Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
I'm pretty sure that shock had never been opened ... in 13 years ... Yeah does make you wonder about state of suspension on road bikes ... but then sane people are not riding around the streets at 200+kph with their knee down (well not for very long) ... my guesstimate would be 80% of road only bikes still have chicken strips (which is probably a good thing).
And track bikes. It's the old boiling-a-frog-slowly syndrome - the suspension gets soooo slowly and progressively worse that you simply don't notice.... until it's fixed and then it's unbelievably different. If you could somehow ride your own bike from 5 years ago right now (time machine?), you'd be amazed at how different it feels.

For me, when I jumped on an almost-new R6 for some laps, it was a revelation! OEM suspension, when recently serviced, feels awesome! Virtually as good as uber-exxy aftermarket suspension, but much easier to tune and live with. People get sold up the garden path with needing "Ohlins", when really they just need a service, and maybe a revalve/respring.

It's the equivalent of never servicing your engine, then complaining that it's running like total crap (no horsepower, sounds terrible, hard to start), then proposing that the solution is to buy a brand new full-blown supersport engine, eg from Graves: https://www.gravesport.com/Team-Grav...c-Engines.html, instead of an oil change and new air filter and spark plugs.