PDA

View Full Version : Noob R6 questions..

Cat
21-01-2015, 10:27 AM
I'm in the process of getting parts together for a 2011 R6. I've picked up a bunch of useful information on this site and elsewhere - cheers Marshy for going over a couple of parts lists. There are a few areas I'm not sure exactly which direction to go in though.

I'm going to put some Race Tech gold valves for compression and rebound in the forks. I'm just not sure whether to get the regular or the high frequency response (HFR) valves for rebound?

I'm looking at getting a mid pipe and slip on but again I'm not sure which pipe and end can are the way to go?

And lastly, I've only ridden on the road before so I will no doubt be slooooowwww and am wondering which tyres would be good for a first timer?

Thanks for tolerating my ignorance! I probably should've listened when everyone told me not to start from scratch. My wallet would've definitely appreciated it. Haha. Sometimes you've got to stick your hand in the fire though....

chubb
21-01-2015, 10:56 AM
Treaded tyres. Wider range of operating temp. That would be the way to go

Marshy
21-01-2015, 12:24 PM
The normal rebound valves are fine, but so are the HFRs. They aren't that different; just pick one (cheapest?).

Dan-Moto for the mid-pipe (cat eliminator pipe). I just sourced a new Arrow secondary mid-pipe and muffler for Sicko's Red build. Not too exxy for a very quality bit of kit. Let me know as we are an Arrow dealer. http://www.linkint.com.au/Product/82-710-02GP_item.html

Tyres: as chubb said, something with tread is good. One of the supersport tyre sets is perfect (Dunlop 212GP, Pirelli Supercorsa SC etc). Some 600 racer on here will probably have some good used ones you can pick up cheaply.

Otherwise, 2nd hand slicks will be fine too, so long as you have warmers and stands.

Cat
21-01-2015, 12:41 PM
Thanks Chubb and Marshy, that pretty much answered all my questions.

Cat
21-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Will that Arrow GP2 silencer's slash cut pass scrutineering at an ECRD?

Turbo
21-01-2015, 02:55 PM
Will that Arrow GP2 silencer's slash cut pass scrutineering at an ECRD?
Hey Cat, all the best with the build. Keep us posted with the progress...
Yes, I've got the Arrow GP2 to be fitted, thanks for letting everybody know, Marshy!! ;)
It's not too easy to see from the web pic but the edge of the slash cut actally has an extra bit of metal welded around and will pass scrutineering....
It's all smoothly ground off too. Here's mine:

http://i.imgur.com/6D6O4ZQ.jpg?1

Leezx10r
21-01-2015, 03:17 PM
Sicko, don't be holding back on us with your build if you have more parts ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo
21-01-2015, 03:31 PM
Sicko, don't be holding back on us with your build if you have more parts ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahahaha, I'm not!! It's just not fitted... Waiting for a mid pipe to turn up :D

Marshy
21-01-2015, 03:33 PM
Yes, I've got the Arrow GP2 to be fitted, thanks for letting everybody know, Marshy!! ;)

Oooooops.! Sorry. :behindsofa:

Turbo
21-01-2015, 03:35 PM
Oooooops.! Sorry. :behindsofa:

Just hope I don't start telling people about your new rocker cover bolts!!
Muhahahahahah!!

Marshy
21-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Just hope I don't start telling people about your new rocker cover bolts!!
Muhahahahahah!!

:eek: or the other surprises in the shed!

chubb
21-01-2015, 03:42 PM
Hahahaha, I'm not!! It's just not fitted... Waiting for a mid pipe to turn up :D

already got it.... lol

Cat
21-01-2015, 04:08 PM
Hey Cat, all the best with the build. Keep us posted with the progress...
It's not too easy to see from the web pic but the edge of the slash cut actally has an extra bit of metal welded around and will pass scrutineering....
It's all smoothly ground off too. Here's mine:

http://i.imgur.com/6D6O4ZQ.jpg?1

I just spent about 20 minutes scouring the Internet on my phone for pictures that might show the rolled edge's gauge, then pinching and zooming,
closing one eye, squinting and trying to approximate whether it was over 3mm.... Haha. Then you go and pull out the micrometer :laser:
Looks sick!

Turbo
21-01-2015, 05:54 PM
I just spent about 20 minutes scouring the Internet on my phone for pictures that might show the rolled edge's gauge, then pinching and zooming,
closing one eye, squinting and trying to approximate whether it was over 3mm.... Haha. Then you go and pull out the micrometer :laser:
Looks sick!

Hahaha! Thought that might be useful!!
It also sounded amazing when I shouted motorbike noises into it :thumb:

Turbo
21-01-2015, 05:58 PM
already got it.... lol
You got a Y-pipe?
dammit, thought you sold all your R6 bits...

chubb
21-01-2015, 06:14 PM
You got a Y-pipe?
dammit, thought you sold all your R6 bits...

no no ... for the 10

Marshy
22-01-2015, 06:24 AM
It also sounded amazing when I shouted motorbike noises into it :thumb:

AHAHAHAHHAAHAA!!!!!! So that's what those noises were..... ;)