Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: What I did today...

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Wow, I bet mine is the same :(
    When I got mine done at the end of 2012 it looked pretty much like that too... and that was on a 09 bike with less than 8000Kms, 99% of them on the road
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 19-01-2014 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    When I got mine done at the end of 2012 it looked pretty much like that too... and that was on a 09 bike with less than 8000Kms, 99% of them on the road
    I'm really scared now...
    do a burnout

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Installed Phat3r's quickshifter, and serviced his shock and forks. The rear shock was ugly inside!

Attachment 473

Attachment 474
    How thoughtful ... sparkling Chardy in a rear shock ... to think I've been relying on that to keep the rear tyre in contact through T1 ...

That QS looks vewy sexy ... T2 / T3 is going to become fun again.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddie View Post
    Picked up new trailer....time to customize.

Purple for the trailer so they match?

My miss hates when I go searching for facts Etc...

She sent me this picture to put on the side of the trailer..

the-credible-hulk.jpg

I'm pretty sure that shock had never been opened ... in 13 years ... Yeah does make you wonder about state of suspension on road bikes ... but then sane people are not riding around the streets at 200+kph with their knee down (well not for very long) ... my guesstimate would be 80% of road only bikes still have chicken strips (which is probably a good thing).

Quote Originally Posted by Baddie View Post
    My miss hates when I go searching for facts Etc...

She sent me this picture to put on the side of the trailer..

the-credible-hulk.jpg
    Well if it has her seal of approval ... do it before she changes her mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    I'm pretty sure that shock had never been opened ... in 13 years ... Yeah does make you wonder about state of suspension on road bikes ... but then sane people are not riding around the streets at 200+kph with their knee down (well not for very long) ... my guesstimate would be 80% of road only bikes still have chicken strips (which is probably a good thing).
    And track bikes. It's the old boiling-a-frog-slowly syndrome - the suspension gets soooo slowly and progressively worse that you simply don't notice.... until it's fixed and then it's unbelievably different. If you could somehow ride your own bike from 5 years ago right now (time machine?), you'd be amazed at how different it feels.

For me, when I jumped on an almost-new R6 for some laps, it was a revelation! OEM suspension, when recently serviced, feels awesome! Virtually as good as uber-exxy aftermarket suspension, but much easier to tune and live with. People get sold up the garden path with needing "Ohlins", when really they just need a service, and maybe a revalve/respring.

It's the equivalent of never servicing your engine, then complaining that it's running like total crap (no horsepower, sounds terrible, hard to start), then proposing that the solution is to buy a brand new full-blown supersport engine, eg from Graves: https://www.gravesport.com/Team-Grav...c-Engines.html, instead of an oil change and new air filter and spark plugs.

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Anything to spend more money!!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    People get sold up the garden path with needing "Ohlins", when really they just need a service, and maybe a revalve/respring.
    100% agree Nick.

When I had Shock Treatment put the Racetech catridge emulators in the OEM forks on my little CBR250R they said the OEM oil was so rancid(8,000km in just 6 months, I bought brand new) that just changing the oil would have made a huge difference. It amazes me that designers have not found a way to make these suspension components more easily 'user serviced', ie 'drain and refill in place' so they can be serviced every 6 months as they probably should be. Currently it's kinda like having to pull the engine apart just to change the oil.

I'm with you on the 'hard-to-service' aspect! New fork/shock design, anyone?

I've gotta say that I really admire Terry Hay, partly because he's very very good at what he does, but mostly because he also says that OEM suspension is actually pretty darn good these days and that most times you don't need aftermarket suspension.

But (and chubb, this is where you should feel better) there's a cross-over point where you will need (want?) something beyond the capabilities of the OEM stuff eventually. Like, approaching 1:40 at the Creek. Don't get me wrong; I put Ktech suspension in my racebike for last year, because I felt I needed suspension that was capable of more than OEM could provide. But I also spent all year pulling it apart and changing the valving - over and over and over and over and..... because it's so hard to get just right.

The rear shock took several spring changes and revalves (initially by Nigel Pitsch, and more recently by me, because the time and dollar cost was becoming very prohibitive). The forks were even harder, and next week I'm testing some significant new changes to see if it's better through turn 1. It's largely the same with other tuners and brands of suspension too - most require a couple of revalves to get new suspension in the ballpark.

Add to this the fact that each day at the track (and sometimes throughout the day) you need to make adjustments to the settings to suit the conditions (temperature, grip level, etc) to make the bike feel good again, and aftermarket suspension is normally a really bad idea for people that are: a. not at the limit of stock stuff; b. not lapping at B-grade pace or faster; and c. not good at bike setup/suspension adjustment. Revalved/resprung and recently serviced OEM will usually feel and work better for many track day riders and new racers.

The exception to this is when you get a bike with aftermarket stuff that's already been fully fettled, and is working properly (ie someone else has gone through the pain of all the setup changes, adjustments and fine tuning). Then it's unreal!

This is too true Nick. I spent on a brand that I knew were being used successfully and could get settings for as I was struggling with setting up the bitubo stuff. Then I got talked into custom valving by the suspension guru, who claimed they knew what worked. I then spent months and dollars (tyres,track time) trying to get it sorted. I wasn't until Alex Cudlin rode my bike and said I don't know how you can ride that. Then another racer was having exactly the same issues as myself with the same tuners settings that I became confident enough to think it wasn't me and to bite the bullet and redo it all again. This time with known settings by someone who knows the bike and exactly what works. And what do you know, I drop 3 secs just like that. Just on a side note, my brand new shock out of the box had debris inside. So initial pull down to revalve had some benefit.
    Last edited by senator8; 20-01-2014 at 11:06 AM.
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

All the above is why I'm just sticking to what I have with a freshen up. For me, not worth spending $$ on the pro-stuff till I'm not only hitting the limits of my current suspension but also actively adjusting throughout the day. Don't really need infinitely adjustable stuff till I'm making lots of adjustments and find that something is still missing.

Having said that, I've never ridden a bike properly set up. Only been on the track on my 10 / 14 year old Gsxrs. I'm looking forward to getting a baseline and going from there.
    do a burnout

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    Just on a side note, my brand new shock out of the box had debris inside. So initial pull down to revalve had some benefit.
    My brand new Ktech rear had NO rebound damping out of the box. Cost me $1k in a wasted track day ($259, wasted brand new rear UK Ntec ($440 and didn't survive 5 laps), and the best taken out of a new UK front ($300). Plus a trip back to Cessnock (another full day off work, 4+ hours in the car, and pulling the bike apart and putting it back together again to remove and replace the rear shock 3 times) to revalve it for the first time (of several). This is on top of the $1.5k purchase price of the shock. I was not happy, but there's no realistic way of recouping costs from manufacturers that clearly have lax quality control and a laissez faire attitude to customer service.

Retailer/tuner: "Well, that's not right! There's no rebound damping at all"
    Me: "So there's something wrong with the shock out of the box"
    Tuner: "Oh, no, I didn't say that".
    Me: "But you said it has no damping, which is why I destroyed a new tyre and ruined a full day at the track"
    Tuner: "No, it's just the damping has to be adjusted"
    Me: "So there was a problem with it from the factory"
    Tuner: "Nope"
    Me: "I'm confused. Was there something wrong with it"?
    Tuner: "Yes, there was no rebound damping. I checked with the manufacturer and they said that it shouldn't be like that"
    Me: "So there was something wrong with it as it came from the manufacturer"
    Tuner: "Nope. Nothing wrong with it; it just needed adjustment"

I had my rear shock serviced/re-valved and it settled the rear a lot, plenty there for me and I didn't even have to change springs. But then again I wasn't setting the world on fire... mid 45s/46s most of the time. I didn't drop a huge amount of time with the new shock, just over a sec I think. The difference was that before I would do the odd 46 and it took riding a bit out of my comfort zone. After, I'd do the same time or lower, consistently and it felt like I could be pushing more.

Unfortunately I didn't ride much after that... but seeing as Rhino did a heap of 39s on it, including a 39.1, I'll say it works. hahahaha

Btw, all the references above are obviously based on the GP circuit.

After letting the wheels sit for a while with the new paint, i finally got the tires changed over and the new rims on the bike!!!!! resize1.jpgresize2.jpgresize3.jpg

look at that not a bad ride for your 1st track bike love it

motard style I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Carl-52 View Post
    After letting the wheels sit for a while with the new paint, i finally got the tires changed over and the new rims on the bike!!
    Interesting looking rims , did you run out of paint to finish them off. He he ... only joking I actually like them .
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

yeh!! im going to have to get used to that one!!

Motard inspired wheel paint. Don't they do it so you can see when it's locked?

he does race dirt track........... but i dont wanna see them locked up at the track

hahaha dont give me ideas...

Well, in all fairness if I'm gonna answer the topic's question the answer is "NOTHING" but seeing as I got the pictures of my bike with the new fairings freshly painted I thought this would be a good place to post them instead of creating its own little thread as it doesn't deserve one yet! hahaha

Fairings are just loosely mounted (couple of bolts here and there and that's it) but you get the idea... I have to say, I really liked it!

Seeing as there's some paint leftover, he said I can still change it a bit if I didn't like it... Like I said, I really liked it but I was thinking of maybe putting some green into it. Not much more 'cause I don't wanna change the scheme and you have to keep in mind that it still doesn't have the number boards... so I was thinking maybe painting the inside of the ram air/intake thing and 'maybe' the rims but leaving the spokes black. I haven't seen anyone do that on a set of kawi wheels yet and apparently fluoro wheels are very 'in' this season. Not sure if there's enough paint for all that but I might even buy some more 'cause I reckon the wheels would look good at speed!

Feel free to give your opinions as I know you will anyway! hahahaha

Looks nicer than the red.. .

now you just have to be the rider riding it..

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post

now you just have to be the rider riding it..
    wow... wow... wow... let's not get ahead of ourselves here, right?!

wow... wow... wow... let's not get ahead of ourselves here, right?!
    C'mon, Mr Baddie... er I mean Ed

Pft... I wish I was Baddie. I don't even have a trailer yet...

Looks great Ed! Love the scheme and go wheel would kill it!. Sweet as mate

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Had to shorten my belly pan (rear tyre would expand and touch) and make a fiberglass mould to make a cavity in the belly pan to clear my exhaust (exhaust burnt a hole in my belly pan)......

Couple of notes:
    1. I hate fibre glassing!!!!!!
    2. If you need to shorten your belly pan just remember its like cutting the middle from a take away coffee cup and trying to re-aligning the two halves......they dont! You can make it work but its a pain.
    3. Large plastic spoon from the $2 shop makes a great fibre glass mould.
    4. Work out you have to modify your fairing before you paint them.
    4. I hate Fibre glassing!!

photo 1.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpg

It looked pretty good in the end... just needs a lick of paint now! Questions though... what tire are you running? And wouldn't it be easier to just add a or 2 link to the chain?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    Had to shorten my belly pan (rear tyre would expand and touch) and make a fiberglass mould to make a cavity in the belly pan to clear my exhaust (exhaust burnt a hole in my belly pan)......

Couple of notes:
    1. I hate fibre glassing!!!!!!
    2. If you need to shorten your belly pan just remember its like cutting the middle from a take away coffee cup and trying to re-aligning the two halves......they dont! You can make it work but its a pain.
    3. Large plastic spoon from the $2 shop makes a great fibre glass mould.
    4. Work out you have to modify your fairing before you paint them.
    4. I hate Fibre glassing!!

photo 1.jpgphoto 1.jpgphoto 2.jpgphoto 3.jpgphoto 2.jpg
    Looks good John! That shortening was always going to be tricky. And it looks like those SC0's you've got are now going to be perfect! :-)

Running Pirelli Super bike sc2.....

I totally agree it would be easier to add a couple of links. I bought the bike with the current chain (and chain length). I called several bike work shops to see if they had a box of chain off cuts I could look through. Most shops just throw them away. Found a couple who let me look through their stash but could not find the correct chain (i.e. brand and chain model), and I'm not that comfortable adding 2 joining links to the chain. The only other option was to buy a new chain but the current one is still good so I didn't want to replace it.

It looked pretty good in the end... just needs a lick of paint now! Questions though... what tire are you running? And wouldn't it be easier to just add a or 2 link to the chain?

SC0's and plenty of them ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    Looks good John! That shortening was always going to be tricky. And it looks like those SC0's you've got are now going to be perfect! :-)

If you guys want some chain I've got plenty of good spares. Nothing wrong with two properly press fitted master links.
    John, as you get faster on the big girl you'll want to give a bit more wheelbase in the future. Good luck this weekend.
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

ill bring my chain riviter 'spelling ' if you need it just holler

Now you tell me!!! ;-)

Yes Ideally I would love to add as much length as I can to try and keep the front down. I thinking the previous owner tried to shorten the wheel base as much as they could to try and make it turn in better (without having to change the triples).

You wouldn't happen to have a couple of links of a Regina 525 chain would you?

thanks for the encouragement...will give you an update after I get through the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    If you guys want some chain I've got plenty of good spares. Nothing wrong with two properly press fitted master links.
    John, as you get faster on the big girl you'll want to give a bit more wheelbase in the future. Good luck this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu23 View Post
    ill bring my chain riviter 'spelling ' if you need it just holler
    Hey Stu....once I find a some suitable links I will let you know.

cheers

Well, in all fairness if I'm gonna answer the topic's question the answer is "NOTHING" but seeing as I got the pictures of my bike with the new fairings freshly painted I thought this would be a good place to post them instead of creating its own little thread as it doesn't deserve one yet! hahaha

Fairings are just loosely mounted (couple of bolts here and there and that's it) but you get the idea... I have to say, I really liked it!

Seeing as there's some paint leftover, he said I can still change it a bit if I didn't like it... Like I said, I really liked it but I was thinking of maybe putting some green into it. Not much more 'cause I don't wanna change the scheme and you have to keep in mind that it still doesn't have the number boards... so I was thinking maybe painting the inside of the ram air/intake thing and 'maybe' the rims but leaving the spokes black. I haven't seen anyone do that on a set of kawi wheels yet and apparently fluoro wheels are very 'in' this season. Not sure if there's enough paint for all that but I might even buy some more 'cause I reckon the wheels would look good at speed!

Feel free to give your opinions as I know you will anyway! hahahaha

Awesome Paint job Ed. How did you get the colour to match so well between the rims and the trainer wheels ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnalian View Post
    Awesome Paint job Ed. How did you get the colour to match so well between the rims and the trainer wheels ?!

I was actually expecting something like that but thought ppl would comment on the table or the barbie... hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnalian View Post

White wheels too ...

Just my weekend activities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We turned our backyard into concrete.

IMG_0612 (800x600).jpg
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

So when can I store my bikes there??
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    We turned our backyard into concrete.

IMG_0612 (800x600).jpg
    Ooooh oooh oooh!!! That's not concrete, that's a GARAGE FLOOR!!!!!!!!!!!

I've been overhauling my trailer. It started out as your standard 3 rail dirt bike trailer, I've cut it all up and put a checker plate deck, toolbox, 2x wheel chocks, tie down rails to I can run tyre downs.

It was all weathered and starting to rust. This weekend I primed it with rust paint and painted it with hammertone grey.

It's almost complete, just waiting on the tie down rails to arrive this week.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392584074.634056.jpg

Nice mate!! Looks like new.

Yeah nice work mate!
    do a burnout

What I did today...

Did you blast off all the old paint??

And rust??

Thread Information