PDA

View Full Version : Tyre Warmer Temps

Turbo
29-06-2014, 08:57 AM
Bought myself a shiny new pair of Hot Hoops digital tyre warmers last week.
I set each temp to 70 degrees as per the Ntec guidelines... Left them a good while to come up to temp until the readout displayed 70.
Some guys I was pitted with had brought an infrared thermometer and wanted to 'calibrate' on mine given mine had the readout.
It turns out, mine had peaked at 34 degrees with the warmers showing 70. Theirs, all non-digital ones, were showing 65-75 degrees in the center via the thermometer.:twitch:
We all put the warmers on at the same time and leaving them at this setting, mine stayed the same temp.
I later moved my temps up to 100 front, 110 rear to get the actual tyre up to 70 which worked for the rest of the day.
It meant that my hot pressures were out for at least the first session which, coupled with colder tyres, might have ended badly...
Has anybody else tried measuring actual tyre temps? Are other people's readouts accurate? Am I using them wrong? :confused::noidea:

Marshy
29-06-2014, 08:58 AM
Nope, I'd be blaming the warmers. Whenever I've measured mine, the tyres are always within 5 degrees of the warmer temp.

Turbo
29-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Nope, I'd be blaming the warmers. Whenever I've measured mine, the tyres are always within 5 degrees of the warmer temp.

Interesting, I sent an email back to Hot Hoops HQ to let them know what I found out.
Glad I got try the infrared thermometer, other wise I'd never have known...:suspicious:
I'll post up if and when they reply.

Spilly209
29-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Well after my 2nd excursion through turn 5 ass over tit today, I'm officially going to become a tyre temp nazi!

For those that don't know my front tyre warmer unplugged a bit at the power board today. I noticed about 7-8min before the session and decided to go out anyway. Made it to T5 and lost the front about mid corner.
So in any case, a lesson I thought I'd learned the hard way on the Ducati I've really REALLY learned now. Unless my tyres are hot & sticky to the touch I'll never go out again from now on.
On the bright side the bike doesn't look too bad and if my ankle isn't broken I'm fine.
I'll be buying a temp gauge & new set of warmers with temp readout too before I go out again.
I've got insurance with Swann - as long as I get admitted to hospital (eg for an X-ray) or spend 12 hours in the emergency ward I get $2K payout to spend on whatever I want. Costs about $20 per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phat3R
29-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Good news, sounds like the ankle is OK Steve! Yeah cold tyres on a cold day ... just gotta go slow for a few laps.

That insurance sounds good.

chubb
29-06-2014, 08:14 PM
Tell
Me
More

About this Swann insurance thing

Spilly209
29-06-2014, 08:47 PM
Here are the brokers details for the insurance. He's a top bloke - fellow track day junkie but just moved to QLD:
Andrew Schofield
Business Manager
Pro Motorcycles Sunshine Coast
pmsc@monetafinance.com.au
4 Pike St, Kunda Park QLD 4556
Ph: (07) 5445 8866 | Fax: (07) 5456 1860

Mr.Ed
29-06-2014, 08:47 PM
If that thing is real I could just be about to become a millionaire

Spilly209
30-06-2014, 11:26 AM
If that thing is real I could just be about to become a millionaire

You'd be a very sore & broken one mate! But yea part of the policy is no excess abd guaranteed no increase in policy cost the next year.

But let's see if they actually pay me first. I've lodged my claim so we'll see.

Turbo
30-06-2014, 05:03 PM
Here are the brokers details for the insurance. He's a top bloke - fellow track day junkie but just moved to QLD:
Andrew Schofield
Business Manager
Pro Motorcycles Sunshine Coast
pmsc@monetafinance.com.au
4 Pike St, Kunda Park QLD 4556
Ph: (07) 5445 8866 | Fax: (07) 5456 1860

Deff keen to look into this too, would help getting the bike back on track or replace helmets etc...
Keep us posted!

Marty
30-06-2014, 08:06 PM
Is it possible your warmers display temps in fahrenheight?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Turbo
30-06-2014, 08:18 PM

Possible I guess... The display appeared to show Celsius only.
They've gone back to the supplier now. They're going to investigate the fault and get back to me.

Marshy
30-06-2014, 08:19 PM

Good thinking!!!

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n245/mYjuN_1202/genius.gif

Turbo
30-06-2014, 08:25 PM

Doesn't look like they do Fahrenheit.. Also 70F is 21C, so its still miles, or kilometres, out ;)

Turbo
08-07-2014, 01:36 PM
So, the suppliers tested the warmers and couldn't fault them. I got them back yesterday and ran them up...
I could fault them and it seems the problem is in the wee digital box (technical term). It was flicking on and off.... Loose connection?
This would certainly explain the results I was measuring.
Anyhow, I took a short video of the power issues and sent that back to the supplier. They've agreed there's an intermittent fault and are sending me a new warmer.
They've said I can keep the old one so I'll pop it open, re-terminate and keep as a spare.
I guess the moral of the story is to pay close attention to anything that may cause you to have a bad time

Marshy
09-07-2014, 08:09 AM
I guess the moral of the story is to pay close attention to anything that may cause you to have a bad time

I think Spilly would agree ;)

Spilly209
10-07-2014, 11:45 PM
Lol yup!