Thread: A Turtle Wanders onto the Track

A Turtle Wanders onto the Track

'ey lads.

Just stumbled across the forum and saw an impressive amount of brain grapes among you all, so thought I'd sidle on up and try sneak some knowledge scraps.
    Lost most of my enthusiasm for road riding, and am pretty much only interested in the track as of late.

My floppy girl is a K4 Gixxer 600. She's a good lass.
    03.jpg

Currently working on a lot of things to improve my times, but top of the list is my body positioning in right handers which got sort of rooted after I fractured my pelvis and dislocated my right hip, so now my right leg doesnt really like to pivot much.

Hope to run into a few of you in the pits, and happy to soak up whatever knowledge anyone has to offer.

Cheers xoxo

Howdy!

There's usually a contingent at most track days, so keep an eye out for mentions of a garage to meet up in.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Ello Turtle ... good to see you coming out of your shell.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    Ello Turtle ... good to see you coming out of your shell.
    Huehuehuehue

Cheers Marshy, will do.
    If I can get my forks done by Saturday I should be there, and I'm booked in for Jan 2nd too. I'll keep my ear to the ground for any of you lot tearing about.

Welcome, Turtle!
    Deff agree about the road riding... Nowhere near fun enough anymore!
    See you out on track soon!
    Last edited by Turbo; 16-12-2014 at 11:50 PM.
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Welcome Turtle

Welcome mate
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Cheers for the warm welcomes

Welcome! I recognize your name/pic from SR.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    Welcome! I recognize your name/pic from SR.
    Don't take anything i say there seriously :P

Major Insurance Liability Acionyx's Avatar
    Hi guys, just picked up an 01 R6 for dedicated track duty. It lives in Turtle's shed. It is red and he is jelly.

Yes I have a splint on my left arm. Yes it is from crashing a newborn S1000RR. Just on the other side of that fence, actually.

Day-1.jpg

Nice ride!! Looks the goods - that pipe must sound nice.

When's the first track adventure for the R6? And are we gonna see a dedicated build thread for this? I'd be very interested in it. A mate of mine is also keen on an early 600, so would be keen to see what's involved with an older girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Acionyx View Post
    Yes it is from crashing a newborn S1000RR.
    No great loss

Zere are plenty more of ze dirty germans vere they come from.

Hi guys, just picked up an 01 R6 for dedicated track duty. It lives in Turtle's shed. It is red and he is jelly.

Yes I have a splint on my left arm. Yes it is from crashing a newborn S1000RR. Just on the other side of that fence, actually.

Day-1.jpg

Looks great, mate!! Where did you pick her up?
    What are the plans for the track transformation??
    +1 for a build thread!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Watch what your saying Marshy.....world wars have been started for less.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    No great loss

Zere are plenty more of ze dirty germans vere they come from.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    Can't help it.... it's my love of the sultry Italian mistress that makes me do it!

Day-1.jpg
    Was that Kelly's bike?

What's the plans for the crashed s1000rr?

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    Can't help it.... it's my love of the sultry Italian mistress that makes me do it!
    You tell him Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    You tell him Johnny
    Now I'm nervous.... bringing an Aprilia to a fight with a BMW makes me feel like this guy:

Day-1.jpg
    aw shitttt ... don't flip it!
    Pronounced Kang-Ah not Kang-Gah

Thanks for the welcome, guys

Nice ride!! Looks the goods - that pipe must sound nice.

When's the first track adventure for the R6? And are we gonna see a dedicated build thread for this? I'd be very interested in it. A mate of mine is also keen on an early 600, so would be keen to see what's involved with an older girl.
    Thanks Yeah it has a nice tone to it. Quiet, though! Amazingly quiet. It looks like it has a restrictor in the can. Still motors along, though... and let's just say I didn't mind the stealthiness given the questionable legality of my little test ride.

Haven't booked anything yet, probably be a little while - aside from the minimum work on the bike (1kg springs, braided lines + pads), I want to do a bit of road riding to make sure my bent and broken wrists are up to the job before I commit to track days. I can definitely do a build thread, although there's probably not going to be a whole lot going on in it. I have had a few issues tracking down parts and parts compatibility information so just dumping anything I find out might be worth doing anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    Was that Kelly's bike?

What's the plans for the crashed s1000rr?
    Yeah it's Kelly's bike.

NRMA have kindly offered me a replacement in the form of a 2015 model S1K. With the dynamic package. And due to what I've come to regard as my customary incredible luck with the outcome of bike accidents, I happened to call up procycles right after a preorder customer dropped out with his bike already en route and I snaked his spot so I get one of the first in the country without having to have ordered it six months ago.

Really everything keeps coming up roses when I crash horribly. Broke my femur, broke nine ribs and did some other soft tissue damage in my other big crash early last year - was very nicely compensated by insurance *and* when the surgeon bolted my leg back together he corrected a congenital problem I had and I no longer have chronic knee pain on the left hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by KANGA View Post
    aw shitttt ... don't flip it!
    Given my experiences to date I think if I did flip it I'd probably get a public holiday in my honour, an order of australia and a lifetime indexed pension

Post up what you may need.. There are more early r6 s around than you think. .
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

will do. I love that it's just old enough that even chinese crap on ebay is expensive >:[

Thread Information