Thread: Onboard camera setups

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've notices the 360Fly 4K has gps data as well. What are peoples thoughts on the 360' cameras? Novelty or a stayer?
    Pretty sure there's no obdII on the blade (2009).

I like the look of that Garmin Ultra30 Chicken. Interested to see what you think regards ease of use ect. I guess if you forking out big dollars for a camera 4k is the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Krackeye View Post
    What are peoples thoughts on the 360' cameras? Novelty or a stayer?
    Novelty in its current form. Until it loses the massive fish-eye effect, the appeal is very very limited. It makes bike action look soooooooooo far away, even if you're bumping fairings. That said, so did the first GoPro. So in 10 years, everything will probably be 360 degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Krackeye View Post
    I guess if you forking out big dollars for a camera 4k is the way to go.
    I respectfully disagree. The file size for editing and uploading to youtube is not worth it. It'd literally take days to upload a single race in 4k format. And besides, most computers (which let's be honest is where everyone watches youtube) aren't 4k capable, so you'd never see the high quality. Moreover (love that word) for fast action like bike racing a very high framerate is much more important than resolution. The advantage of a high-end 4k camera is to film in 720p at 120fps, rather than 4k at 15 or 30 fps, or even 1080 at 60fps. The action is smoother, slow motion replays hold twice (or more) as much detail etc. Buy a good camera for the framerate, not the resolution. I've got a 4k camera, but I film in 720p at 120fps. Smaller filesize, better action-picture quality, and you need to downsample it to have a realistically uploadable file size anyway, so the high detail is always lost.

My $0.02
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    I respectfully disagree. The file size for editing and uploading to youtube is not worth it. It'd literally take days to upload a single race in 4k format. And besides, most computers (which let's be honest is where everyone watches youtube) aren't 4k capable, so you'd never see the high quality. Moreover (love that word) for fast action like bike racing a very high framerate is much more important than resolution. The advantage of a high-end 4k camera is to film in 720p at 120fps, rather than 4k at 15 or 30 fps, or even 1080 at 60fps. The action is smoother, slow motion replays hold twice (or more) as much detail etc. Buy a good camera for the framerate, not the resolution. I've got a 4k camera, but I film in 720p at 120fps. Smaller filesize, better action-picture quality, and you need to downsample it to have a realistically uploadable file size anyway, so the high detail is always lost.

My $0.02
    Mostly agree but... (there's always one, right?!) if you want a more cinematic image/experience (i.e. you want it to look more like the movies than amateur recordings) 30fps in 4K works a lot better. Ideally, 24fps. I do agree though that for the sheer sense of speed, the higher fps works better. Plus when you slow the image down, the extra fps really makes the slomo look good. 1080p@120fps is almost as big a file size as 4K@30fps though, so something to keep in mind.

Also, the upload speed varies wildly depending on what internet service/provider/etc you have... those on a decent NBN plan should have no trouble uploading files in 4K format.

Disclaimer: I don't use 4K to shoot stuff on the bike. But that's mostly because I very rarely watch my own stuff on TV and Youtube butchers 4K quality anyway so no point uploading it there (vimeo works a lot better though!).
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 03-01-2017 at 02:59 PM.

Thread Information