PDA

View Full Version : Long time between track days , how to look after her ( bike storage)

BoB
07-12-2014, 08:09 PM
So after my last day at the track it had been some time , approx 8 months since i last rode her . I had problem on the 2nd session with not reving out on one lap around 9k revs , then came good . possibly the fuel ?
Which prompted some talk in the garage as to what you do when you finish your last session and take her home .

1 - Fuel - finish the last session with as little fuel in the tank and wait till your out next before filling her up therefore not much fuel to go off and will mix with the new stuff when you top it up
or fill the tank up and reduce the amount of air in the tank to stop moisture and fuel going off . possibly drain it and refill it on the next track day .?

2- Coolant / water - Drain her after the last race meet and use coolant until your racing next . ? or just leave the distilled water in and hope its ok replacing it yearly?

3- Brakes - refreshing the fluid after xx months .

4- Oil and filter - wait until your out next and do it just before or change it after the track day and leave her with fresh stuff in her.

5- Anything else?

Little Mick
07-12-2014, 09:19 PM
Dont take such a long break that you need to worry about it? :D :ballchain:

senator8
07-12-2014, 09:38 PM
So after my last day at the track it had been some time , approx 8 months since i last rode her . I had problem on the 2nd session with not reving out on one lap around 9k revs , then came good . possibly the fuel ?
Which prompted some talk in the garage as to what you do when you finish your last session and take her home .

1 - Fuel - finish the last session with as little fuel in the tank and wait till your out next before filling her up therefore not much fuel to go off and will mix with the new stuff when you top it up
or fill the tank up and reduce the amount of air in the tank to stop moisture and fuel going off . possibly drain it and refill it on the next track day .?

2- Coolant / water - Drain her after the last race meet and use coolant until your racing next . ? or just leave the distilled water in and hope its ok replacing it yearly?

3- Brakes - refreshing the fluid after xx months .

4- Oil and filter - wait until your out next and do it just before or change it after the track day and leave her with fresh stuff in her.

5- Anything else?

I don't usually have much fuel in the bike, but haven't had stale fuel issues when just topping up.

Coolant I haven't done either as the distilled water always comes out good. The Suzuki suffered a corroded welsh plug but the bike is 18 years old I don't think that happened in the last couple of years. I would probably use coolant of it was going to be a long storage time.

Brake bleeding is such a few minute job I do it most times pre track. So the fluid is always getting cycled and I do a proper full bleed and flush once a yearish.

My preference is a change of fluids prior, as oil still degrades with time sitting in the bike.

Dont take such a long break that you need to worry about it? :D :ballchain:

Leaving yourself wide open Mick ;)

Little Mick
07-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Leaving yourself wide open Mick ;)

hahaha It was somewhat introspective :P.... or you could have someone else ride it in the mean time... :/

Ironically I found my gopro sim card in my lap top yesterday from the last time I was out on the track.... date of last Video is 6/12/13... 12 months exactly

WETTY
08-12-2014, 07:25 AM
I'm all for coolant

BoB
08-12-2014, 08:05 AM
With so many green machines Wetty how do you leave the fuel tanks , just as they are from track day to track day . ?

WETTY
08-12-2014, 08:08 AM
depends which . injected or carby ? most have no fuel in em , it usually goes in the scooter or the mower or the car or the blower/vac or the gokart

Marshy
08-12-2014, 08:19 AM
I'm all for coolant

If you religiously use distilled/demineralised water, it's not so much of an issue. It'll not discolour after years in the bike, particularly when combined with the tiny splash of coolant still left in the system when you drain em and fill em for racing. ;)

WETTY
08-12-2014, 08:56 AM
If you religiously use distilled/demineralised water, it's not so much of an issue. It'll not discolour after years in the bike, particularly when combined with the tiny splash of coolant still left in the system when you drain em and fill em for racing. ;)

bit hard when it was in storage for 3 yrs

James_
12-12-2014, 05:41 PM
Good thread Rob, totally relevant to my next 3 months of London winter. I was thinking about all the things you mentioned couple weeks ago and decided on the following. If anyone knows for sure please inform!

1 - Fuel - Im thinking if i fill tank to the brim it will reduce ability for condensation/ice to build up inside tank...? obviously drain before next outing.

2- Coolant / water - definitely coolant for the cold

3- Brakes - refreshing the fluid just before next outing

4- Oil and filter - as above

5- Anything else? Butt plug to stop oxidising of cylinder (?)

Saturnalian
12-12-2014, 06:42 PM
Get out there and ride the fucking thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phat3R
12-12-2014, 08:48 PM
Good thread Rob, totally relevant to my next 3 months of London winter. I was thinking about all the things you mentioned couple weeks ago and decided on the following. If anyone knows for sure please inform!

1 - Fuel - Im thinking if i fill tank to the brim it will reduce ability for condensation/ice to build up inside tank...? obviously drain before next outing.

2- Coolant / water - definitely coolant for the cold

3- Brakes - refreshing the fluid just before next outing

4- Oil and filter - as above

5- Anything else? Butt plug to stop oxidising of cylinder (?)

Some good questions James ... hadn't considered ... google had some interesting answers (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/motorcyclewinterstorage.htm) ... I had not considered cardboard under the tyres.

PS good to have you back! ;)

Phat3R
12-12-2014, 08:59 PM
Get out there and ride the fucking thing

Did you sell your R6 on bikesales yet? Sweet ride.

Saturnalian
12-12-2014, 11:01 PM
Did you sell your R6 on bikesales yet? Sweet ride.

Nope... Still tucked up away under the covers

WETTY
13-12-2014, 07:18 AM
Nope... Still tucked up away under the covers
I've almost run out of bikes to sell ;)

Marshy
13-12-2014, 07:31 AM
I've almost run out of bikes to sell ;)

You're stealing Jamie's customers!! ;)

WETTY
13-12-2014, 07:37 AM
You're stealing Jamie's customers!! ;)

i did get 1 of his , but he gave him up pretty quick once he did the numbers

Saturnalian
13-12-2014, 11:06 AM
Just trying to help the fast get faster

WETTY
13-12-2014, 11:16 AM
Just trying to help the fast get faster

my shed is almost empty
another just left the hill

Saturnalian
13-12-2014, 12:06 PM
my shed is almost empty
another just left the hill

Gloat !!!!

James_
13-12-2014, 10:19 PM
Some good questions James ... hadn't considered ... google had some interesting answers (http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/motorcyclewinterstorage.htm) ... I had not considered cardboard under the tyres.

PS good to have you back! ;)

Good googling!

Great to be back, cheers for your help.