Thread: Advice on Fixing Fibreglass Race Fairings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Advice on Fixing Fibreglass Race Fairings

G'day Guys,

So I am having a go at fixing my fairings.

(Sorry Marshy - thought I would have a go before I buy new ones, I figure its a good thing to try and learn)

So I have read heaps on the web about how to etc, but I thought the best place to go to was you guys that have plenty of experience.

1013572_10151705521792357_2033161901_n.jpg972192_10151705521852357_1520029209_n.jpg

Hopefully the two photos uploaded, but I was wanting to ask what the best way to fix the part that is missing? I am happy with how to fix the cracks but just not sure about the large part that's missing.

I thought of maybe cutting up an ice cream lid or something and taping it over the area on the outside. But the Fairing has several cracks around the area and isn't really holding shape.

Cheers guys,

Nathan

I have fixed up minor repairs with smaller holes.. but one as big as that, i would probably whack it back in the mould it came out of to try to repair that big hole

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    I have fixed up minor repairs with smaller holes.. but one as big as that, i would probably whack it back in the mould it came out of to try to repair that big hole
    Hmm thanks Chubb, Unfortunately I don't know what brand they are for the mould.. I might be biting off more then I can chew here.. Might give it a go somehow, if it fails I will be ordering a new belly pan through marshy!

Your ice cream container lid idea is as good as any. You just need a backing (ie a mould) to shape the new glass to. You can close the hole in stages, too; it doesn't have to be all in one large new sheet. Lay some glass over a bit less than half the hole, wait for it to set, then do the other section.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Your ice cream container lid idea is as good as any. You just need a backing (ie a mould) to shape the new glass to. You can close the hole in stages, too; it doesn't have to be all in one large new sheet. Lay some glass over a bit less than half the hole, wait for it to set, then do the other section.
    Thanks Marshy, I was thinking of doing this, and also thought of fixing all the cracks up to get the fairing to hold shape.. I will give it all a go and keep you updated. Thanks again

it's amazing what you can do with a baking tin.

i rebuilt my bellypan as the previous owner hacked it to pieces so he could keep the side stand, it's not pretty but it works

G'day guys,
    So I have successfully been able to fibreglass all the damage to my fairings.
    For the large hole I cut up an ice cream container and shaped it. Plenty of tape and paddle pop sticks to get the desired shape. Not that hard really.
    I am now in the process of filling it all with bog and sanding and shaping.. Very time consuming.
    I am not to far off getting ready to spray them with primer filler and then having a go at putting some colour and clear coat..
    Does anyone know where are good place to get a hvlp gravity feed spray gun would be? And also a good place for paint?
    I have heaps of pics I can out up if anyone is interested.
    Cheers
    Nathan

Definitely attach some pics

Here are some pics of what I have done guys, if you are interested.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice work! Very neat

Awesome work

Looking good dude

just seen this pics nathan done well now ill have someone to do mine wont be long and she will be all painted and ready to go again for September @

Hey guys, so the repair is coming along nicely. I thought I would throw a few more pics of where I am up to.. Finally got a bit of color going on! Hopefully be finished this weekend!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1376529043.845773.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376529056.576401.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1376529065.542702.jpg

Niiiiice!!

great job i have a similar prob with a missing piece i will have to fill in. Question.. if you use a temporary backing item to give the glass some shape, what do you use to stop the resin from sticking to it ?

Mate all I did was cut up an ice cream container the shaped it using paddle pop sticks. I did out anything on the ice cream plastic to stop it sticking and didn't have any problems. But I did read you can use a bit of talc powder not sure how that would go though.

thanks for that, will be giving it a go this weekend

Hey guys so I have just about finished fixing and painting my fairings, so thought I would show the finished product. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377549729.812015.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1377549760.223540.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1377549772.239200.jpg

Good job!

looking good Windy
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Looks great. Well done
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Fantastic job!! Looks great. That'll be worth a couple of seconds, I reckon....

That's a great job!

This looks great. Nice work!
    do a burnout

Thread Information