PDA

View Full Version : Mantis infrared Temperature Sensor

KANGA
15-11-2014, 02:25 PM
Just saw this little device on facebook. Looks interesting.

The Mantis Infrared Temperature Sensor by DRIVEN Racing. The Mantis non-contact infrared sensor utilizes a 17 bit analog to digital converter and a powerful digital signal processing unit. With a resolution of 0.02°C, the Mantis sensor is a highly precise measuring instrument.
A proprietary lens serves to create a wide-angle field of view for the sensor to observe infrared radiation emitted from the tire's surface. Additionally, the lens protects the sensor from being damaged by road debris.
Encapsulating the senor's electronic component assembly is a durable injection-molded polycarbonate housing.
The Mantis display unit houses a glare-free liquid crystal display and a processor capable of converting raw data from the thermal sensor into valuable human-readable information, in real time.
Programmable alerts can be easily set, and are useful in alerting the rider when his/her tire temperatures exceed the desired range.
http://www.drivenracing.com/embrace/mantis

https://vimeo.com/107671394

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srdpyeMxRFg

Turbo
15-11-2014, 02:34 PM
Interesting! could be useful for endurance races where you need the most from your tyre and might have to modify your pace to get the longevity.
Wouldn't hurt to be a failsafe that your tyres were up to temp before chucking it around too!

Mr.Ed
15-11-2014, 02:43 PM
Pretty cool but that display is huge... wonder if the 2 diff numbers mean it reads both sides of the tire or Front and Rear?

Marshy
16-11-2014, 04:01 PM
Pretty cool but that display is huge... wonder if the 2 diff numbers mean it reads both sides of the tire or Front and Rear?

F/R. I had a look at it a while back. It doesn't appeal to me purely because it's a 'centre-of-the-tyre' temp, and not an either-side edge temp. Andrew Turner was building one a year or two ago that had three sensors, left, middle and right temp. Don't think he ever quite finished it though.

If this one had the three (or even the two sides only) temps, I'd be keen. Good idea in principle, poorly executed. The sensor mounts etc don't look great either.

Mr.Ed
16-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks, you just confirmed my suspicion! ;)

Little Mick
16-11-2014, 05:26 PM
no reason why you couldn't set up 2 - one for front and one for rear? this would give 2 channels per wheel allowing for l/r temps for each wheel

Mr.Ed
16-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Other than cost and the size of the displays, you mean?

Little Mick
16-11-2014, 05:46 PM
money is never an issue when racing Ed... you know that... :D and if looking at one display isn't a distraction, then stereo vision will be awesome!!:lol:

Mr.Ed
16-11-2014, 05:51 PM
money is never an issue when racing Ed... you know that... :D and if looking at one display isn't a distraction, then stereo vision will be awesome!!:lol:

haha true words all around... btw, when u at the track next? Stop pretending you don't have a day lined up just so you can make your comeback sooner than me!

Little Mick
16-11-2014, 05:53 PM
hahahaaaaaa.. I can only wish... need to get a few things sorted for shed first.... will be out there volunteering next weekend tho... what about you?

Mr.Ed
16-11-2014, 06:12 PM
Just waiting for you to tell me when... hahahaha

In all seriousness though, I need to pull my finger and buy a couple of sets of tires and a battery (the one on the bike is prob dead by now) and I'm ready!

Little Mick
16-11-2014, 06:15 PM
You drive a hard bargain ed..... I'm thinking an ardc day In the new year

Marshy
16-11-2014, 06:28 PM
What about the ARDC day on the 5th Dec?? GP circuit :peace:

Little Mick
16-11-2014, 06:29 PM
Too many commitments with work already marshy... would love to otherwise....

Mr.Ed
16-11-2014, 09:09 PM
Yeah... don't think I can do the 5th either but I'll see.