PDA

View Full Version : Turning front rims around

madog
06-05-2014, 08:32 PM
MY mate did this on his 2011 blade instead of taking the tyre off ,is it safe to do thanks guys

Marshy
06-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Front rims frequently aren't symmetrical left and right. They can be offset, sometimes a tiny bit, sometimes a lot, depending on the bike. Sometimes it's the rim itself that's different, or the offset of the rotors can be different, or the spacer/axle-mount shape, so that they are not the same when reversed. You might only get brake drag, but it might be a whole lot worse. Don't do it without knowing all the offsets are compensated for.

Mr.Ed
06-05-2014, 09:01 PM
Seeing as they have little arrows on my wheels, Im gonna go out on a limb and say "No idea but I wouldn't do it"

madog
06-05-2014, 09:49 PM
The reason i ask is he had a big off between turn 1 and 2 on the straight at pi he did nothing different down 2 gears and it locked up and through him off on the straight .He had no idea what happend.

The_Brick
06-05-2014, 10:10 PM
tyres are directional so turning them around is bad, rims well front will not make a difference in theory, but remember there is wear on both sides and when we talk brakes one side will waer more than the other

Marshy
06-05-2014, 10:33 PM
The reason i ask is he had a big off between turn 1 and 2 on the straight at pi he did nothing different down 2 gears and it locked up and through him off on the straight .He had no idea what happend.

That'd be why. The brakes would've been out of alignment with the calipers and been dragging all the way down the straight, which would've overheated them. Then when asking for a big stop, it would've locked up with the massive pressure on one side of each disc.

Blades are well known for having alignment issued with their front brakes anyway, and that's without running them the wrong way. It's pretty common to warp discs on race Blades if you don't bounce the front end when fitting the wheel to centre the rim properly. Even then they drag. It's also common to swap out the OEM honda calipers for a set of R6 ones, as they are monoblock and a direct swap fit. My superbike Blade had R6 calipers with honda discs. No drag issues or warped discs. The Honda superbike team were rumoured to throw new discs on their bikes every race meet, for this reason (running oem calipers).

And from memory, the offset for the rotor mounts is different left to right, by a fair bit iirc.

shippy__
06-05-2014, 10:47 PM
And the r6's do it again.... Im more proud of this r6 than my old 1198s

James_
07-05-2014, 08:58 AM
bounce the front end when fitting the wheel to centre the rim properly.

My secret Honda front wheel installation tip is out! Secret until someone reads the workshop manual.
Its true though, definately helps centre it.