Quote Originally Posted by BR View Post
I know there is no way to stop kids doing stupid things in cars but hopefully by giving my son some advanced training I can help keep him safe.
I understand as the father of a 16 yo - I can't specifically answer your question but will share my approach
1 lots of gokarting - there is always someone faster
2 he is on a bike off road and soon to be track time - all ready a broken collar bone so he knows it can bite
3 Bike Ls ... as an L and P instructor some of the stuff we teach seem to scare the Sh!t out of some of them ... reaction time and braking distances etc
4 plan on buying him a UTE ie on one passenger (hopefully)
5 Goes to race meetings and sees the pain (was on the grid wall at Broadford when Grantley got his foot turned around) and that different people have different skill
6 hope to get him in a paddock 4 wheels to try some stupidity

8 Hoping and praying ... cos I know what I was like at that age

Unfortunately I get the feeling that Advanced Driver training can be a bit of a crutch ie I'm trained therefore I'm good - coming back to L & P on the bike often get asked what to do in a crash and the only answer I give is Time and Space will help avoid the crash but once your crashing nothing I can teach will be relevant