Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
Yeah, I heard that little doozy too. Apparently they only had 6 booked into red before they started ringing around. It was definitely frowned upon by the Sydney crew and is going to be brought up by the Sydney management about how dangerous it was with the team at Melbourne. Hopefully, they will never pull that sort of stunt again. I just hope the guys they booked into red that shouldn't have been there don't think it is ok to keep booking into red from now on.

As for the oil spill. You can't prepare for that kind of special. He nearly crashed at turn one after dropping oil all the way down the straight, only to re-enter the track and cover race line all the way between turn 1 and 2. Turns out he didn't do his oil filter up tight enough after learning to do an oil change watching Youtube. At least it got cleaned up quicker with everyone helping; it would have taken 2 hours without everyone's help.
So watched it on YouTube OR, as you experienced, hand tightened by an expert mechanic with xyz years experience ... IMHO still think its a design issue that so many people, of all experience levels can get it so wrong. Maybe checked in scrutineering, if they are street, have a quick feel, if they are trackies, belly off so they can have a feel / or MINIMUM lock wired sump and oil filter? Seems crazy for a trackie those are not done?

Spoke to rider involved as we went out to sweep the oil up, he said he didn't know it was leaking, just lost traction and ran off T1. He said he thought that the red flags were for the two guys down so he re entered to get back to the pits. Seems like they need a flag to tell rider to get the hell off the track RIGHT NOW and stay off, we will come and get you.

I feel sorry for the two poor bastards that wiped out on T1 ... some long slide marks through T1 where they went down ... no fault of their own and mangled bikes and bodies.