Thread: DIY Rear Thumb Brake

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I looked at that Brembo setup. It purely drips $$$$ doesn't it.

If anyone wants one of these i would suggest getting onto UK dude immediately about postage and checking the diameter of the tube clamp while you're at it.
    This thing is awesome. I'll post up soon the difficulties i faced installing mine

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnalian View Post
    This thing is awesome. I'll post up soon the difficulties i faced installing mine
    Started using mine to-day at WP before the rain set in, it takes some coordination with the clutch and down shifting pushing the lever and holding on, also the counter steering thing is in their too, but over all it's not a bad thing :-)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mstevo View Post
    Started using mine to-day at WP before the rain set in, it takes some coordination with the clutch and down shifting pushing the lever and holding on, also the counter steering thing is in their too, but over all it's not a bad thing :-)
    This is kind of why i went for the dual setup Mark. My thinking is to continue using the footbrake as i'm used to for quick braking and then use the thumb brake for mid corner settling so i'm adding a skill slowly rather than changing what i know.
    When i first bled it out the thumb brake was rock hard. In the end i added a new Banjo at the top M/C that has a bleed nipple in it but didn't bleed it again to take some of the pressure out of the top line and therefore the thumb brake.

The way the junction valve seems to work is it separates the pressure zones between the top and rear line so you can get some different pressure between the two.
    I tested it out on the dyno this week and it felt pretty good as far as the amount of pressure between the two different levers and what i intend to use them for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carl-52 View Post
    id certainly like to try one for fun otherwise even just getting a quick look so i can dimension it up and then make my own, then find a MC and its all good
    The Brembo Master Cylinders are quite cheap for this setup and easy to buy as well Carl. About $40 i believe from a number of sites. Demon Tweeks and SESraceproducts are two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnalian View Post
    This is kind of why i went for the dual setup Mark. My thinking is to continue using the footbrake as i'm used to for quick braking and then use the thumb brake for mid corner settling so i'm adding a skill slowly rather than changing what i know.
    I never used my rear brake, it caused me to much trouble! so I'm just ahead of you with my thumb brake skill level ;-)
    Last edited by Mstevo; 14-06-2014 at 11:18 AM.
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

i do i do!!! just when your lent over with your uber long knees scraping the ground and the tank its hard to keep my foot near the brake, i have to rotate it outward or when i need the stabilisers out it would be fun to be able to thumb brake the rear

id certainly like to try one for fun otherwise even just getting a quick look so i can dimension it up and then make my own, then find a MC and its all good

Quote Originally Posted by Carl-52 View Post
    Come on young one. Use your foot!!

Thread Information