Thread: How do you ride a bike?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    What does every mean when they say they use the rear brake on exit? Like are you actually opening the throttle while staying on the rear brake? If so, what's the benefit of this? Why can't you just marginally less throttle and control wheel spin in that way?

My biggest trouble with going quick is my entry and exit. I seem to brake way too early into the corners and then find myself coasting to the apex or opening throttle pre-apex, which tends to push me wide on exit. But if I try brake later, obviously I'm needing to trail brake harder and further, but instead I overshoot and run wide. I guess for me I just feel like I have no idea what the front tyre is doing, I'm not sure how much I can actually push the tyre due to my perception that it's like a switch in regards to grip; one second it will be holding, then next second it's gone (like you see in motogp all the time).

How do you guys develope your front end feel and know how hard you can push the front? Is it just trial and error, or is there and actual process to it?

How do you guys develope your front end feel and know how hard you can push the front? Is it just trial and error, or is there and actual process to it?[/QUOTE]

Providing the bike hasn't got some radical setup I look at who else is using that tyre and going fast and figure the tyre is capable of it so just comes down to rider input and trial and error. There is some sort of a window there so I normally use 1/2 to 3/4of that window and leave the rest as back up to catch any mishap. I was put onto using the rear brake on exit about 6 months ago and wouldn't consider not using it now. The rear brake keeps the front end down and allows more throttle to the point where the net result greater than it would be with less power and no brake.
    Last edited by stevem; 19-09-2016 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jashdown View Post
    How do you guys develope your front end feel and know how hard you can push the front? Is it just trial and error, or is there and actual process to it?
    Front end grip isn't usually like a switch (we aren't at MotoGP lean angles). Think more like Marquez's mini-saves, where he picks it up off his knee, but less extreme. I've picked up dozens of front loses with my knee over the years. This is mostly when you're at the limit of grip and go a fraction beyond. Sometimes you'll get a tiny slide that doesn't need picking up, but you feel it. That's a smaller fraction beyond the limit. Practice, and you'll learn the feeling.

A proper lowside (ie no chance of catching the front) is usually an error of some sort, or pushing way too hard.

By just going a tiny bit harder gradually, you'll get to feeling the feedback from the front. And then as you up the pace, you can pretty much rely on the tyre being able to cope with the same thing again (in the same day/conditions with same tyre wear, not forever under any circumstances). This gets you used to the 'next level' of corner speed. And then you trust it: My best laps have had me thinking "I can't believe the front isn't folding here" on the same turn, lap after lap after lap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Front end grip isn't usually like a switch (we aren't at MotoGP lean angles). Think more like Marquez's mini-saves, where he picks it up off his knee, but less extreme. I've picked up dozens of front loses with my knee over the years. This is mostly when you're at the limit of grip and go a fraction beyond. Sometimes you'll get a tiny slide that doesn't need picking up, but you feel it. That's a smaller fraction beyond the limit. Practice, and you'll learn the feeling.

A proper lowside (ie no chance of catching the front) is usually an error of some sort, or pushing way too hard.

By just going a tiny bit harder gradually, you'll get to feeling the feedback from the front. And then as you up the pace, you can pretty much rely on the tyre being able to cope with the same thing again (in the same day/conditions with same tyre wear, not forever under any circumstances). This gets you used to the 'next level' of corner speed. And then you trust it: My best laps have had me thinking "I can't believe the front isn't folding here" on the same turn, lap after lap after lap.
    Great info i'm in the same boat as Jashdown..id love to know how much is too much for the front end. This advice on the fact that the front will give warning before it lets go is great.
    Thanks guys great info.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2010 RSV4 FACTORY (TRACK BIKE)
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2005 CBR1000RR (TRACK BIKE SOLD)
    2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Jashdown View Post
    Just read this in Simon Crafers book Motovudu2 and remembered this discussion. Thought it might help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2013 Aprilia RSV4
    2005 Ducati 999s

Thread Information