PDA

View Full Version : Bugger!

Marshy
13-08-2014, 11:39 PM
So I'm backing the trailer up yesterday, and as I'm looking in the side mirror I see the trailer tyre deflate instantly! Not just a nail in the tyre or anything, but 2 secs to dead flat kind of deflation. I thought I must've run over a blade or something, but there didn't seem to be anything on the ground or visibly sticking out of the tyre.

However the brake caliper had lost a retaining bolt and had rotated outwards towards the wheel. It swung back into position very easily, so I wasn't worried about it.

I took the wheel off today to look for the puncture. Nothing in the tyre. I stuck the air hose on, and realised air was pissing out somewhere! Then I turned the wheel over.

And here's the problem. Reckon it's still good??:

http://tarmactalk.com/images/trailer-wheel-1.jpg

http://tarmactalk.com/images/trailer-wheel-2.jpg

DisPlaCeD
14-08-2014, 05:45 AM
Pretty sure MacGyver would use a packet of chewing gum for that. Should hold just before you get back from PI, then you'll have a driving action sequence and get the girl. Damn Marshy, why you so smooth?!! Hahaha

chubb
14-08-2014, 09:18 AM
knead it steel :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Kris
14-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Was this the Ford or the Merc? Thats a huge arse crack!

Marshy
14-08-2014, 10:35 AM
Cheap-ass trailer wheels. That fucken trailer has been nothing but trouble. :frusty:

Kris
14-08-2014, 10:48 AM
:( :(

senator8
14-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Lucky that it happened in the driveway! :car:

Mr.Ed
14-08-2014, 03:40 PM
Lucky that it happened in the driveway! :car:

This!

I'd just get 2 new wheels for the peace of mind... if that happened on the highway you'd be in trouble.

Binksy
14-08-2014, 04:46 PM
This!

I'd just get 2 new wheels for the peace of mind... if that happened on the highway you'd be in trouble.

Not sure that is really required. If this is due to the caliper hitting the inside of the rim it's not all that surprising. There would be a fair force behind it even at low speed with brake drag and the caliper rotating on a single bolt. More important thing to do would be to check the torque of the other caliper bolts.

Where's the lockwire :P

Eddie Lee
14-08-2014, 07:24 PM
What specs marshy? 5x100 or 5x114.3? I bought a sets of new rims with almost new tyres on them, but I only need 2 for my trailer

Marshy
14-08-2014, 11:18 PM
What specs marshy? 5x100 or 5x114.3? I bought a sets of new rims with almost new tyres on them, but I only need 2 for my trailer

Ford pattern, Eddie, so 5x114.3. What size are yours? :pray:

Marshy
14-08-2014, 11:24 PM
Not sure that is really required. If this is due to the caliper hitting the inside of the rim it's not all that surprising. There would be a fair force behind it even at low speed with brake drag and the caliper rotating on a single bolt. More important thing to do would be to check the torque of the other caliper bolts.

Where's the lockwire :P

I was hardly moving, but it's all the weight of the trailer AND the 2-ton Territory rolling back onto it, so it's not surprising I guess. Lockwire is a tops idea!! ;)

Eddie Lee
15-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Ford pattern, Eddie, so 5x114.3. What size are yours? :pray:

Off Nissan S15 turbo, so.... it is 5 x 114.3! :D
18 inch gold wheel with 2 near new tyres (6mm treads), you can have them both for 150 man

Marshy
15-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Eddie, I could hug you! I'll take them mate, thanks :D :thumb:

Can I pick them up tomorrow?

Eddie Lee
15-08-2014, 08:36 PM
Eddie, I could hug you! I'll take them mate, thanks :D :thumb:

Can I pick them up tomorrow?

Bad news marshy, got all the tyres pumped and found 1 got a slow air leak, then I found 1 of them has a 2 cm crack....

Does anyone know how to fix it?

chubb
15-08-2014, 08:59 PM
What are you people doing to your rims??????

Phat3R
15-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Bad news marshy, got all the tyres pumped and found 1 got a slow air leak, then I found 1 of them has a 2 cm crack....

Does anyone know how to fix it?

Lucky you bought four ... but no spare now ... think you got royally screwed on that purchase Eddie.

Well Nick could rent the working two for the week ...???

Marshy
15-08-2014, 10:05 PM
You wouldn't believe it, but trying to park the trailer again today (after an aborted trip to the track), I backed it off the concrete slab for the first time ever (in 5 years of parking it in the same place), and when I dragged it back up onto the slab the OTHER tyre suffered rapid deflation!!! I only had one spare, so I'm totally screwed now.

Eddie, that wheel can probably be fixed by Laurie or David Alderton, but it'll cost $150 to $200 just for the repair.

Mr.Ed
15-08-2014, 10:08 PM
I have a set of Fords you can borrow if you want Marshy... they're 16" stockies that came with the ute. One of them was leaking when I had it on the car... not much but enough to have to pump it once a week as it would drop 4-5psi. The other 3 are fine. They don't look as nice as gold 18"s but they'd do the job.

Phat3R
15-08-2014, 10:48 PM
You wouldn't believe it, but trying to park the trailer again today (after an aborted trip to the track), I backed it off the concrete slab for the first time ever (in 5 years of parking it in the same place), and when I dragged it back up onto the slab the OTHER tyre suffered rapid deflation!!!

I have no idea how you manage to park the trailer in that spot ... some sort of parking limbo dancing ...

:brushteeth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2Xq05-wLig

BoB
15-08-2014, 10:54 PM
im still yet to visualise you reverse parking the tailer up that driveway .. i struggle to just park the car on it yet alone having a trailer connected....:fear:

Turbo
16-08-2014, 11:14 AM
I backed it off the concrete slab for the first time ever (in 5 years of parking it in the same place), and when I dragged it back up onto the slab the OTHER tyre suffered rapid deflation!!! I only had one spare, so I'm totally screwed now.

FARK!! :doh:

Negrogrande
16-08-2014, 12:48 PM
I have no idea how you manage to park the trailer in that spot ... some sort of parking limbo dancing ...

:brushteeth:

I have often thought the same thing

Phat3R
16-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Did you sort out your wheels / trailer Nick / re PI & Broady road trip??? Worth considering downgrading with steel wheels that bend rather than crack?

Eddie Lee
16-08-2014, 05:10 PM
You wouldn't believe it, but trying to park the trailer again today (after an aborted trip to the track), I backed it off the concrete slab for the first time ever (in 5 years of parking it in the same place), and when I dragged it back up onto the slab the OTHER tyre suffered rapid deflation!!! I only had one spare, so I'm totally screwed now.

Eddie, that wheel can probably be fixed by Laurie or David Alderton, but it'll cost $150 to $200 just for the repair.

Ohhh damn, that's too expensive man... might just chuck it and buy another one...

Eddie Lee
16-08-2014, 05:13 PM

OMG did you reverse the trailer back that slope at your house!? Is that even possible!?!? LOL.... :D

Eddie Lee
16-08-2014, 05:14 PM

Yeah marshy you can take my other 2 wheels for the trip 1st man, just give it back to me when you come back, as I am having exam, won't be doing any TD or ARDC in these 2 weeks anyway

Marshy
16-08-2014, 06:36 PM
Did you sort out your wheels / trailer Nick / re PI & Broady road trip??? Worth considering downgrading with steel wheels that bend rather than crack?

Thanks all. I crawled under the trailer today to check out the damage to the other wheel, and the concrete edge has ripped a large gash in the sidewall of the tyre. Not ideal. So I'll take the good tyre off the broken rim and put it on the good rim. That way I can at least use the trailer short term! Lucky I know a guy with a tyre machine ;)

I'll sort out some new wheels before the PI trip, cos I ain't going anywhere too far without a spare! Thanks for the offers; I'll let you know if I need to borrow any :thumb:

Eddie Lee
16-08-2014, 07:13 PM
Thanks all. I crawled under the trailer today to check out the damage to the other wheel, and the concrete edge has ripped a large gash in the sidewall of the tyre. Not ideal. So I'll take the good tyre off the broken rim and put it on the good rim. That way I can at least use the trailer short term! Lucky I know a guy with a tyre machine ;)

I'll sort out some new wheels before the PI trip, cos I ain't going anywhere too far without a spare! Thanks for the offers; I'll let you know if I need to borrow any :thumb:

Ohhh I never carry spare wheels on the trailer... thought it's too heavy to put it on and tow it for long distance...

Nelso
16-08-2014, 10:27 PM
You could get it fixed; there's a company down here in Unanderra called Spot on Wheel Repairs and all they do is fix car wheels. They weld, machine and straighten all kinds of alloy wheels. It might be worth a call and send them a picture to see how much it's worth.

Eddie Lee
17-08-2014, 12:58 PM
You could get it fixed; there's a company down here in Unanderra called Spot on Wheel Repairs and all they do is fix car wheels. They weld, machine and straighten all kinds of alloy wheels. It might be worth a call and send them a picture to see how much it's worth.

Ahhh that's a good idea, will give them a call on Monday morning to get a quote then, thanks Rob :)