PDA

View Full Version : You need to see this.....

Marshy
13-02-2015, 11:24 AM
I had two recent requests for some footage I'd filmed a few years ago at Wakefield and vowed I'd never show in public. The first was for a training video for young riders at MRRDA, who needed an example of getting off the racing line if you have mechanical issues with your motorcycle, and the second was from Lenny, the guy on the Honda that got creamed from behind. Lenny is very lucky to be alive, and despite being told he would never walk again is walking and even riding (slowly, on a dirt bike) with his new full titanium spine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_WKEDHLkEw

Mstevo
13-02-2015, 11:42 AM
I'd love to know what the fast ride was thinking?

as a reasonable quick rider, the 4hr is like playing snooker, you have to be planning the timming of 2 overtakes in advance

Marshy
13-02-2015, 01:54 PM
That wasn't the 4 hour. That was a different event, not St George. The slow rider had a mechanical (electrical?) issue, was trying to fix it whilst trundling down the middle of the straight, then says he saw pit exit and decided to head for it. I don't reckon he was even doing that; he was just fixated on trying to fix whatever the problem was.

He was hardly moving - I don't think he had a running engine. That's why I pointed out just how long he was on the straight, without moving much or pulling off to the inside. He'd hardly moved from the position he was in when I came onto the straight! I dunno how long he had been there before that.

Even though he was visible (reviewing the footage later), I didn't actually see him until I was maybe 50 metres away. You can hear me back off suddenly at the start-finish line - that was when I first noticed him. The rider in front, plus the race focus, meant I didn't see him until I was nearly on him.

At the time, I was very critical of there being no flaggie looking at the main straight. There were multiple separate accidents that weekend alone on the main straight, so in my view it was a safety concern. Particularly with the then-new high wall meaning seeing a dangerous situation was much more difficult.

Mstevo
13-02-2015, 03:10 PM
DOH!
my mistake for some reason I thought it was the 4hr, my comment no longer applies

chubb
13-02-2015, 03:23 PM
Looks like Fx round with the air fence.

Shit not a nice accident. Sometimes in the heat of things we don't really think with our heads

Carl-52
13-02-2015, 03:26 PM
that was brutal... the guy behind you hit him soooo hard! yeh, wakey has had a few main straight incidents, it looked like the marshals at start/finish had a last lap board and was just pulling something else back in...

Button699
13-02-2015, 04:08 PM
I haven't been racing too long ( 2 meets..) But from what I've noticed. It seems the 600 races r way more dangerous than the rest... Glad I bought a litre bike!!!!!!! But that crash is hectic.. I'd say u would have Definately been able to c the bike in the air from pit lane over the concrete whilst sitting down .. Massive impact!!

stevem
13-02-2015, 04:30 PM
That's crazy, no winners there and it will happen again unfortunately. We have to expect the unexpected. When I put my helmet on I use it as a reminder to think about what I am about to do and give it the respect it demands. Lately I have done two race meets and it has surprised me how slow everyone rides the warm up lap. I realize it is only one lap but all the more reason to fully warm the tyres , brakes and the brain up.

Ruckos87
13-02-2015, 05:25 PM
Woe as a newish track rider that'll stick with me.

Marshy
13-02-2015, 05:36 PM
I haven't been racing too long ( 2 meets..) But from what I've noticed. It seems the 600 races r way more dangerous than the rest... Glad I bought a litre bike!!!!!!! But that crash is hectic.. I'd say u would have Definately been able to c the bike in the air from pit lane over the concrete whilst sitting down .. Massive impact!!

Just another example of why litrebikes and 600s shouldn't share the track. Both bikes involved were 1000s, whereas I was on a 600.

Lately I have done two race meets and it has surprised me how slow everyone rides the warm up lap. I realize it is only one lap but all the more reason to fully warm the tyres , brakes and the brain up.

I've spoken up about this at riders briefings before. It's bad and getting worse.

Condor
13-02-2015, 05:40 PM
[QUOTE=Button699;17326]I haven't been racing too long ( 2 meets..) But from what I've noticed. It seems the 600 races r way more dangerous than the rest...

Yes and no for that one. Last round, last year, at st george our 600cc ABCD grade race was the ooonly one all weekend not to get red flagged. and EVERY other race got red flagged.

Also last round at SMSP we didn't get 1 red flag the entire weekend.

Was very pleased with that effort from all my fellow riders

Marshy
13-02-2015, 06:07 PM
[QUOTE=Button699;17326]Was very pleased with that effort from all my fellow riders

Top stuff!! Occasionally motorcycle riders are sensible. Not often, mind ;)

WETTY
14-02-2015, 08:47 AM
stand on the wall at WP (now with high heels short people) and watch how many are looking at either there tacho or there lap timer , i Kringe watching muppets seeing how slow there going or waiting for the magic number to change gear, we dont get a chance to see this at the creek as easily

Phat3R
14-02-2015, 07:34 PM
That slow guy has zero situational awareness! There were multiple bikes before yours Nick, close passing him at almost full tilt closing speed on the straight. To anyone with an ounce of sense not a good place to be, at a min, get a foot or hand out, but as you say get off the fast line.

NSW MA senior licenses are too easy to get IMHO. In WA, have to attend multiple club sponsored training days / 4/5 sessions and learn wide range of race craft and be marked on how well they do. In NSW they just ask if you have a NSW MC road license, pay your money and it's in the mail.

Be interesting to compare St George v MCRCWA (http://www.motorcyclingwa.org.au/index.php?id=31) club crash statistics for racing.

The Club also conducts Racecraft Coaching Courses for street riders and newcomers wishing to license test for competition motorcycle road racing.

Mr.Ed
15-02-2015, 05:28 AM
Reminds me of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbZKhySxQh8

Much luckier outcome though

WETTY
15-02-2015, 08:06 AM
hero's in the slow group ED?

Marshy
15-02-2015, 08:15 AM
Jeez Maurice could ride!! I'd kinda forgotten

Marshy
15-02-2015, 08:15 AM

This one would be the 4 hour, yeah?

chubb
15-02-2015, 08:20 AM
Jeez Maurice could ride!! I'd kinda forgotten

he was terrorizing green group punters this week!

Mr.Ed
15-02-2015, 08:30 AM

That was on the group below "racers" or whatever they're called at WP... Duncan meant to slow down to try and tag behind Wade but then went stupid, I think

hype
15-02-2015, 09:10 PM
I remember that day... closest I'd ever want to be to Drunken Duncan

Double-up groups at Wakey are the best... Terry doesn't mind if you ride adv/racer group as long as you pay :)

Saturnalian
16-02-2015, 10:58 AM
DOH!
my mistake for some reason I thought it was the 4hr, my comment no longer applies

Maybe you just thought that was me in the video Stevo.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turtle
17-03-2015, 12:30 PM
Ugh, giving me flashbacks from a near miss I had at EC.

Was in Yellow, just tipped into turn 1 at close to redline after dropping to 5th, full banked over, and ive come up on this lass on a super old Suzuki GPX or something, who is bolt upright in the middle of the racing line. I managed to stand it up just enough to clear her, but she wouldve felt the wind on her taint I was that close. She would've been doing MAYBE 100kph at max.

I saw her in the distance as I was coming down the straight, but had no idea the speed differential we were carrying. She may as well have been standing still on the freeway. Made me realise how important it is the make sure you know a few different lines.