PDA

View Full Version : DRAGS BIKE NIGHT

stevem
05-01-2015, 06:15 PM
This Thursday the 8th Jan is bike night at WSID. Starts at 6 pm. Practice your starts ladies

Marshy
05-01-2015, 06:26 PM
I'm so in for this!!

stevem
05-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Don't know what the go will be with slicks and keeping the front tyre warm for braking and the right hander at the end.They do have power there but a long way away from where you line up. Depending how many bike there is the runs might be 10 -15 mins apart if that.

Marshy
05-01-2015, 07:23 PM
I doubt it'll be a concern (although I've never been, so I'm only guessing). Isn't the track all covered with grippy shit, and sticky as anything?

Mr.Ed
05-01-2015, 07:31 PM
Meh... I've done it in slicks and in July. No problems whatsoever. I did get a bit of a spin almost off the line (more like 50-60m into it) a few times but nothing to get concerned about.

Turtle
05-01-2015, 11:38 PM
The launch line is like glue from all the cars. You ain't gonna be slipping less you're on a drag bike or dropping the clutch insanely hard, even then you'll just flip it.

Turbo
06-01-2015, 09:34 AM
I'm mad keen to do some of this. Shoulder doesn't quite allow me to reach the clutch yet...
Very keen to hear how it goes, I'll be there next time for sure!!

Button699
06-01-2015, 05:07 PM
I'm there too...
Marshy- track is only sometimes got contact down and even then its only ever down half track... Can get some mad arse drift off the line for about first two gears= big smile
Let's line up the apes man... Good to see who's has more power!!!

Mr.Ed
06-01-2015, 06:18 PM
The launch line is like glue from all the cars. You ain't gonna be slipping less you're on a drag bike or dropping the clutch insanely hard, even then you'll just flip it.

Yep, but once you click 2nd gear you're well past that line... and cold slicks are pretty well, cold.

Marty
06-01-2015, 06:28 PM
They don't prep the track properly on bike nights and there's no cars to lay down fresh tracks. It is possible to get wheel spin. Just make sure you set your rear pressure low and do a decent burnout. If your running full slick on the front ride around the water and walk back into it instead of rolling through it.

Turtle
06-01-2015, 07:45 PM
Yep, but once you click 2nd gear you're well past that line... and cold slicks are pretty well, cold.

True, I'm only on a 600 so I don't exactly have power to spare.

Marshy
06-01-2015, 08:59 PM
They don't prep the track properly on bike nights and there's no cars to lay down fresh tracks. It is possible to get wheel spin. Just make sure you set your rear pressure low and do a decent burnout. If your running full slick on the front ride around the water and walk back into it instead of rolling through it.

Hmmmm. Ah well; I'm sure it'll be fine! What's the worst that could happen?? Oh right....

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article4184575.ece/alternates/s615/Screen-Shot-2014-09-08-at-162842.jpg

Mr.Ed
06-01-2015, 10:27 PM
True, I'm only on a 600 so I don't exactly have power to spare.

Oi... I am (was once upon a time) on a 600 as well! Let's not talk them down (till we move up)

Turtle
06-01-2015, 10:39 PM
Oi... I am (was once upon a time) on a 600 as well! Let's not talk them down (till we move up)

Oh not talkin em down. Just gently implying Im a fat ass.

Marty
07-01-2015, 07:33 AM
Hmmmm. Ah well; I'm sure it'll be fine! What's the worst that could happen?? Oh right....

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article4184575.ece/alternates/s615/Screen-Shot-2014-09-08-at-162842.jpg

Haha! Nah it'll be fine, but it's important to note the difference in prep though. Once I dragged a car at a private meeting and they fully prepped it, in the briefing they took us to the start line and your shoes got stuck to the track from the glue, like standing in chewing gum! It was so grippy my mates car did its first ever wheel stand that day when it wouldn't ever do it on a Wednesday. I've been to heaps of weeknights and the grip is never like that.

My mrs highsided her CBR 600 at the drags at a Wednesday night street meet :o it just lit up leaving the line and she kept on it till it chucked her off! That's why you do a burnout first to get some heat in ;)

stevem
07-01-2015, 01:43 PM
Don't forget the go pro

Little Mick
09-01-2015, 05:39 AM
Outcomes?

Marshy
09-01-2015, 06:14 AM
The highlight for me was doing my first ever motorcycle burnout!!! Fun fun fun, and totally worth the trip for that alone. I'm gonna have fun removing all the rubber from the undertail now though..... ;)

Great practice fro race starts. I was amazed by the sheer number of bikes in attendance! Quite impressive. The evening started off fantastically, with several runs in fairly quick succession. Then they went into 'race' mode, pairing us up with people, which MASSIVELY slowed down proceedings. Runs after that point were few and far between. Without that, it would've been tops for me personally, although Ben and Steve were loving the competition, so I guess it's horses for courses.

Steve was very, very fast. Although I'm pleased that our 60 foot times weren't worlds apart, so my launching wasn't as atrocious as it has been at some race meets lately. Then his large horsepower advantage really takes over, and he disappears.

All in all, it was a lot of fun! Some more runs per night would've been good. I managed 6 runs, and pulled the plug at 9pm. The guys stayed longer, so I'm not sure how they finished up.

I highly recommend it to anyone needing to practice race starts. However, I'd also suggest that TON's FX RRC/RYM events will give you 16 race starts in a single day, with his separate sighting and warmup laps and 4 races per class, if you cross enter two classes.

Turbo
09-01-2015, 06:27 AM
I highly recommend it to anyone needing to practice race starts. However, I'd also suggest that TON's FX RRC/RYM events will give you 16 race starts in a single day, with his separate sighting and warmup laps and 4 races per class, if you cross enter two classes.

Sounds awesome, thanks for the write-up!
Look forward to giving both a try!!

Turtle
09-01-2015, 06:36 AM
Yeah you'll usually get 5-7 runs depending on turn out. How'd the RSV4 go? Never seen their quarter.

Marshy
09-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Best of a 10.5. I'd never done it before, and was trying a few things, so I'm sure it'd have a little more if ridden better ;)

Steve was doing 10.0s and 10.1s on his Beemer. But 60' times were in the 1.8 to 1.95 range for both of us.

I'm not sure what Ben was getting on his RSV4. 10.7s I think he said. Not sure about 60' times.

Marshy
09-01-2015, 07:00 AM
Oh, and I was on the 09 without launch control. I wanted to get out the '13 and have a crack with LC, but decided to leave it until next time.

WETTY
09-01-2015, 07:33 AM
6 runs is a good nite
back in late 90s pretty much went every wed nite after work
grab the ZX9 demo , drop off at home , swap rear wheel and go prac 60ft , 1.5-6 was best .
top speed and 1/4 time means not alot when road racing , if you want to get into it proper a massive gearing change and lots of setup is needed ,
60ft is where its at for your starts and then it really only works if your off the front row

stevem
09-01-2015, 08:07 AM
Getting 1.5 "s out of a stock wheelbase is off its head, anything from 1.7 is good. I think it works anywhere on the grid . It can get you from the 3rd row on the grid to up with the leaders, it's about 300m to turn 1 at the creek. 60ft times is where it is at , then nailing the gear changes through the gears , not to high not to low rpm.

This was bike only last night and I would have preferred they didn't have the match race thing too. To much down time ,at the start it was about 10 mins between runs we could easily have got 12 + runs .

Medic!
09-01-2015, 09:28 AM
I got 9 runs last night. Best 60 footer 1.765. Best reaction time .009.
Theres no match racing you race who you want not who they tell you to.
They had a break part way and sorted all the bikes into their proper lanes. A lot of guys just picked their own. You have to be in your allocated lane which they tell you at scrutineering. They get very testy about that at times.
I got warned at scrutineering I need a tail light and a plastic chain guard if I want to go again.

Turtle
09-01-2015, 10:07 AM
Their scrutineering is hands down the most anal I've ever been through, along with the registration. Haven't been for about 6 months though so might have changed?

Marshy
09-01-2015, 10:29 AM
Their scrutineering is hands down the most anal I've ever been through, along with the registration. Haven't been for about 6 months though so might have changed?

I got waved through scrutineering with a smile and a few encouraging words from the guy there. Didn't check anything. But it was my racebike, looking like a proper racebike.

stevem
09-01-2015, 10:31 AM
Best 60 footer 1.765. Best reaction time .009.
Theres no match racing you race who you want not who they tell you to.
They had a break part way and sorted all the bikes into their proper lanes.

That break was to sort out the match race, next time I will pass on it . Nice 60 ft time Medic , what was your technique ?
Same for your reaction time also . We shouldn't forget reaction time either , some of mine were .5 ,giving away half a second before you even start.

Marshy
09-01-2015, 10:40 AM
We shouldn't forget reaction time either , some of mine were .5 ,giving away half a second before you even start.

That's only if you're racing. Your time starts when you move, not when the lights go green (I read the Newbie Guide yesterday).

Medic!
09-01-2015, 10:52 AM
That break was to sort out the match race, next time I will pass on it . Nice 60 ft time Medic , what was your technique ?
Same for your reaction time also . We shouldn't forget reaction time either , some of mine were .5 ,giving away half a second before you even start.

Oh ok I missed that as was up the car getting drinks and food.

Usually revving at 10,000 or there abouts, dump the clutch on the last amber before the green. I dont completely let the clutch out and also a bit of throttle controlling. I dont get full throttle until near the end of first.
I had trouble the front lifting too much once in second for all but a couple of passes. Was hoping for a 9 sec pass but only managed a 10.2. Think I could do it if I can keep the front under control.
09 Squidzuki 1000

stevem
09-01-2015, 12:03 PM
That's only if you're racing. Your time starts when you move, not when the lights go green (I read the Newbie Guide yesterday).
Yeah true, but I was thinking more of on the grid in a road race when the lights go out.

Medic!
09-01-2015, 12:49 PM
Marshy I forgot to mention, WD40 sprayed on a rag will wipe the rubber off the bodywork easy as.

Marshy
09-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Thanks kind sir! I will try that :thumb:

Button699
09-01-2015, 08:11 PM
I ended up doing a 10.6 with a 2.1 60 footer... But I was only there to do burnouts