PDA

View Full Version : How Tight is too Tight?

Negrogrande
28-01-2015, 11:21 AM
I Changed the oil & filter on the R1 and it was leaking oil. (then I overtightened and fucked the filter)
I've got a new filter on but don't want a repeat performance (or a leak). on the gixxer I just went hand tight + a 1/4 turn. is there a general rule of thumb?

I've also put a new crush washer on the sump so it isn't that

Cheers,
Lawson

chubb
28-01-2015, 11:23 AM
same rule of thumb with any bike.. I just go hand tight plus 1/4 turn

Mstevo
28-01-2015, 11:25 AM
fill the filter with oil and put a smear where the "O" ring seats, after you have cleaned it, then screw it on as you described, that's the way I do it and I have to use 300mm multies to undo it as they tighten up when heated

Negrogrande
28-01-2015, 11:28 AM
I will re-smear tonight and get it up to temperature again, I flushed the radiatior again while I was there, but given the radiator cap is under the ram-air tube it will be a full fairing off job for scrutineering on Saturday morning.

Thanks guys

Marshy
28-01-2015, 11:30 AM
All of the above. Lube the o-ring! You need to work out exactly where the leak was from. It might not have been either filter or sump plug.....

Oh, and a trick to removing the filter when doing a service (and I almost always forget this myself!) is to loosen the filter before you warm the bike up to drain the oil. It's much much much easier to loosen when cold.

Mstevo
28-01-2015, 03:48 PM
I will re-smear tonight and get it up to temperature again, I flushed the radiatior again while I was there, but given the radiator cap is under the ram-air tube it will be a full fairing off job for scrutineering on Saturday morning.

Thanks guys

Yep +1
I just sent St George an email about this problem and whether we have to get scrutineered twice because the nose cone part of the fairing will be off?

Linden
28-01-2015, 06:14 PM
Yep +1
I just sent St George an email about this problem and whether we have to get scrutineered twice because the nose cone part of the fairing will be off?

Same issue with lock wire on brakes ... go scrutineering and then change wheels :0