Thread: Phat3R gets an R6..... finally!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    TBH, and I mean no disrespect Rick, but it's probably geared just right and he rolled on a bit late on that video (or rolled on at the right time but too slow to WOT) ... if he keeps his speed up and the revs above 11K around T12 (that's usually my target there even though I rarely achieve it ahahaha) he won't lose half of what he lost on that video.

Ps: It's impossible to see on the video but I also get the impression he might be short shifting a bit... which, on the 600s I rode, is BIG no no. Anything below, say... 500rpm to the redline, and you're losing time.
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 13-04-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    TBH, and I mean no disrespect Rick, but it's probably geared just right and he rolled on a bit late on that video (or rolled on at the right time but too slow to WOT) ... if he keeps his speed up and the revs above 11K around T12 (that's usually my target there even though I rarely achieve it ahahaha) he won't lose half of what he lost on that video.

Ps: It's impossible to see on the video but I also get the impression he might be short shifting a bit... which, on the 600s I rode, is BIG no no. Anything below, say... 500rpm to the redline, and you're losing time.
    Thx Ed, some good advice in there ...

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    Thx Ed, some good advice in there ...
    Ok, now this is what I always worry about... I posted my opinion and given my experience/track record that's HARDLY an advice! hahahahaha

My one and only advice would be to swap the bolts on the side of the farings for Dzus 'cause I know how much easier those are to play with. But that's it, no riding advice from me! Chances are, you're faster than me anyway.

Plus, even if you do go slow around the track, with the new farings you know you'll do in style... and in the end of the day, that's what really matters.
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 14-04-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Ok, now this is what I always worry about... I posted my opinion and given my experience/track record that's HARDLY an advice! hahahahaha

My one and only advice would be to swap the bolts on the side of the farings for Dzus 'cause I know how much easier those are to play with. But that's it, no riding advice from me! Chances are, you're faster than me anyway.

Plus, even if you do go slow around the track, with the new farings you know you'll do in style... and in the end of the day, that's what really matters.
    All good Ed, Mate I'm so green with track bikes that I'll even take advice from a Kawapowa rider. ;-)

Seriously though, watched the vid you put up and agree the Gixxer gearing could do with some more tweaks / twerks plus I should try and rev it out more to the line. My T12 could definitely do with more work ... (lets not forget T2-T11) ... that's the fun though ... always learning! :-)

I look back at what I was doing 12 months ago and go WTF was I thinking!

My one and only advice would be to swap the bolts on the side of the farings for Dzus
    They are Dzus (quarter turn), just without the D-ring, which I reckon looks ugly. As an aside, I also reckon it's a complete waste of time having D-ring fasteners on the bellypan but then bolts on either side with hex head screws!! It completely defeats the purpose of having tool-less D-ring fasteners. So I figure if you need an Allen key to undo the other bolts, why not have the same size Allen key head quarter-turn Dzus fasteners? You only need to carry the one Allen key, and it's still as quick and convenient as D-ring fasteners but without the ugly flappy D-ring bits.

I've seen some people put in waaaaaay too much effort to replace the hex bolts with Dzus as well (which then really does make removing the bellypan tool-less), but I don't have that kind of time to spare.....

But hey, I'm open to being flamed on this one!
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    They are Dzus (quarter turn), just without the D-ring, which I reckon looks ugly. As an aside, I also reckon it's a complete waste of time having D-ring fasteners on the bellypan but then bolts on either side with hex head screws!! It completely defeats the purpose of having tool-less D-ring fasteners. So I figure if you need an Allen key to undo the other bolts, why not have the same size Allen key head quarter-turn Dzus fasteners? You only need to carry the one Allen key, and it's still as quick and convenient as D-ring fasteners but without the ugly flappy D-ring bits.

I've seen some people put in waaaaaay too much effort to replace the hex bolts with Dzus as well (which then really does make removing the bellypan tool-less), but I don't have that kind of time to spare.....

But hey, I'm open to being flamed on this one!
    The farings I had on the R6 was one of those that allows you to remove the sides separately from the top farings (Racers Edge I think it was) and I freaking LOVED the Dzus. On the ZX6R it would be helpful to have them for the bellypan but I definitely see your point re the hex bolts/tool. I also would like to highlight that it was an 'advice' and as such it probably means I haven't even done it to my own bike yet but wish I did... hahahaha

Thread Information