Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why your R6 needs tank protectors (warning - graphic)

Why your R6 needs tank protectors (warning - graphic)

Tank sliders/protectors are mandatory for racing in the US, and there's a pretty strong argument for making them so here too. The R6 is known for fireballs, particularly the 06/07 and the 08 models. 09 onwards they thickened the tank wall, in addition to the shape change in 08 to reduce the likelihood of splitting the tank.

For those that missed it, this happened yesterday at the Creek.

Before:

And after:

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Holy smokes... no pun intended. Who's bike is that?? And are they ok??

I don't know who it was, but they were circulating very slowly in Red all day, looking actually pretty new to track riding - their style was completely 'road rider' upright, bum on seat, no knee out etc. Maybe a new purchase?? And in the wrong group.

Oh, and they were fine, apparently. No injuries; they just did the bolt as the bike exploded.

More pics, at the scene - before hosing the fire extinguisher foam off.

no wonder there is so many R6 carbon tank sliders available and bugga all other models
    I'm going to get a kit and make some
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

I was out there when this happened. Last session of the day as well. Bummer :(

Oh yeh I remember this! I was there watching a mate go round, I was up around the back in the car and saw the smoke!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374531412.622601.jpg

What a barbecue!!

Man, that bike is toast! (Sorry, couldn't help it!)

member being there that day .. huge fireballs at old t9

Yep that was my first day on the track. Welcome to the furnace.
    do a burnout

Sorry, 3rd day.
    do a burnout

Oh shit that sucks.

Was that you Dan?? Damn son! :(

hahaha no sorry, I can see now how that read. I meant that was my third day at the track and I watched that incident occur. Served as a warning about what can happen.

You sell these tank guards Marshy? I'd rather BBQ at home on the Weber not SMSP!

Chain still looks good .

Any recommendations on some tank sliders?

See if wet4u racing do them

Cheers I will check out wet4u racing, I am finding it difficult to get the sliders for the 06 model. tossing between traxxion, or a UK branded one that they are selling online although I do like the size of the RG racing ones.

Any suggestions?

If RG do them get those ones

forgot to mention they only make them for the 08+ models which sucks, however reading up on the R6 models the 06 tank size is pretty much the same size as the 08. mixed reviews with some saying yes and some saying no.

06 and 08 are quite different tank shapes, and the sliders are NOT interchangeable. Well, you can make them fit, sort of, but they don't properly hug the contours of the tank and it kinda defeats the purpose if they just rip off in a crash.

Wetty has them, but they are exxy. Although if you need them same day, he's your guy. And they quality is great.

I've been using the, ummm, let me check, some name-brand carbon ones out of the states. You get 2.5 sets for the price of one local set, and they are very good quality.

My strong advice is NOT to go for the thick plastic ones!!!! I have found out the hard way (on two separate occasions!!) that they do more damage than they prevent. They snatch, then fold over and massively crease the tank themselves, causing much more damage than not having them (short of an actual split tank and fireball, which is pretty rare).

Where from the states you get them marshy???

I just get mine from pgm but I'm after another set

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    06 and 08 are quite different tank shapes, and the sliders are NOT interchangeable. Well, you can make them fit, sort of, but they don't properly hug the contours of the tank and it kinda defeats the purpose if they just rip off in a crash.

Wetty has them, but they are exxy. Although if you need them same day, he's your guy. And they quality is great.

I've been using the, ummm, let me check, some name-brand carbon ones out of the states. You get 2.5 sets for the price of one local set, and they are very good quality.

My strong advice is NOT to go for the thick plastic ones!!!! I have found out the hard way (on two separate occasions!!) that they do more damage than they prevent. They snatch, then fold over and massively crease the tank themselves, causing much more damage than not having them (short of an actual split tank and fireball, which is pretty rare).
    Thanks Marshy would you know the name of the site by any chance?

DMC Panavto WSS team

These look pretty tough surely you guys know where to get them ?

So I messaged WSS rider Kev Coghlan on Facebook not thinking I would ever get a reply..... Kev turns out to be a top bloke replying and then asks his team where they get them from, turns out its becker carbon but his mechanics reckon there shit and they have to use them and that there are better harder plastic versions out there!

So I don't know, both plastic and carbon fiber Kevlar have there pros and cons....

Plastic obviously would be harder but it can pinch the tank during a crash
    Carbon fibre with apparent kevlar might seem softer

both can be pulled off in a crash

I think i answered my own question "might seem softer"

Carbon fibre with kevlar wins i guess
    Last edited by shippy__; 24-04-2014 at 08:11 AM.

Becker carbon would be bloody expensive!!

This is what I use on all my bikes (I was buying them from the States for more than they are now available here in Oz): http://www.bestem.com.au/Yamaha-YZF-...ard_p_467.html

Wow, some cheap carbon there. Looks like more bits for my pretty bike to wear.

No Kevlar?

So if you have the fiberglass tank cover, should you put those protectors Marshy recommended on the outside, ie on the fiberglass - or under the cover and on the actual tank ... and if so is there room to get the fiberglass cover back on?

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    So if you have the fiberglass tank cover, should you put those protectors Marshy recommended on the outside, ie on the fiberglass - or under the cover and on the actual tank ... and if so is there room to get the fiberglass cover back on?
    Hey Rick. Mine are on the inside, on the tank itself. They sit pretty flush and there is still plenty of room to get the fibreglass tank cover on and off.
    Having dropped it, the tank does seem to take a fair chunk of the injury in a slide. I've not worn through to the sliders yet, hopefully I won't!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Thanks Owen. Very useful info. I have a new tank with good shape and two sets of the protectors so I might try and do both inside and outside to avoid random BBQ's.

Inside is best, so it can't dislodge. The tank cover might rip off in a big crash (I've never seen it happen, but it could). Protecting the tank is paramount. The cover fits fine over the sliders, so long as you're using the thin cf ones, not the massive plastic jobbies.

The tank cover on its own is actually pretty good protection. Most times the fibreglass works like the cf sliders, spreading the impact load and providing significant abrasion resistance. And you thought they were just for show!

What's the best adhesive to stick those protectors to the tank and / or cover? Was thinking a slow drying epoxy, and lightly sand the tank under where they go for a good key?

Sikaflex

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Sikaflex
    +1 The black stuff.

Thanks. I used the black Sikaflex to affix those thin carbon fiber tank side guards to the new tank. I've taped them down for drying overnight, but they look like they have come out very well. Looked at putting the second pair on the outside of the fiberglass cover, but they don't fit snugly, so I'll keep them as spare.

This is how i always do mine to get a neat fit on an R6.

Take the tank off, get a ratchet strap and wrap a towel around where the ratchets sit.

Leave it overnight and by morning its spot on. Black Sikaflex. Stays on your skin for about 8 days

Just ignore this post. It makes non sense without the pictures, and i'm sick of trying to upload them with constant error messages.

Goodnight....!!!
    Last edited by Saturnalian; 22-09-2014 at 12:30 AM.

Makes sense to me, I will use that method for the next tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnalian View Post
    i'm sick of trying to upload them with constant error messages.
    What seems to be the problem, good buddy? Pics are everything! If there's a problem, lets fix it.

still haven't got any....I have everything else.....

Quote Originally Posted by shippy__ View Post
    still haven't got any....I have everything else.....
    Invest in a pair. It will save the tank

I have a spare brand new pair here. Was gonna advertise them (eventually). Yours for $40.

Sure..... cheers nick

Post? Or when are you next at the track?

post i guess..... but don't go especially, just wait till you have to go next

Ill stick some coin in your SS account ?

Thread Information