad as they're still great bikes!

Anybody want a K7 750??
    This guy from yesterday might want a replacement! Another T1 casualty!

I actually don't agree with sticking with a Gixer just because they are capable of better lap times in the right hands. Even if the R6 wasn't faster (which it is), if it's giving you a huge grin factor in comparison on every lap, isn't that what it's all about anyway? Like I'm sure Troy Bayliss can get much better times out of a 999 than I will ever get on my Pani but I wouldn't consider it because it's an inferior motorcycle and nowhere near as much fun.
    Very well said!! As soon as I actually got an R6, I was soooooo bummed at myself for having 'stuck with' the gixxers for so long. What a waste!!
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

As for you Dan, maybe sell 2 out of your dozen or so bikes and get one proper sorted race bike?! :P

haha!

For the price of a R6 race bike I have a TZ350 rep, a 1970 H1 500 Kwaka and my K3 gixxer. Way better garage!

I'll be flogging off some of the others to go to the World Cup this year. I got this sorted

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    I agree!

I also like not being too worried about throwing it down the road. Tough as nails.
    do a burnout

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Tough as nails.
    Errr, I call bullshit on this (see above). I've never seen a rim do that, ever, except carbon fibre rims. Also, I've seen several cracked and actually snapped frames on gixxers from relatively minor offs. The K8 I bought from the auctions a while back (don't ask) had a massive crack all the way along the inside of the main frame rail surrounding the engine, but the bike wasn't very damaged (it certainly wasn't visible until I pulled it apart). Not on a weld or seam, but just in the middle of the main frame spar. Into the bin for that one.

And see the big weld down the side of the frame, directly under the 'S' on the tank? They snap that weld fairly frequently in crashes. The 1000 had a factory recall to reinforce the frame for that issue, but the smaller bikes went un-rectified, despite snapping there too (although presumably slightly less frequently than the bigger bikes).

To be fair to Suzukis, I think that the older ones (ie pre K6 1000 and K7 600/750) were actually rather tough. But from then on, they've been rubbish.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Errr, I call bullshit on this (see above). I've never seen a rim do that, ever, except carbon fibre rims. Also, I've seen several cracked and actually snapped frames on gixxers from relatively minor offs. The K8 I bought from the auctions a while back (don't ask) had a massive crack all the way along the inside of the main frame rail surrounding the engine, but the bike wasn't very damaged (it certainly wasn't visible until I pulled it apart). Not on a weld or seam, but just in the middle of the main frame spar. Into the bin for that one.

And see the big weld down the side of the frame, directly under the 'S' on the tank? They snap that weld fairly frequently in crashes. The 1000 had a factory recall to reinforce the frame for that issue, but the smaller bikes went un-rectified, despite snapping there too (although presumably slightly less frequently than the bigger bikes).

To be fair to Suzukis, I think that the older ones (ie pre K6 1000 and K7 600/750) were actually rather tough. But from then on, they've been rubbish.
    Those ones are fancy pants, no wonder it broke. Mine is made of solid steel. Handles like it too.
    do a burnout

Thread Information