PDA

View Full Version : Clubsport Unlimited build

Marshy
17-11-2014, 07:41 AM
So I was thinking of my love of the mighty RSV4, and of the St George championship next year (the plan was to do ASBK, but the calendar is f@#ked, so then maybe FX but the rules are f@#ked), and I saw an opportunity to build a Clubsport Unlimited bike for next season.

It's an 09 RSV4 Factory, and for those not up to speed on the model differences, this is two years before APRC (Aprilia Performance Ride Control - TC, LC, WC). Otherwise they are pretty similar to the current offering. The steering head angles, swingarm pivot point and engine mounting heights are all different to the current bike, but are adjustable (being the Factory, not the R model). The engine is essentially the same. A few little things are different (tank shape, radiator mounts, calipers etc), but much of it is the same.

Only 5,200kms, and hardly any damage besides a big ding in the left side of the frame.

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-1.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-2.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-3.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-4.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-5.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-6.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-7.jpg

Marshy
17-11-2014, 07:44 AM
So let's see what we have here....

First up is a busted swingarm lug, so out comes the swingarm (and pretty much everything else while I'm at it, for a once-over and to clean the oil out of the airbox. Bikes almost always end up with oil in the airbox when they've fallen over - the breather from the gearbox carries oil straight into the airbox).

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-8.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-9.jpg

Marshy
17-11-2014, 07:48 AM
The entire engine is covered in fresh oil and grime.... I reckon the bike has been sitting unridden for a good period of time and the gaskets have dried out a bit. Then it's been run and oil has weeped out everywhere. And I mean everywhere. Every cover is weeping.

It looks terrible, but a quick spray of degreaser and it looks like new! You know it's not old, been-there-forever grime when it doesn't need brushing or scrubbing to get it off. Looks like new with a quick squirt of degreaser and water.

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-10.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-11.jpg

Kris
17-11-2014, 08:27 AM
09 model needs just about ALL gaskets replaced, because nearly every single one of them has a defect. Would replace them all with the latest spec gaskets

chubb
17-11-2014, 08:34 AM
Where do you get your coin Nick?? I want in

Leezx10r
17-11-2014, 09:15 AM
Where do you get all the rsv4 in the country from?
Great build btw, could you run arpc in unlimited?
If so aaron just fitted it to his 09 rsv4f

Kimbo
17-11-2014, 10:01 AM
The back cylinder gaskets leak, Aprilia have changed the design 3 times. Because the cover is bolted on across the middle and not around the outside they flex and they can blow out in the corners. Mine leaked in Darwin 2 years ago. Got another one send up from Dave Ward. 3 bonded it in , hasnt leaked since. also they leaked oil out of the spark plug drain with the older gaskets

Marshy
17-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Where do you get your coin Nick?? I want in

It's all debt-financed, mate. You don't want any of that action, trust me. Unsustainable, but I just can't help myself!!!

Where do you get all the rsv4 in the country from?
Great build btw, could you run arpc in unlimited?
If so aaron just fitted it to his 09 rsv4f

I have my sources ;)

Yes, you can run APRC in Clubsport. There are essentially no rules apart from build date. And I was thinking about adding APRC, but now I reckon I'll just run it old skool as-is. Michael McMillan doesn't run any of the electronics on his current model bikes, so how bad could it be?!?

I would be very keen to hear from Aaron what he thought of the difference with APRC added. Calling Breezey??

Marshy
17-11-2014, 12:42 PM
The back cylinder gaskets leak, Aprilia have changed the design 3 times. Because the cover is bolted on across the middle and not around the outside they flex and they can blow out in the corners. Mine leaked in Darwin 2 years ago. Got another one send up from Dave Ward. 3 bonded it in , hasnt leaked since. also they leaked oil out of the spark plug drain with the older gaskets

It's farken bucketing out everywhere!! It's like the motor has Ebola and is haemorrhaging all over....

Mstevo
17-11-2014, 12:54 PM
Clubsport will be very close racing next year, just what I need to push through to the next level
might have to drop 5kilo's or more over Christmas to stay at the very pointy end... don't like my chances lol

Marshy
17-11-2014, 02:34 PM
might have to drop 5kilo's or more over Christmas

You're already skin and bones!! Just think of us more.... errr... portly gentlemen. ;)

senator8
17-11-2014, 03:20 PM
You're already skin and bones!! Just think of us more.... errr... portly gentlemen. ;)

;)

Thinking I might start playing again in retro next year and if the rules don't change come and play with BM in CS unlimited the following year.
You do find em Nick!

Baddie
17-11-2014, 03:25 PM
;)

Thinking I might start playing again in retro next year and if the rules don't change come and play with BM in CS unlimited the following year.
You do find em Nick!

Sweetness what year model is the Jew burner?

senator8
17-11-2014, 03:27 PM
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/16/ab54c648adbd6a62ec70d7acdeeb9909.jpg

Mstevo
17-11-2014, 04:03 PM

not a chance mate!
especially when you doing 36's ;-)

Turbo
17-11-2014, 06:02 PM
Soooo, I'm seeing what's coming off....
What's to go on it?? :pop2:

Marshy
17-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Soooo, I'm seeing what's coming off....
What's to go on it?? :pop2:

There are a pile of new parts already sitting waiting to go on.... pics very soon!

tempest
17-11-2014, 08:41 PM
great build and i can't wait to see you out there but this is why the CS classes are fu*ked!

not hating the players, disliking the rules!!

Marshy
17-11-2014, 08:52 PM
great build and i can't wait to see you out there but this is why the CS classes are fu*ked!

not hating the players, disliking the rules!!

I don't totally agree there, mate, although I do see your point. I'd happily accept changes to the rules to curb costs or whatever. But the basic premise that different bikes become eligible each year keeps things very interesting, IMHO. I luuuurve that the the 08 R6 became eligible. Same with the 08 CBR1000 in Unlimited (although dunno if anyone is running one) etc.

I would TOTALLY support the basic change to YEAR MODEL, NOT compliance plate!! I paid a massive premium to get an '07 plated '08 R6, which even I think is really, really stoopid!

Hey, why don't we submit a rule change proposal for 2016?? Or even next year, so long as the bike I bought specially isn't subsequently excluded?

What else would you change?? It's 'our club', after all. Thoughts?

Marshy
17-11-2014, 08:54 PM
Just for everyone's info, all VINs have the year model code as the 10th digit (numbers from 0 to 9 for 2000 to 2009, then A, B, C etc). No need for a build date on a compliance plate to easily check eligibility in scrutineering.

tempest
17-11-2014, 10:14 PM
I don't totally agree there, mate, although I do see your point. I'd happily accept changes to the rules to curb costs or whatever. But the basic premise that different bikes become eligible each year keeps things very interesting, IMHO. I luuuurve that the the 08 R6 became eligible. Same with the 08 CBR1000 in Unlimited (although dunno if anyone is running one) etc.

I would TOTALLY support the basic change to YEAR MODEL, NOT compliance plate!! I paid a massive premium to get an '07 plated '08 R6, which even I think is really, really stoopid!

Hey, why don't we submit a rule change proposal for 2016?? Or even next year, so long as the bike I bought specially isn't subsequently excluded?

What else would you change?? It's 'our club', after all. Thoughts?

i'm happy too as my bikes have fallen into the CS class because of the rules! i'm not having a shot at you (i'm jealous you have the resources to do what you do!).

yes it is stoopid we can pay big $$$ just to get a chassis with the 'right' compliance plate. i was lucky had bikes built at the right time of the year for these rules. it's silly any of us can go have the ability to simply have a chassis that was built and stamped >5yrs ago but completely gutt it and fill it full of current spec everything because the basic geometry is the same.

my perception of the idea of CS is to allow an easier introduction into racing and people to utilise "old" race bikes competitively at club level without being hosed by current spec machinery.
this was relevant when manufacturers were updating bikes every 2 yrs but it been many more years since most of the players have released a "new" model.

i was of the understanding the club had no interest in changing the CS rules of rolling build date of >5yrs old. remember we have a club that will allow '636' bikes to race in the 600cc class despite the 'rules' clearly stating otherwise.

do we want to go down the path of PCRA style 'if it was in that era/year and has remained unchanged since". use the zx6r for example. my 11/08 model is identical to the 2014 plate zx6r that i can walk into a dealer and buy tomorrow. they are the same bike! we all know there are other examples out there.

so where too from here.... overhaul the CS idea/class? bikes with carbs only? a list of eligible bikes? a longer rolling period >8yrs? do nothing?

personally i'd like to see the minimum age extended to match the 'lack of development' from the manufacturers. essentially to exclude atleast the current spec model and if not the previous generation also.

this is just a late night rant post work so hopefully it makes some sense!

Marshy
17-11-2014, 10:40 PM
i'm not having a shot at you

That didn't even occur to me, mate. It's just interesting banter!

Good questions there too. Agreed about the 'current spec' thing, although what constitutes a change in model is open to differences of opinion! In my view, the complete lack of TC and electrickery makes the 09 RSV4 a totally different model to the current one.... :whistle: The fact that the motor/frame/suspension etc are only very minorly different (or are identical) makes no nevermind to me!

Too old and you get firmly into PCRA territory, which doesn't interest me. Nor does the strict rules of that category, although to my mind the biggest failing with PCRA is that the age never increases. So bikes that are the best of the time will retain massive value above their nominal value (a green ZX7RRR springs to mind). Same with carbies versus FI - the carb class will not increase in age, ever.

I'm not fussed about the 636 thing, either. I don't think it's particularly advantageous compared to what some people do to their 600 motors (I'm looking at you, Stu and chubb).

Prestons run an 8 year cutoff (I think), which might be better. Currently eligible bikes would have to be grandfathered for a couple of years, of course ;)

And YEAR MODEL, not build date!! I can't say that clearly enough!

But building a fast bike out of an older (slightly) model is fun fun fun! Many of us on here greatly enjoy the engineering challenges, so it's hard to think of anything that could be easily changed without taking away that aspect of the challenge/enjoyment/involvement. In terms of cost, much of it is time and labour, so it doesn't have to be massively expensive (I've never done any engine work at all on any of my bikes, and all the Apes are still running standard headers with just a slipon). A few guys get into the engine stuff a bit, but I don't think anyone is going stupid with it.

Mostly I reckon it's the rider!! I mean, to win last year it wasn't the bike particularly (stock R6 with the usual add-ons - suspension, exhaust, Bazzaz, QS), but rather the amount of track time and practice practice practice I put in. I set a stretch goal and worked really hard to achieve it. For others, it's just having fun at a club racing event, and results aren't so important. In which case, it doesn't really matter how competitive or otherwise their bike is!

Mostly I just want a class where I'm not racing Sean Condon et al....

:peace:

Mr.Ed
18-11-2014, 04:51 AM
The only thing re the longer cutoff date is that older bike will 99% of the time mean more $ on maintenance and that sort of defeats the purpose of a cheaper/easier intro into racing. 8 years might be the magic number but good luck finding an 8yo bike you can hang on to for 2-3 years without spending a fair bit refreshing things at some stage.

Having said that, I'm sure someone will point out that racing is not cheap and bla bla bla... not denying any of that just pointing out that if you buy an 8yo bike, there's a good chance it will cost more than buying a current model in the long run and then when you try and sell it 2-3 years later it probably won't be a nice financial experience.

Little Mick
18-11-2014, 05:25 AM
I have an old girl that fits that bill Ed.. :peace:

in all seriousness, it has been very reliable and relatively low cost to maintain... and it is capable (in the right hands) of mid to low 1:40s at smsp and has been know to do 1:05s at wacky.... I would happily play with her if the rules were so inclined...

I would suggest (as we did last year and early this year) suspension technology would be a guidance - at least sub class it.... you can buy an older bike for around 3K and "learn" how not to crash on it... I mean lets face it... we all need to cut our teeth somewhere.... there is the retro class (which has all the same issues) but it is run concurrent with other classes and the cut off date is 95 so the R6 still doesn't apply in that...The old girl has been orphaned....:cry:

Linden
18-11-2014, 06:36 AM
It's not just the CS look at Twin Sprints ... created to get cheap racing and give the 400s some extra fodder ... and we get bikes like mine (owes me < $2000 after 5years/5,500 km of racing - $7,000 build) and there are 2 696 that are probably worth north of $20,000 and on short track scare much bigger bikes - I'm talking <1.03 at Broadford

So what's the answer ... I like the bucket idea that you have to be prepared sell your bike for < $X,000 if you finish in top 3 of class ... that would stop mega development

Mstevo
18-11-2014, 06:37 AM
Preston MCC's pre modern class has a 10 year rule so my 05 R1 qualifies for them this year, which I'm looking at making my main series, different tracks different opposition etc
Hartwell MCC I thought was the same but Nick say's 8 years(seems strange to have different classes in the same state when your sourcing for the same pool of racers)

As far as St George clubsport goes the 2 front runners this year are running 05 bikes, however an 08 Suzuki and 09 Yamaha have at times been pushing them very hard, it's the top end speed and how quick you get there that is the biggest difference with the younger bikes.

So with Nick deciding to come play and a few of the 2010 Honda's looking to drop down as well, 2015 will be very challenging, and there will be an increasing difference between the fastest and the slowest in the class
I'm sure the spectators will like the close cleaner racing, as will the competitors.

Marshy
18-11-2014, 07:18 AM
I was just mis-remembering with the 8 year comment, Stevo. You'd have a better idea than me of the actual rules. And I keep forgetting the sheer validity of Ed's comments re resale and maintenance of older bikes (which is also why I don't want to get into PCRA or Retro or anything like that).

Sooooo (as we do every couple of years), here we are right back at the beginning, which is that the current rules are pretty close to perfect!! :rockon: :peace:

Certainly the CS 600 class has grown exponentially over the last few years (as older 'current model' bikes have become eligible) to be the largest class at St George. You can't argue with that! If it ain't broke..... ;)

chubb
18-11-2014, 07:29 AM
I'm not fussed about the 636 thing, either. I don't think it's particularly advantageous compared to what some people do to their 600 motors (I'm looking at you, Stu and chubb). :peace:

wait wha??? *feigns ignorance*

So with Nick deciding to come play and a few of the 2010 Honda's looking to drop down as well, 2015 will be very challenging, and there will be an increasing difference between the fastest and the slowest in the class
I'm sure the spectators will like the close cleaner racing, as will the competitors.

as long as its clean racing.. The last St George round has me thinking about still competing next year (not to mention money as well :decision: the 600 crash buggered me up). Certain people get all precious when you are close but still clean. And other certain people just do anything to have a win (which is probably also why there were so many red flag and crashes. Sometimes I think its better just to do track days but then again who knows..

maybe they should do away with clubsports altogether and just run a single class for both 600 & 1000 each

Negrogrande
18-11-2014, 07:54 AM
maybe they should do away with clubsports altogether and just run a single class for both 600 & 1000 each
then there would be 50 bike grids. way scarier than having them split.

I like the rules as is. I think it should be year model but, no biggie in the grand scheme of things

Saturnalian
18-11-2014, 09:51 AM
But building a fast bike out of an older (slightly) model is fun fun fun! Many of us on here greatly enjoy the engineering challenges, so it's hard to think of anything that could be easily changed without taking away that aspect of the challenge/enjoyment/involvement. In terms of cost, much of it is time and labour, so it doesn't have to be massively expensive

Mostly I reckon it's the rider!! I mean, to win last year it wasn't the bike particularly (stock R6 with the usual add-ons - suspension, exhaust, Bazzaz, QS), but rather the amount of track time and practice practice practice I put in. I set a stretch goal and worked really hard to achieve it. For others, it's just having fun at a club racing event, and results aren't so important. In which case, it doesn't really matter how competitive or otherwise their bike is!

:peace:

I think i'm a fair testament to these points.
All good results are about the rider. Until you are already getting good results it will not be about the bike when it comes to getting better results.

I thoroughly enjoyed building my project bike and not only is it a weapon to gaze upon, in the right hands it will be an absolute weapon to race.
As a result of this build though, i have ridden so much less in the last year than the the 3 previous years and, all toys and HP aside, i was slower at the end of this year then i was last year.

I now have something to work on for the next few years and something to do it with....

Mstevo
18-11-2014, 10:33 AM
Jamie, when you build something so nice it's always in the back of your mind "I don't want to crash it" due to emotional attachment from hours of labour and then there's the many $$$ that's been spent
when you loose both those fears it gets easier to push your riding limits to match the bikes limits

senator8
18-11-2014, 10:52 AM
Just for everyone's info, all VINs have the year model code as the 10th digit (numbers from 0 to 9 for 2000 to 2009, then A, B, C etc). No need for a build date on a compliance plate to easily check eligibility in scrutineering.

So is it build date from the vin or compliance date for CS?
Mines 08

Marshy
18-11-2014, 11:37 AM
So is it build date from the vin or compliance date for CS?
Mines 08

It's technically compliance plate date, but I'd ask the club for a 'ruling' that they'll accept build date. It shouldn't matter when it was complied. Same same as the question over year model, rather than build (or compliance?) date. But the current rules are to make it easy for scrutineering, I believe. It also removes any ambiguity. It's either 12/08 (or earlier) or it's not. Simple. Volunteer scrutineers don't need to know the intricacies of model years and variants to know whether a bike is eligible.

Marshy
18-11-2014, 11:39 AM
as long as its clean racing.. The last St George round has me thinking about still competing next year (not to mention money as well :decision: the 600 crash buggered me up). Certain people get all precious when you are close but still clean. And other certain people just do anything to have a win (which is probably also why there were so many red flag and crashes. Sometimes I think its better just to do track days but then again who knows..

Mostly I think this is an inexperience issue. There's too many people on the grid, and novices mixed in with experienced racers. I've got a few ideas we can throw around later.

But I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater, chubb. Most bigger meets (FX, ASBK) don't have anywhere near so many crashes!

chubb
18-11-2014, 11:45 AM
It's technically compliance plate date, but I'd ask the club for a 'ruling' that they'll accept build date. It shouldn't matter when it was complied. Same same as the question over year model, rather than build (or compliance?) date. But the current rules are to make it easy for scrutineering, I believe. It also removes any ambiguity. It's either 12/08 (or earlier) or it's not. Simple. Volunteer scrutineers don't need to know the intricacies of model years and variants to know whether a bike is eligible.

lately they don't even check.. they haven't been for the last 3 rounds

chubb
18-11-2014, 11:46 AM
Mostly I think this is an inexperience issue. There's too many people on the grid, and novices mixed in with experienced racers. I've got a few ideas we can throw around later.

But I wouldn't throw the baby out with the bathwater, chubb. Most bigger meets (FX, ASBK) don't have anywhere near so many crashes!

hmmm really need to know what we are doing next year (bloody governments!!)... Time to sell the R6

senator8
18-11-2014, 12:05 PM

Thanks for that. Not keen to ride the big bike in club racing next year. Was just out of interest, as I've never really studied the CS rules. I'll do FX and spend the year getting back what I lost during the year off and developing myself as a rider.
I don't ever want to be mid pack at a club meeting, ever again.

Saturnalian
18-11-2014, 12:35 PM
I don't ever want to be mid pack at a club meeting, ever again.

Waaahhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

senator8
18-11-2014, 01:15 PM
Waaahhh

You'll be there one day Jamie. ;)
Did I get it right?

3 races, hit or near hit and taken off track for 2 of them - no thanks.

Saturnalian
18-11-2014, 01:21 PM
Boom !! There it is

WETTY
18-11-2014, 05:11 PM
so which to ride ? mmmmmmmm??

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k431/wet4uracing69/0032_zps70ce72b0.jpg (http://s326.photobucket.com/user/wet4uracing69/media/0032_zps70ce72b0.jpg.html)

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k431/wet4uracing69/0042_zpsf69a8280.jpg (http://s326.photobucket.com/user/wet4uracing69/media/0042_zpsf69a8280.jpg.html)
yes they are Kevs old girls

http://i326.photobucket.com/albums/k431/wet4uracing69/eva2004_zps0998dbb7.jpg (http://s326.photobucket.com/user/wet4uracing69/media/eva2004_zps0998dbb7.jpg.html)

Marshy
18-11-2014, 05:47 PM
Hell yeah!! Decisions decisions.

I was chatting with the ginger the other day, and he said nobody but Kevvie could ride one of those. Scared him, I think he said, when he rode it. Reckoned you struggled a bit with it too..... But I was thinking it'd suit you: a gazillion horsepowers, but doesn't go around corners.

WETTY
18-11-2014, 08:02 PM
KC1 has been in hibernation since I tamed it
Took zeno a few goes but we got it rideable (note "it" not her coz it's a beast above 10k) and I did a good time on it then I climbed aboard the new 10rr and it never turned a wheel
Now scarey is EVA the gas chamber mistress , she cooked me good n proper , harder to tame

Nelso
18-11-2014, 08:10 PM
The only thing re the longer cutoff date is that older bike will 99% of the time mean more $ on maintenance and that sort of defeats the purpose of a cheaper/easier intro into racing. 8 years might be the magic number but good luck finding an 8yo bike you can hang on to for 2-3 years without spending a fair bit refreshing things at some stage.

Mine is an '04, has been raced for the last 6 years and hasn't had the engine opened, ever. I have seen two other first gen and one second gen ZX10's that were set up for racing (full of good bits), sell in the last few months and none of them went for more than $4000. Tell me again how these new bikes like the one Marshy is building are going to be cheaper than the 8 to 10 year old bikes. :confused: The fact of the matter is, that building up a 5 year old bike will give you a competitive edge over the other riders, but it will cost a shit load more than running an older bike.

Nelso
18-11-2014, 08:14 PM

Most St George meets don't have anywhere near as many crashes.

I think we can all agree that last weekend was just plain ridiculous.

Nelso
18-11-2014, 08:31 PM
I was just mis-remembering with the 8 year comment, Stevo. You'd have a better idea than me of the actual rules. And I keep forgetting the sheer validity of Ed's comments re resale and maintenance of older bikes (which is also why I don't want to get into PCRA or Retro or anything like that).

Sooooo (as we do every couple of years), here we are right back at the beginning, which is that the current rules are pretty close to perfect!! :rockon: :peace:

Certainly the CS 600 class has grown exponentially over the last few years (as older 'current model' bikes have become eligible) to be the largest class at St George. You can't argue with that! If it ain't broke..... ;)

They are only perfect for those that have the money to keep upgrading. For those that can't afford to change bikes (and there's a lot more than just me) it gets harder to keep up with the Kardashians.

I think CS600 has grown so much for a number of reasons, one of which might be because you have sold so many R6's to potential racers in the last 12 months. ;) :laugh:

senator8
18-11-2014, 08:39 PM
:rofl:

btw Rob, your signature is out of date

senator8
18-11-2014, 08:44 PM
Mine is an '04, has been raced for the last 6 years and hasn't had the engine opened, ever. I have seen two other first gen and one second gen ZX10's that were set up for racing (full of good bits), sell in the last few months and none of them went for more than $4000. Tell me again how these new bikes like the one Marshy is building are going to be cheaper than the 8 to 10 year old bikes. :confused: The fact of the matter is, that building up a 5 year old bike will give you a competitive edge over the other riders, but it will cost a shit load more than running an older bike.

I would agree. There's little to no running cost difference between my two bikes that are 14 years apart (tyres excluded). The engine in the older bike was strong, looked like new inside and probably would have served me for ages longer except for a leaking pesky little welsh plug.

chubb
18-11-2014, 08:49 PM
They are only perfect for those that have the money to keep upgrading. For those that can't afford to change bikes (and there's a lot more than just me) it gets harder to keep up with the Kardashians.

I think CS600 has grown so much for a number of reasons, one of which might be because you have sold so many R6's to potential racers in the last 12 months. ;) :laugh:

600s hasnt really changed since 06... Stu's 06 is still very very competitive... he's just getting old to ride it thats all.. :peace::behindsofa:

WETTY
18-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Nelso fark u cry about how much it costs
Go take up chess and stop moaning
Now where is that new silicone implant for my toot

Marshy
18-11-2014, 10:06 PM

Yeah, but it's all choices, right? You've got a shed-load of different bikes, PCRA bikes, modern(ish) race bikes, road bikes, chook chasers etc etc. Individually they are worth less than my one bike, yes. But I prefer to chuck all my coin (and spanner time and effort and tuning and tweaking and dialling in etc etc) at one single race bike instead. My one racebike cost a lot less than your fleet, I'd reckon.

If you're not worried about being competitive overall in the class, then who cares if me and Jamie and Stu and Chubb and Wetty and Rick etc throw more cash than you at a racebike. If you do care about winning, pick one class/series/bike and throw everything at that.

My $0.02 ;)

Marshy
18-11-2014, 10:11 PM

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/3d/45/67/3d456793152ecb8ca2fdc57d54239116.jpg

You just can't argue against that ;)

Marshy
18-11-2014, 10:31 PM
And a little bit back on topic:

Block off plates fitted (and fitting the one on the back cylinders is almost a drop-the-engine job), a race BMC filter fitted, and opened some goodies! An Arrow Ti slip-on and ss mid-pipe (surprisingly reasonably priced), plus some 520 gearing and a lithium battery.

And a real treat - a new Matris rear shock! Unbelievable quality and again, very reasonably priced, this one from the new Aussie importer, Terry Hay. He was even nice enough to give me a free t-shirt! They are actually a bunch cheaper here from Terry than from the majors in the US. Plus he can tweak it to your liking, if need be (although they are hand-built to order in Italy to your own specs, so it should be pretty close). Can't wait to try it!!

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-12.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-13.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-14.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-15.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-16.jpg

senator8
18-11-2014, 10:56 PM
Very nice mate. Looks like Xmas morning. That shock looks horn

Turbo
19-11-2014, 08:58 AM
http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-16.jpg

Oooooft! That shock looks gorgeous!!

Nelso
19-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Yeah, but it's all choices, right? You've got a shed-load of different bikes, PCRA bikes, modern(ish) race bikes, road bikes, chook chasers etc etc. Individually they are worth less than my one bike, yes. But I prefer to chuck all my coin (and spanner time and effort and tuning and tweaking and dialling in etc etc) at one single race bike instead. My one racebike cost a lot less than your fleet, I'd reckon.

If you're not worried about being competitive overall in the class, then who cares if me and Jamie and Stu and Chubb and Wetty and Rick etc throw more cash than you at a racebike. If you do care about winning, pick one class/series/bike and throw everything at that.

My $0.02 ;)

Yep, I 100% agree and it is a choice that we've made to have a variety of less competitive bikes, rather than one very trick bike. I know that I could get rid of my 5 bikes and get 1 brand new top notch bike, but even then I still wouldn't have the talent to win, so it would be a waste. I wasn't complaining about the rules either, just pointing out that they weren't perfect for everyone. Some people just want cheaper racing, which is probably why the 300 class is gaining popularity.

Nelso
19-11-2014, 02:59 PM
Nelso fark u cry about how much it costs
Go take up chess and stop moaning
Now where is that new silicone implant for my toot

Maybe I should start selling fairings and rearsets then; there seems to be plenty of money in that. If I remember rightly, you were recently sprouting on about how much cheaper it was to ride dirt bikes and crying about the cost of road racing becoming too much to sustain. I know it's hard (from your ivory tower), but try to empathise with the average person who gets paid a modest salary and can't claim any of their costs as a business expense like yourself. If we want the sport to grow, we need to keep the costs to a minimum, so forgive me if I want to keep the cost of racing from increasing to the point that it is out of reach for the average person.

Nelso
19-11-2014, 03:02 PM
Sorry Marshy, I'll keep my mouth shut now and let you get back on topic.

I didn't know Matris made shocks (I have one of their dampers on the ZX10), it will be interesting to hear what you think of it.

WETTY
19-11-2014, 03:08 PM
Maybe I should start selling fairings and rearsets then; there seems to be plenty of money in that. If I remember rightly, you were recently sprouting on about how much cheaper it was to ride dirt bikes and crying about the cost of road racing becoming too much to sustain. I know it's hard (from your ivory tower), but try to empathise with the average person who gets paid a modest salary and can't claim any of their costs as a business expense like yourself. If we want the sport to grow, we need to keep the costs to a minimum, so forgive me if I want to keep the cost of racing from increasing to the point that it is out of reach for the average person.
i buy far less food than you so therefore can afford the luxury of owning my Fibro and all my 36 lovelys . and i am gettin back into gokarting this week coz i said no to 2nds last night and the night before
eat less and ride more , you wanna buy a fairing and some rearsets?

Baddie
19-11-2014, 08:02 PM
This is pretty cool...For a Aprilia anyway.

http://www.bearacer.com/en/rsv4-sbk

Mstevo
19-11-2014, 08:04 PM
i buy far less food than you so therefore can afford the luxury of owning my Fibro and all my 36 lovelys . and i am gettin back into gokarting this week coz i said no to 2nds last night and the night before
eat less and ride more , you wanna buy a fairing and some rearsets?

Really, you want to go there!!!!

OH please come and race in unlimited clubsport next year!!!

WETTY
20-11-2014, 06:35 AM
Really, you want to go there!!!!

OH please come and race in unlimited clubsport next year!!!

already entered.

Baddie
20-11-2014, 09:24 AM
already entered.

On Kev's bike?????

WETTY
20-11-2014, 10:10 AM
On Kev's bike?????

KC1 or EVA

Mstevo
20-11-2014, 11:38 AM
already entered.

excellent!

Marshy
20-11-2014, 11:40 AM
:cool: 2015 Clubsport Unlimited is shaping up to be what CS600 has been the last two seasons! Bring it oooooon!!! :thumb:

chubb
20-11-2014, 12:04 PM
might actually get more than 15 entries this time round...

WETTY
20-11-2014, 12:47 PM
:cool: 2015 Clubsport Unlimited is shaping up to be what CS600 has been the last two seasons! Bring it oooooon!!! :thumb:

Gotta give ya something to film ;)

Mstevo
20-11-2014, 04:04 PM
Gotta give ya something to film ;)

better face your camera backwards then Nick ;-)

Marshy
20-11-2014, 06:48 PM
I think sideways is the best angle for filming Wetty..... he keeps running into me from the side!! ;)

How's that bruise coming along, Wetty? Mine's pretty much gone now.

WETTY
21-11-2014, 07:53 AM
who runs into who , fark. put that vid up will ya, i dare u ;)
it never bruised up but the pain has finally gone , turkey fixes alot , and selling 1 of my girls yest helps even more
now down to 3 RRs , i can almost swing a cat in the shed,

stevem
21-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Probably looks different through 1 green eye

Breesey
21-11-2014, 04:55 PM
It's all debt-financed, mate. You don't want any of that action, trust me. Unsustainable, but I just can't help myself!!!

I have my sources ;)

Yes, you can run APRC in Clubsport. There are essentially no rules apart from build date. And I was thinking about adding APRC, but now I reckon I'll just run it old skool as-is. Michael McMillan doesn't run any of the electronics on his current model bikes, so how bad could it be?!?

I would be very keen to hear from Aaron what he thought of the difference with APRC added. Calling Breezey??

Interesting build mate.

At my slow pace it instantly cut 2 sec off at smsp. With skills it probably doesn't make much difference. I am glad I rode mine for 5 year first as it gave me more of a understanding on where the power/traction is. I have only ridden with APRC for 1 adrc practice say and round 5-6 Rjays so still plenty to learn about it.

If you are interested in doing a retro fit checkout my thread on af1.

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/showthread.php?291922-2009-RSV4-Factory-APRC-Retro-Fit

2009 RSV4 Factory APRC
-----------------------
Race ECU | Pazzo Shorty Levers | Racers Edge Fairings | Akrapovic Full Ti System Shortened | Puig Screen Light Tint | TechSpec Tank Grips | GB Racing Clutch and engine Covers | SATO Rearsets | Graves Frame Protection | 520 Renthal Chain Conversion | Annitori QS | Shorai LiFePO4 Battery

Marshy
21-11-2014, 09:10 PM
who runs into who , fark. put that vid up will ya, i dare u ;)

I will, I will! ;)

And the Sunday vid clearly showed you running into me again. Yeah rite you were overtaking and running out of room.

It's all good tho - rubbing's racing. Punting people off is not, and you haven't done that to me yet! :D

WETTY
22-11-2014, 07:18 AM
I will, I will! ;)

And the Sunday vid clearly showed you running into me again. Yeah rite you were overtaking and running out of room.

It's all good tho - rubbing's racing. Punting people off is not, and you haven't done that to me yet! :D

;)

Marshy
14-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Soooo, now that I actually have proper INTERNET again (it's like the use of your right hand - you don't realise how much you miss it until you don't have it), I can upload some pics again.

The swingarm came back from the welder, which was a relief because it was holding everything up, being such a pivotal part (see what I did there?!?).

Tops job - looks factory ;)

Then the beautiful Matris shock could go in.

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-17.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-18.jpg

The forks came out for a service. The oil was fresh, which is always nice to see (and not very common).

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-19.jpg

While I was there, I heard that you could reverse the top and bottom steering head angle inserts to get the same geometry as the new models, but sadly this is not the case. I might need to hunt down some replacements.

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-20.jpg

New chain and sprockets.

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-21.jpg

Turbo
14-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Soooo, now that I actually have proper INTERNET again (it's like the use of your right hand - you don't realise how much you miss it until you don't have it), I can upload some pics again.

The swingarm came back from the welder, which was a relief because it was holding everything up, being such a pivotal part (see what I did there?!?).

Tops job - looks factory ;)

Then the beautiful Matris shock could go in.

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-17.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-18.jpg

The forks came out for a service. The oil was fresh, which is always nice to see (and not very common).

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-19.jpg

While I was there, I heard that you could reverse the top and bottom steering head angle inserts to get the same geometry as the new models, but sadly this is not the case. I might need to hunt down some replacements.

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-20.jpg

New chain and sprockets.

http://tarmactalk.com/images/csf-21.jpg

Looking tops mate! Well done.
Interested that you've ridden the oem Sachs, Ohlins and now the Matris rear shock.
What's the pick of the bunch? Why and what are the differences????

Marshy
22-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Looking tops mate! Well done.
Interested that you've ridden the oem Sachs, Ohlins and now the Matris rear shock.
What's the pick of the bunch? Why and what are the differences????

So I managed to do some back-to-back testing with the current racebike and the 09 on Friday at the Creek. At the advice of Terry Hay (who I was asking for a heavier rear spring for the Matris), instead of changing springs I shortened the wheelbase a lot and switched to smaller sprockets to reduce the chain's angle of pull (which makes the rear setup more reliant on traction torque, meaning less load on the rear spring, combined with additional reduction in load from the shorter wheelbase). This markedly improved the handling of the bike, which had been slow and very heavy to turn.

The Matris is a revelation! Aside from setting the sag, I haven't felt the need to touch a clicker from the supplied settings (and most of you would know how unusual that is for me!). In contrast, the TTX which I recently fitted to the 2013 bike - and I had been raving about how good it was (after trying 3 different spring rates) - felt wallowy and uncontrolled. It was a clear, distant 2nd to the Matris.

The OEM Ohlins is fairly good in these bikes, although not for hard race use. The Sachs forks are fantastic, but the rear shock is very disappointing. I've recently completely rebuilt, revalved and resprung a Sachs rear shock (including a RaceTech rebound separator valve etc) and it was a vast improvement but still not as good as the OEM Ohlins. Even the OEM Ohlins falls well short of the TTX, which in turn falls well short of the Matris!

I'm still getting my head around the fact that the R6 is a very 'front-end' bike, whereas the RSV4 is clearly extremely 'rear-end'.

I also replaced the fork springs with a 1.075 combo, which greatly improved the front. The 09 is now being let down by front end geometry, so I'll be on the lookout for some replacement steering head angle insert thingies. It seems they were changed by Aprilia in the later model bikes for a good reason!

WETTY
22-12-2014, 12:00 PM
wow . i just bought mine , moaned at Zeno and it was done , lots of work
;)
how easy it is to buy an already prepared bike .

Marshy
22-12-2014, 01:56 PM
how easy it is to buy an already prepared bike .

Yeah, but all this setting up and dialling in really floats my boat. I'm totally bored once a bike is fixed and fast.... I lose interest completely!

WETTY
22-12-2014, 02:31 PM
Yeah, but all this setting up and dialling in really floats my boat. I'm totally bored once a bike is fixed and fast.... I lose interest completely!

what ever keeps your boat afloat , i am well over workin on em at the track , rather stand back and admire my well oiled machine ;)

Mstevo
22-12-2014, 02:41 PM
what ever keeps your boat afloat , i am well over workin on em at the track , rather stand back and admire my well oiled machine ;)

you are talking about your bike ???......right!!

Turbo
22-12-2014, 02:42 PM

Yeah, I think there is a line in there somewhere... Love to be dialling something in but I'd rather not be forced to rip the whole bike apart because it won't start!

WETTY
22-12-2014, 02:54 PM
you are talking about your bike ???......right!!

entry is in

chubb
22-12-2014, 03:11 PM
bring out the camera man

Marshy
22-12-2014, 03:23 PM
Love to be dialling something in but I'd rather not be forced to rip the whole bike apart because it won't start!

Totes!! That's why I don't like old bikes.

senator8
22-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Love to be dialling something in but I'd rather not be forced to rip the whole bike apart because it won't start!

That happened to me the other week, and my bike is well prepared. Don't ever want to experience it again.
It's since done a few hot laps of Wenty, but still worries me!

WETTY
22-12-2014, 05:34 PM
That happened to me the other week, and my bike is well prepared. Don't ever want to experience it again.
It's since done a few hot laps of Wenty, but still worries me!

constitution Hill thankyou

senator8
22-12-2014, 05:38 PM
constitution Hill thankyou

Was going to state correctly but wasn't sure about giving the game away.

Saturnalian
22-12-2014, 07:51 PM
bring out the camera man

Is that what you're calling me now ?

Turbo
24-12-2014, 11:44 AM
The OEM Ohlins is fairly good in these bikes, although not for hard race use. The Sachs forks are fantastic, but the rear shock is very disappointing. I've recently completely rebuilt, revalved and resprung a Sachs rear shock (including a RaceTech rebound separator valve etc) and it was a vast improvement but still not as good as the OEM Ohlins. Even the OEM Ohlins falls well short of the TTX, which in turn falls well short of the Matris!

So, how do you pick a shock.. just try them all until you find something that works?
In relation to that, how much of what you felt is down to rider preference as opposed to anything else? I remember you saying you enjoyed a softer rear.. might someone else gel with a different shock for different reasons?

Marshy
04-01-2015, 10:32 PM
This Clubsport bike is really coming together now! Had it on track on Friday, and it was getting better, but still some issues. The most important from Friday was to fix the oil leaks!! It had gone from a slow weeping to dripping off the side covers and spattering on the exhaust. So yesterday the rocker covers came off and were sealed properly, which has solved the problem for now.

I added an ECU with the 'race' unlock Ape mapping, which gives a few extra ponies for free.

Took it out again today, and concentrated on making setup changes to get it dialled in (today was the last track day for me before the St George weekend). It had been getting better on Friday after making a fairly radical geometry change, and then today I just made a string of relatively small geometry changes (and a couple of clicks here and there) to tweak the setup. It's absolutely gold now! It needs another small tweak (I went slightly too far in the last session), but aside from that it's totally cranking! Still not as quick as the 2013, but it's actually a lot closer than I expected.

A pic from today:

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10888566_986781158002044_3939021565949705191_n.jpg ?oh=e071a7bc30d2dafc54a92895eb244fe5&oe=5536EF6E

stevem
05-01-2015, 06:08 AM
That was good catching up in that last session man , good riding , respect mate. I appreciate the feed back.

chubb
05-01-2015, 06:20 AM
You two just slowly pulled away. It was awesome to watch and I can see where I need to make changes! Look forward to the next one guys.

Marshy
05-01-2015, 07:03 AM
That was good catching up in that last session man , good riding , respect mate. I appreciate the feed back.

Thanks mate - it was simply unreal fun trying to stick on your back wheel!! You've greatly assisted me with my T1 demons too, so props for that. Of course, the faster I get through T1, the less dangerous it feels. Scraping my toe through 1 is a first for me.....

Bloody awesome last session, that one. I'm still grinning!! Fark I'm tired though. Not enough track time lately is taking its toll. Can't wait for St George!!

stevem
06-01-2015, 06:57 AM
You two just slowly pulled away. It was awesome to watch and I can see where I need to make changes! Look forward to the next one guys.

We have never really met ,I'll catch up with you next time out Chubb .Congrats on the new ride mate , your riding well .

James_
09-01-2015, 06:17 AM
....but I'd rather not be forced to rip the whole bike apart because it won't start!

errr...? *coughfirsttimeoutonchampbikecough*

Issues at the track on any bike new or old sucks balls. BUT there is a bit of excitement as to whether or not it can be fixed by the next session, or at least before the last session!

*cracks fingers and puts behind head* :cool: But you know, personally, I fix the issues before I go to the track....... *hoping no one remembers the numerous times something broke, got stuck leaving me at some corner watching the rest of the session finish*:whistle:

Turbo
09-01-2015, 06:24 AM
errr...? *coughfirsttimeoutonchampbikecough*

Issues at the track on any bike new or old sucks balls. BUT there is a bit of excitement as to whether or not it can be fixed by the next session, or at least before the last session!

*cracks fingers and puts behind head* :cool: But you know, personally, I fix the issues before I go to the track....... *hoping no one remembers the numerous times something broke, got stuck leaving me at some corner watching the rest of the session finish*:whistle:

hahaha, exactly!! I'd really rather not!
I blame the shonky mechanic for that tho :boxing:

James_
09-01-2015, 06:27 AM
haha yeah, sabbotage fo' sho'

Marshy
09-01-2015, 06:33 AM
I blame the shonky mechanic for that tho :boxing:

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/54475073.jpg