PDA

View Full Version : Race Render

Negrogrande
06-06-2014, 03:53 PM
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152126920910671&l=8128833364704101180

can't figure out how to embed facey video's will throw up on the tube once I sync the second camera properly

mucking around with race render after Bernie's, a lot for me to work on, but only losing a second after months off was OK with me.

second session (forgot to turn laptimer on) was way better, was doing 1:08's easy best ever was 1:07 following Carlos & really pushing

Mr.Ed
07-06-2014, 11:58 AM
I took a couple of pics of both you and Mario to illustrate a something I noticed when I was flagging between (old) T5/T7 on the day. I'll upload them when I get home, let me know if you don't want it posted here! ;)

Negrogrande
09-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Post away, I need to improve, I'm back out this weekend

Mr.Ed
09-06-2014, 10:17 PM
Ok, I downloaded now... they look sh@#%! hahaha I took them with my phone but let's just say I'm no Ray Oxford. Anyway, what I meant to show you and Mario was something that Gilles pointed out about me on the day so I was paying attention on other ppl whilst I was flagging.

The issue is, I tend to move my arse off the seat after I start braking which is a no no... the bad news is that you guys do the same. I took a pic of Gilles, one of you and one of Mario to show the difference, all on the approach to old T7. Whilst Gilles never gets back on his seat after T5 we all move back and then slide off to the side again before the corner but waaaay too late. Most of the times I noticed you guys were only doing it after most of the braking had been done... and I'm probably worse!

It's not a massive thing to correct but I reckon if we work on it when it once it becomes automatic it should settle the bike a bit better before the tip in... well, when I say 'I reckon' what I really mean is 'Gilles told me that...' ahahaha

Marshy
10-06-2014, 07:14 AM
Interesting! I will work on this too. I think some bits I do this ok, but others I don't.

zoidberg
10-06-2014, 07:18 AM
That makes a lot of sense, I'll try that next time I'm at the track too. One place I always get the bike unsettled is the old 10 to 11 change of direction, any idea on how to make that smooth? Other then get more talent? It generally feels like I'm trying to do to much all in a short space of time. I tried keeping it in third after talking to a mate, but I feel like I lose that bit of extra drive onto the straight even if I carry good speed through there if I'm not in second.

Marshy
10-06-2014, 07:29 AM
What gearing, Nath? Because I always use 3rd on all my bikes (600s and 1000s). Corner speed through 12 is absolutely critical to a good lap time, and you may well be better to use 3rd and work on increasing your corner speed through 12.

If you're in 2nd, then there's a cap on your maximum corner speed (you are rpm-limited), and while your exit drive is 'better', you're doing it from a lower minimum corner speed. Which isn't as efficient. Or as fast. In a higher gear, you're able to 'flow' the corner more, at a higher minimum speed, and without it being as frenetic (ie revving its tits off).

Another bonus is you don't have to downshift twice between 10 and 11, taking some pressure off the transition.

I sacrifice some speed in turn 10 to gain speed in 11 and 12. Some guys are much quicker than me through the very end of 10, before flipping for 11 (and they stay very much to the left), whereas I stay right and accelerate through 11, then a hard squirt of 100% throttle between 11 and 12, then am fast through 12 and have a high top speed down the straight. What I lose in 10 I more than make up in 11, 12 and the straight.

zoidberg
10-06-2014, 08:43 AM
Hey Nick,

It has 16 tooth front, 45 tooth rear. On GP circuit, I basically change down to 5th turn one, 3rd for turn 2, stay in 3rd until 6 (old 7), down to 2nd for drive outta there, click third before corporate, drive hard, down to 2nd for 9, back up to 3rd, wasn't hitting 4th before old 10, but running close to redline in 3rd. Come to think of it, other than not feeling like it was driving as hard onto the straight in third, the lack of unsettling it into 11 made it a hell of a lot smoother and more comfortable onto the straight. Smooth and comfortable seems to equal fast for me!

Other than following Mark Varg when he was running around slowly to see a few of his lines, I haven't really worked out much in the way of tip in points that I hit regularly. I guess until I get under 40's, the line I need to be on is a lot less critical! So much to learn, lucky it's so much fun! Shame it's not a little cheaper...

Marshy
10-06-2014, 01:24 PM
What bike do you have, again? Is it a ZX10R?

zoidberg
10-06-2014, 01:50 PM
No mate, it's an 04 R1.

Marshy
11-06-2014, 05:44 AM
Then the gearing sounds in-the-range. So you really should be in 3rd for 11/12. How close do you get to topping out in 6th down the straight?

zoidberg
11-06-2014, 04:21 PM
Good, I'm not even really sure why I've been changing down to 2nd then. I will leave it next time and work on smoooooth and corner speed through the two corners. To be honest, I grab 6th gear going down the straight just because I like shifting back down to 5th for turn one. I'm not bouncing off the limiter at all, could probably just run 5th all the way but have never tried? Couldn't tell you what revs though, coz I'm usually shitting myself trying to keep it wide open passed the 200, it's all abit too much for me to look at my tacho aswell. Will play with gearing in the future and see how I go.

chubb
11-06-2014, 05:32 PM
Why shift into 6th?

Leave it in 5th and simplify things a little.

Eyes up and focus where you want to go = shitting yourself less

zoidberg
11-06-2014, 06:04 PM
Well, in a roundabout way, you missed my sarcasm and therefore point. I am NOT looking at my tacho, not that worried, but more concentrating on where I am on track, trying to push wide open till after the 200, got it to somewhere around 150 ish I guess? I change to 6th I guess coz I'm worried about bouncing off the limiter in 5th? Not looking at tacho much once into 5th I guess.

I suppose I change to 6th so I can change to 5th and use a little engine braking and be back on the throttle rather than just back off in 5th? Dunno, I haven't really mucked around too much with turn one yet, just pushing it deeper and trying apex at the last bit of ripple strip.

Still turn one is one exhilarating corner! Will try leaving in 5th next time, see how it goes. Mind you, knew bike, different gearing now, but will play around with turn one on the day.

Cheers

chubb
11-06-2014, 06:16 PM
Wasn't having a go.

We tend to over complicate things when we try to push harder and go faster.

I dropped so much time when I simplified things.

zoidberg
11-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Ah sorry, read it the wrong way. And I'm not even drinking! I know what you mean though, a tip I got from a mate was to leave it in third for turn two. Not sure if it works for everyone, but it makes it loads smoother into and out of that corner, then not having to worry about the change of gear in between two and three is nice too.

Thanks mate, I know I've got a lot to learn, one thing I do know for sure is fitness needs to come up. Always better the first half of the session before I get a little more tired and scrappy.

I'll give staying in 5th a go next time into turn one. Out there on the 29th.

Anyway, sorry bout the thread hijack! Video is nice!

Stu23
12-06-2014, 11:12 AM
What is this 'moving arse off the seat' you talk about ??

Mr.Ed
12-06-2014, 11:39 AM
It's like when you're on the couch ready to watch MotoGP/WSBK but can't find your pre-race snickers so you 'move your arse off the seat' to check if you sat on it. Again.

Stu23
12-06-2014, 12:20 PM
Ahhhhhhhhhh

Marshy
12-06-2014, 05:15 PM
Thanks Ed; now I understand too!! ;)

Mr.Ed
12-06-2014, 07:55 PM
Reckon snickers will send me some sort of adsense reward for this awesome plug I gave them?

Phat3R
12-06-2014, 10:03 PM
Reckon snickers will send me some sort of adsense reward for this awesome plug I gave them?

:flypig:

:flock:

Phat3R
12-06-2014, 10:15 PM
Ok, I downloaded now... they look sh@#%! hahaha I took them with my phone but let's just say I'm no Ray Oxford. Anyway, what I meant to show you and Mario was something that Gilles pointed out about me on the day so I was paying attention on other ppl whilst I was flagging.

The issue is, I tend to move my arse off the seat after I start braking which is a no no... the bad news is that you guys do the same. I took a pic of Gilles, one of you and one of Mario to show the difference, all on the approach to old T7. Whilst Gilles never gets back on his seat after T5 we all move back and then slide off to the side again before the corner but waaaay too late. Most of the times I noticed you guys were only doing it after most of the braking had been done... and I'm probably worse!

It's not a massive thing to correct but I reckon if we work on it when it once it becomes automatic it should settle the bike a bit better before the tip in... well, when I say 'I reckon' what I really mean is 'Gilles told me that...' ahahaha

Do you mean this? So just before roll off gaz? http://youtu.be/KVWLIfChUwg?t=40m40s

Mr.Ed
12-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Yep, that's exactly what I meant and it saved me not only from trying to put it all into words real ppl understand (as opposed to the ones in my head) but it also saves me from learning to take decent pictures next time!

Phat3R
13-06-2014, 08:06 AM
Yep, that's exactly what I meant and it saved me not only from trying to put it all into words real ppl understand (as opposed to the ones in my head) but it also saves me from learning to take decent pictures next time!

I think video's way better than static pictures for coaching purposes too ... hard to do when you are flagging though ... ;)

Mr.Ed
13-06-2014, 03:46 PM
I actually took a couple of vids too... but man, I may have Parkinson's

Negrogrande
17-06-2014, 10:08 PM
haha

new vid

http://youtu.be/RQ3DCh0m3hQ

YT drops the frame rate though :( I might as well have recorded in 1080 instead of 720 60fps