PDA

View Full Version : 2010 R6 Problems

mercho
22-04-2014, 09:35 AM
Hey Guys,

Had a bit of a sh!tty weekend at Wakefield on the weekend with the bike playing up a fair bit. Seems to be an electrical problem.

The bike seems to all of a sudden run as if a pit limiter as been switch one, a very rough one at that, and seems to be intermitant.

Qualifying I had to pull of track as it started to happen, switched the bike off and on again and it come good.

Race 1 - No issues

Race 2, Issue rared up Lap 2 Turn 3, had to pull of the track.

After this race we disconnected the gear indicator and laptimer and went over the bike checking terminals/connections

Race 3 - No issues

Race 4 - 30m before the chequred flag the issue happened again, my whole cool down lap was a slow and jerky return to the pits.

Video below is of the end of the last lap and return to pits.

Bike as an annitori quick shifter (which im suspecting may be the issue as it seems to be not working intermittently) and power commander.

Will drop it off to the mechanics this week but any suggestions welcome!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6pxIOd3SAU

dan
22-04-2014, 09:43 AM
:(

chubb
22-04-2014, 10:02 AM
change your battery.. use to do it on my R6 till I changed the battery.. your battery is probably done.

If not then after you put a new battery in try to work your way down the line disconnecting quickshifter gear indicator etc

Marshy
22-04-2014, 10:07 AM
Hey Brad, I've never seen an Annitori do that, but they can have issues on an R6 after the plugs get really worn (the coil-to-plug contact reduces and can cause intermittent misses). If you haven't changed your spark plugs in a while, do so!

Otherwise, I strongly recommend wiring the qs into the ignition circuit directly. It's very easy, and actually also improves the overall quickshift. How-to is here: http://www.tarmactalk.com/forum/showthread.php?332-New-How-To-Annitori-quickshifter-without-loom

You can try using the blanking plug (if you have it) to bypass the qs for diagnostic purposes. I have spares if you need one.

The qs shouldn't only work intermittently either! It might be a sensor or wiring issue (crash damage?? or cable-ties cutting through wires??), or it could all be tied in with the spark plug wear. Or maybe it's totally unrelated to the qs and you have some other problem! I'd be taking it out of the system to eliminate another variable.

Let me know if I can help further. We (Superbike Source) supplied that Annitori, so we will cover any issues under warranty.

Marshy
22-04-2014, 10:08 AM
change your battery.. use to do it on my R6 till I changed the battery.. your battery is probably done.

If not then after you put a new battery in try to work your way down the line disconnecting quickshifter gear indicator etc

Occam's razor!! Good one, Chubb :thumb:

mercho
22-04-2014, 10:10 AM
Battery is a new SSB Lithium Battery installed at the start of the year.. Any tests i should be running on it?

mercho
22-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Thanks Nick, Quick shifter works 99% of the time, just seems to have issues just before the electrical issues, but they may be hand in hand.. Plugs were done a couple of months ago with the Valve clearances, but maybe worth checking again!

Marshy
22-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Battery is a new SSB Lithium Battery installed at the start of the year.. Any tests i should be running on it?

If it cranks the bike hard on starting, then it should be fine.

Thanks Nick, Quick shifter works 99% of the time, just seems to have issues just before the electrical issues, but they may be hand in hand.. Plugs were done a couple of months ago with the Valve clearances, but maybe worth checking again!

Hard-wire it in, mate. It's a 20 minute job and you'll love the difference.

mercho
22-04-2014, 10:20 AM
Yeah cranks fine! I have ZERO electrical know how Nick, so ill take that suggestion to the local mechanic haha!! Cheers!

chubb
22-04-2014, 10:36 AM

Even though it's the start of the year it can go poof.

A new battery I put it lasted 3 months.

You can load test the battery to see if it's still good

senator8
22-04-2014, 11:19 AM
Lithium batteries can occasionally cause problems with the electronics due to the very low internal impedance. I had to swap brands on the BMW and the battery is working fine in another bike. I also know many guys running the same battery in their BMWs without problem. I had similar symptoms, wouldn't rev etc. swapped batteries back and forth several times to make sure it was the cause. Changed brands and fine. Probably could've changed batteries of the same brand and fixed as well. Battery is a easy problem to check out at least.

Little Mick
22-04-2014, 06:57 PM
Brad
left field suggestion from my recent experience trying to sort out a similar issue on the Zx6r.... after much back to back component testing between the road and race bikes, I found that the fuel filter was limiting fuel and causing intermittent problems. would only present itself after a few laps and would clear itself if I stopped and started again. I went through elimination of quick shifter, Bazzazz tuner, fuel tanks/ pumps etc.

I was able to clean out the fuel filter element that is in the tank and was right as rain.

I spoke to Mazzabazz at the next track day and he had similar symptoms to me, and finally resolved his with the fuel pump/ filter change.

Worth a shot and is an easy check if you can borrow a pump/ filter assembly.

Note, mine presented itself just after I crashed in Qualy in the 4 hr... (not withstanding a loose wire issue that occurred at the same time, but even after this was rectified the problem had remained...)

Cheers

Mick

johnnyb
22-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Had a very similar issue with my R6. Turned out my hm quick shifter was too sensitive and the vibration of the bike made the bike cut out intermittently. All I did was adjust the sensitivity....easy fix but took me a while to find it.

Worth a try.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mercho
23-04-2014, 06:47 AM
Cheers thanks for all the suggestions guys! Will see how we go with it! :confused: :D