PDA

View Full Version : Correct adhesive for reaffixing heat shield to belly pan.

Phat3R
21-09-2014, 10:50 PM
I spilled a significant amount of fuel into the belly pan when I first got the R6. The heat shield sheet has completely lifted up and is floating around. Looks like the adhesive doesn't like fuel. I was after some suggestions regarding what would be the best adhesive to re affix it to the inside of the belly pan. Adhesive would have to put up with a fair amount of heat and vibration, and if it could survive a little fuel leak that would be a bonus! Should I clean all the tacky adhesive off the heat shield, and prep the inside of the belly pan? Or just bin the old heat shield completely and put a new one in?

Saturnalian
21-09-2014, 11:21 PM
I had exactly the same thing happen the first day i took project Clubsport out when i emptied about 5 litres of fuel into the Bellypan before the first session.

I just got a paint scraper, ripped it out and stuck a new lot in.

Marshy
22-09-2014, 08:19 AM
New stuff is probably best. Although some good quality 3M double-sided would probably work too. Or a few strategic dollops of sikaflex would do the job!!

Mr.Ed
22-09-2014, 09:13 AM
I have no advice but I'm somewhat relieved to hear I'm not the only person that is challenged by refueling hahaha

Saturnalian
22-09-2014, 05:23 PM
Once the fuel has gotten into the heat shield it separates and its insulation factor essentially becomes zero. For $60 on eBay you'll find a sheet of thermal reflective heat shield that you can cut to size and it will do the job just dandy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk