Thread: Front end feel and confidence- How far can you push?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I worked with Daz and Jed Metcher today and we set up the bike to be flat in the geometry and the different valving. All my braking and turn in points are no longer where they used to be and so much more support in the front end. The bike pulls up like a champ and I can go so much deeper into the corner. Just have to get used to the new set up to chase some times.

Definitely recommend Daz if you are in Melbourne. It's a hike for us but it's worth it.

Marshy and kris - Thanks heaps for the advice on the setup. I think your right i will need to raise the forks a touch to compensate the raise in rear ride height.
    After my track day on Friday and now after reading all your comments its all making alot more sense. I found the bike did not want to run wide on exit however i did notice that i was tipping in TOO quick on some corners (ie turn 1).

My engine and swing-arm position is all standard (2010 factory) so whatever they left the factory with its got. As for changing the positions i was always under the impression that you had to but the different spacers/shim kit to make adjustments?

Kris- in terms of gearing i'm still using the standard chain however have gone -1tooth on the front and +2 on the rear sprockets. I know i should go 520 but that can come later...i'm no racer.

Guys i cant thank you enough this info on setup for these bikes, its invaluable and although its confusing the shit out of me as there are so many variables, its good to know.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2010 RSV4 FACTORY (TRACK BIKE)
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2005 CBR1000RR (TRACK BIKE SOLD)
    2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    I worked with Daz and Jed Metcher today and we set up the bike to be flat in the geometry and the different valving. All my braking and turn in points are no longer where they used to be and so much more support in the front end. The bike pulls up like a champ and I can go so much deeper into the corner. Just have to get used to the new set up to chase some times.

Definitely recommend Daz if you are in Melbourne. It's a hike for us but it's worth it.
    Hey Chubb. So you were there friday too? How did you go?
    i had a quick chat with Daz and later in the day Jed came up to me and was telling me all about how sensitive these RSV4s are to changes and gave me some great advice.
    Im still having some issues with tearing on my rear tyre so i think i might just go get Daz to setup my geometry he's a great guy(has done my KTM setup)....the bonus is he's 5 mins up the road.

Also now as i've raised the rear i notice at turn 4 under hard braking the rear is a little more unstable than i remember it being.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2010 RSV4 FACTORY (TRACK BIKE)
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2005 CBR1000RR (TRACK BIKE SOLD)
    2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by WRCPUG View Post
    Hey Chubb. So you were there friday too? How did you go?
    i had a quick chat with Daz and later in the day Jed came up to me and was telling me all about how sensitive these RSV4s are to changes and gave me some great advice.
    Im still having some issues with tearing on my rear tyre so i think i might just go get Daz to setup my geometry he's a great guy(has done my KTM setup)....the bonus is he's 5 mins up the road.

Also now as i've raised the rear i notice at turn 4 under hard braking the rear is a little more unstable than i remember it being.
    Yeah I used to have my geometry setup to be nose heavy so the bike turns it quick. Somewhat similar to what you have done. But as I got quicker the bike's front end started walking away from me and the harder and harder I pushed, the worse it became. The rear stepping out became really hard to control.

Friday was all about getting used to the new geometry and front end. Went up in spring rate both front and rear.. It wasn't the best of days to be chasing times as it was on and off raining and cold and windy. Very very windy.

Went to Broadford on the Sunday and was very comfortable with the front end and the way Daz set it up. It's not for everyone but the harder you are on the front the better. Going back to see if I can find more feel on the rear for exit drive.

I smashed my PB at Broadford in 45+ degree track temps so if you can ride it the way he sets it up (very aggressively) it will work out for you in terms of times.

Let me know when you're at the track next. Always keen to have a yarn.
    Last edited by chubb; 15-12-2015 at 08:15 PM.

Thread Information