PDA

View Full Version : Quickshifter for 2004 R1

zoidberg
05-06-2014, 12:51 PM
Hey brainstrust,

I unfortunately made my gearbox implode/explode on Tuesday. Not sure until I pull motor out and have a look at what I've done to assess the damage. I have been doing clutchless upshifting basically everywhere except coming out of pitlane. I had a couple of false neutrals into turn one a few trackdays ago, but after checking things out it seemed okay and I assumed it had been caused by me going for the elusive 7th gear down the straight. Never happens on GP circuit, but sometimes , I get a little lost on full circuit in regards to what gear I am actually in:drama:

Sooo, anyway, I want to get a quickshifter and am looking at the HM Quickshifter plus SS. Has anyone here used one? Or could recommend another?

Thanks in advance!

Nath

chubb
05-06-2014, 01:00 PM
Annitori.. cheaper made by the same company and Marshy sells them

Stu23
05-06-2014, 01:13 PM
See above

Phat3R
05-06-2014, 03:02 PM
:gossip:

zoidberg
05-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Thanks guys! Love your work.

Ahem, Marshy? Are these an easy fit for an 04 R1?

Cheers

Marshy
05-06-2014, 05:14 PM
We have a small supply issue at the moment as we wait for the new version to be released. Fingers crossed it will only be a few weeks more.

PM replied, zoidberg ;)

Mazabuzz
05-06-2014, 07:23 PM
You should look into getting a gear indicator also

zoidberg
06-06-2014, 06:40 AM
Yeh, I agree with this. As I said in initial post, I always know where I'm at on GP track, too many turns on full circuit, get a bit dizzy...

You should look into getting a gear indicator also

Phat3R
06-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Are the gear indicators actually useful in the real world?

I'm interested in this as I don't have a gear indicator and typically have no idea re what gear I'm in, I kind of reset on the straight as I get into top, and do the rest by sound and feel.

I don't use ear plugs so I can hear the engine (and others sneaking up behind me because I'm a slow coach), and just select a gear for the right amount of pull, which you can feel.

I have no idea how anyone has time to look at the console, except coming out of old T9 and old T12 coming onto the main straight. Should I be looking down more often at the tach and shift lights and gear indicator, if I had one? I'm not sure how to do that as the rest of the outside is taking up 99.9% of my vision and concentration???

Marshy
06-06-2014, 05:35 PM
If you have no idea what gear you're in, you definitely need one! Even for me, I really really notice it when I don't have one, even though I'm mostly sure which gear I'm in. It is most useful for when you're not quite sure if a shift went through or not, or if you've done the right number of downshifts etc.

If you need to, it's easy to program in a quick glance during braking or during acceleration once upright. It just becomes part of the routine.

And wear earplugs!! I didn't for years and years, and once I changed I'll never go back. It's muuuuuch betterer not being deafened by the wind/motor noise. Not to mention much better for your long-term hearing loss reduction (too little too late for me, mostly, but I still don't want to make it any worse....)

Mr.Ed
06-06-2014, 08:09 PM
I hardly ever look at the gear indicator either... but then when I do I REAAAALLY want to know what gear I'm in 'cause it usually means that I've made a mistake somewhere and now something doesn't feel right to say the least! lol

And +10000000 on earplugs. First time with them I felt like it was just dangerous... these days I wonder how I ever rode without them. I still do it every now and then if I forgot to pack a pair but I notice I tense up A LOT when I don't have them on.

Phat3R
06-06-2014, 09:04 PM
Thx for the feedback guys ... some really useful points ... OK you've talked me into installing one ... and wearing ear plugs again. :)

zoidberg
06-06-2014, 09:29 PM
I hardly ever look at the gear indicator either... but then when I do I REAAAALLY want to know what gear I'm in 'cause it usually means that I've made a mistake somewhere and now something doesn't feel right to say the least! lol

And +10000000 on earplugs. First time with them I felt like it was just dangerous... these days I wonder how I ever rode without them. I still do it every now and then if I forgot to pack a pair but I notice I tense up A LOT when I don't have them on.

I agree on both points, ear plugs I forgot one session and missed them pretty much straight away. the wind noise is ridiculous! As far as not knowing which gear, that seemed to happen more often whilst also trying to pass someone and definitely more so on full circuit for me for some reason.

chubb
07-06-2014, 06:44 AM
Thx for the feedback guys ... some really useful points ... OK you've talked me into installing one ... and wearing ear plugs again. :)

You don't want to be one of those oldies wearing hearing aids now would you?? :p

Marshy
07-06-2014, 07:24 AM
You don't want to be one of those oldies wearing hearing aids now would you?? :p

Huh? Who said that? DID SOMEBODY JUST SAY SOMETHING? I can't hear a thing without my darn hearing aids.

Now, where's my white cane gone.....?

zoidberg
22-06-2014, 07:00 PM
Well, phase one of the operation is done. I got a GIpro x-type gear indicator from Tristan at

http://www.aussiesportsbikegear.com.au/

whom I'm sure you all know. Friendly, helpful, easy to deal with!

Installation was fairly straightforward, even for someone such as myself, a complete noob when it comes to anything involving wiring. I followed the instructions and a couple of online step by steps I found and everything went perfect until the last step. This is where you have to run the bike through the gears with motor running and it learns them.

The crank position sensor you need to join, has two wires; a dark grey and a light grey/off white on my bike (an 04 R1). The instructions mention a dark grey and a blue/black. The instructions suggest connecting to the dark grey. Here is where it didn't work. It is supposed to pick up the RPM signal through that wire.

My gear indicator blinked merrily away "L" and never deviated its speed of blinking or anything, which it is supposed to. Soooo, I did a little more research and figured I may aswell try the light grey/off white wire instead. BINGO.

It worked, it learned the gears. Gotta say, I was mildly concerned with running the bike through the gears at around 3 thousand revs with the bike on the paddock stand, hoping it wouldn't jump off (it didn't) and now I have a lovely blue indication of what gear I am in!

Very pleased with how it looks and getting it on there!

Cheers and thanks Tristan!

Shit, can't upload pic for some reason, I'll get back to that later. Sorry!

Tristan
23-06-2014, 04:34 AM
I'm glad it wasn't hard to fit :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk