Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
Errr, I call bullshit on this (see above). I've never seen a rim do that, ever, except carbon fibre rims. Also, I've seen several cracked and actually snapped frames on gixxers from relatively minor offs. The K8 I bought from the auctions a while back (don't ask) had a massive crack all the way along the inside of the main frame rail surrounding the engine, but the bike wasn't very damaged (it certainly wasn't visible until I pulled it apart). Not on a weld or seam, but just in the middle of the main frame spar. Into the bin for that one.

And see the big weld down the side of the frame, directly under the 'S' on the tank? They snap that weld fairly frequently in crashes. The 1000 had a factory recall to reinforce the frame for that issue, but the smaller bikes went un-rectified, despite snapping there too (although presumably slightly less frequently than the bigger bikes).

To be fair to Suzukis, I think that the older ones (ie pre K6 1000 and K7 600/750) were actually rather tough. But from then on, they've been rubbish.
Those ones are fancy pants, no wonder it broke. Mine is made of solid steel. Handles like it too.