PDA

View Full Version : Anyone go from regular to gp shift?

KANGA
10-05-2014, 08:53 AM
I've got a a KTM 640 SM as a road bike, as far I'm aware I can't switch it to GP shift. At least there is no easy external linkage majigga I can just flip around.
Does anyone here ride a bike with a regular shift pattern set up then go to GP shift on track?

CLIFFY
10-05-2014, 09:06 AM
You know I do
2 race bikes have race pattern
3 road bikes and 2 dirt bikes have road pattern
Just don't rev it all the way out for a couple of laps in case you shift incorrectly and you'll be fine
I'll never go back to road pattern on a race track

Marshy
10-05-2014, 09:11 AM
Some people do both, but it's pretty rare. It's much better to switch the roady too.
When I rode a road bike (in road shift) for the first time in years a few months ago, it threw off my gear changes on the racebike for half-a-day next time I went to the track.
It's just one more thing to have to mentally process.

Have a look at rearset options, and talk to Tristan, as there are increasingly more rearsets available that flip the linkage at the footpeg end rather than the more traditional gearbox spline end. My new Woodcraft ones for the Ape do this, as do the Bonamicci ones for the 1199. This is partly to keep the OEM quickshifter, which only work in one direction, and partly because there's no space to flip at the spline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow bro
10-05-2014, 10:57 AM
I've only recently got an r6 with race shift & my cbr is normal & change between them at the track OK. Just be careful coming out of corners accelerating hard & going the wrong way.

Nelso
10-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Leanne and I both have all of our race bikes in race shift and our road bikes and dirt bikes in road shift.

Little Mick
10-05-2014, 02:59 PM
Leanne and I both have all of our race bikes in race shift and our road bikes and dirt bikes in road shift.

Ditto

Marty
10-05-2014, 05:47 PM
I swap between it all the time, I run GP on any bike I can change it to. Doesn't bother me at all. When you first change to GP it's hard at first but it's even harder to change between them but you get used to it, when I get on a bike now I think which direction is 1st gear, then after that it's all automatic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The_Brick
10-05-2014, 08:23 PM
I run gp shift on my road bike as well as track bike, I also work as an instructor were all the bikes are in normal shift. I don't have a problem changing between the two, just takes alittle time to adjust or remember what bike I'm riding. I do tend to take off in second sometime when I'm demonstrating :redface:

Phat3R
10-05-2014, 09:41 PM
I've stayed with road shift on all. I only gave it a couple of sessions, and didn't like it, too much time having to think about something that previously required no thought. With a QS, I honestly didn't find a need, just a light press or lift and it changes.

On a race bike without a QS, I'd probably persevere though. I always had a problem on the Gixxer pre QS between T2 & T3.

But I'm co-ordination challenged, each to their own eh.

KANGA
11-05-2014, 03:52 PM
Righto looks like I'm going to give it a go then!

Mr.Ed
11-05-2014, 04:06 PM
I like it. Not gonna say it's a game changer but it's helpful in some parts of the track. It depends a bit on your gearing but I found it helpful out of T2 (both EC and WP) and out of that last hairpin of the new section (EC).

Little Mick
11-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Im with Ed on this one. there are some spots where its easier to change by pushing down... I would add out of t8 at wacky to Ed's list....obviously pending shift points/ gearing etc

CLIFFY
11-05-2014, 06:55 PM
T7 at PI is the reason I made the switch

Kaneg
12-05-2014, 12:35 PM
Ditto

me too ,

Spilly209
12-05-2014, 03:18 PM
I resisted for ages but love GP shift now. But yea make all your bikes the one pattern as Marshy said or you will get mixed up at the worst possible moment.

dan
13-05-2014, 08:58 AM
I changed my road bike to GP but now it's a spare race bike. I like it better.

Spilly209
13-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Also I ride my 1199 on the road with GP shift and prefer it:

chubb
13-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Much much easier with GP