PDA

View Full Version : Rsv4 oil options to replace Motul 300v factory line

Breesey
07-02-2015, 06:06 AM
Hey all, I've always ran Motul 300v factory line double ester 10w40 and have found it great. Clutch and gearbox feels great. This is getting a little expensive at $120 for 4l. Especially when changing in regularly at every 4 meets on average.

What other options are out there? My gearbox did just shit itself as well but I don't blame the oil. The dogs were just flogge and it was slipping out of gear under load. But that's another story. Anyone used mobil 1 racing 4t?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

WETTY
07-02-2015, 06:54 AM
so you have always used 300v and its great , try buying 1 less late' per week , put the $5 in a jar , wait a month and the best oil you have ever used will be $100, if you wait 2 months , wow

stevem
07-02-2015, 06:57 AM
Breesey I have been running 5-40 Castrol R from Supercheap auto for $70 ( 20% cheaper on long weekends , order a couple online and they deliver for free if you can't make it there. They also have Castrol brake fluid ,not the top shelf but I have been using it dot4 and no worries. Talk to Ben ,he is in the middle of changing brands and has been looking into it. Cheers.

chubb
07-02-2015, 07:54 AM
ipone oils have been working well for me in the 10

Leezx10r
07-02-2015, 10:14 AM
There was quite a few people running castrol when I was looking around the pits at rd1.

What's people's thoughts on changing cheaper oil more often! Or changing more expensive oil less frequently?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevem
07-02-2015, 10:57 AM
I read last week in an article on the net about the numbers and oil. For instance 5 - 30 is viscosity of 5 when cold on warm up and 30 at 100 c . The downside to the additives they use to get the oil to do this is the additives over time break down into sludge so oil changes often is the way to go it just comes down to what oil. I am running Castrol R because that is what BMW recommend for the bike for whatever reason

Jakels
07-02-2015, 04:51 PM
iPone and Motul from the same source aren't they?

Marshy
07-02-2015, 05:53 PM
The father owns Motul and the son, Ipone. Or so I hear on the rumour mill. So yeah, same same.

Marshy
07-02-2015, 05:54 PM
I'm running Castrol Power One Racing too, like lots of people. At the price, it's very hard to beat! Whenever Supercheap has a 20% off sale, grab a trailer load ;)

Leezx10r
07-02-2015, 06:23 PM
I'm running Castrol Power One Racing too, like lots of people. At the price, it's very hard to beat! Whenever Supercheap has a 20% off sale, grab a trailer load ;)

What weight marshy?
Looks like supercheap only sell 5w40 in castrol power 1 racing.

chubb
07-02-2015, 07:27 PM
5w40 is good

Marshy
07-02-2015, 08:33 PM
What weight marshy?
Looks like supercheap only sell 5w40 in castrol power 1 racing.

That's the one. It's fine. Although on some of the RSV4s, they could probably do with something slightly thicker, depending on where they are in their cam-chain tensioner tooth position.... ;)

Button699
07-02-2015, 09:20 PM
That's the one. It's fine. Although on some of the RSV4s, they could probably do with something slightly thicker, depending on where they are in their cam-chain tensioner tooth position.... ;)

Yea fucking cam chain tensioner piece of shit.... Rattle rattle rattle... Is shittin me to tears... I'll try a 15/50. See if that makes a difference on the apes... Although I did notice that the noise did dissappear for a day almost with fresh oil... Compared to old oil...

stevem
07-02-2015, 10:38 PM
They really need manual cam chain tensioners by the sound of it , I put one on the beemer made by ape.

Leezx10r
08-02-2015, 06:06 AM
5w40 is good

Thanks for that. Will keep a eye open for 20% off at supercheap.

Mr.Ed
08-02-2015, 01:35 PM
Don't they give a credit for it if you buy at full price and it goes on sale? I know I got heaps of credit from them for multiple things and I always thought that was why. Oh... have to get a membership thingy but those are free anyway.

Marshy
08-02-2015, 01:42 PM
Don't they give a credit for it if you buy at full price and it goes on sale? I know I got heaps of credit from them for multiple things and I always thought that was why. Oh... have to get a membership thingy but those are free anyway.

Yes, but it has to go on sale within the following two weeks after purchase (from memory). And memberships are $5 I think, but you get $10 in credit or something. They were free when the whole club plus thing was announced. It's totally worth it, just to not have to worry about receipts again!! Warranty claim, no worries, just flash your card or quote your details. No paper receipt needed.

Also, you can select "Notify me when this item goes on sale" and get an email alert. Great if you're after something, but only when it's on sale and you're happy to wait.

Their site search function is still rubbish, but in almost all other respects, they are a shining light of how retail should be done in this day and age.

Mr.Ed
08-02-2015, 02:25 PM
Oh... ok. I wasn't too sure how it worked but was happy with credits regardless hahaha I knew I had gotten my membership for free (plus 10 credit) so I suppose I got lucky then. :)

phunky_monkey
19-02-2015, 12:02 PM
Hey mate, perhaps take a look at Fuchs Silkolene. They're one of the only other oils in the OZ market featuring double-esther (like 300V), and when I buy it in bulk from the QLD distributor it works out at pretty reasonable compared with the Motul.

I use it in my race car (which uses a stroked Hayabusa motor), really nice stuff.

http://www.fuchslubricants.com/racing-4-stroke-engine-oils

Marshy
19-02-2015, 01:36 PM
I like Silkolene brake fluid and stuff. I didn't know they had a good oil too. What sort of price are we talking about?

phunky_monkey
19-02-2015, 04:13 PM
I use the Pro 4 Plus, and the last time I bought it was 2013. The price at the time was $75 + GST for the 4l, and $354 + GST for the 20L.

They also gave a discount for ABN buyers :)

Marshy
19-02-2015, 06:03 PM
That's pretty good, compared to Motul anyway.

phillmac
28-02-2015, 07:28 PM
With the Supercheap Silkoline you just gotta read the label to make sure your getting the sudo full synth, not the semi shit. Was good value for a while.