PDA

View Full Version : Mending my beloved BMW S1000RR...

BADGERBOY
14-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Hey all,

My first post here so apols if this is not in the correct section... Due to a recent 'off' at Eastern Creek Raceway (or Sydney Motorsport Park if you prefer) I now have some quite broken and\or scratched fairings (side panels, front, tail) on my 2010 BMW S1000RR. I'm therefore just after any advice anyone can provide please on where to get good aftermarket fairings - eBay is most people's starting recommendation, however is there anywhere that anyone has used previously and can therefore recommend (either inside or outside Australia, I'm based near Crows Nest in Sydney btw) for the acquisition of such body parts for the bike? I'm looking at road fairings as opposed to race kit as I need to use the bike on the road when not on the track...

Thanks in advance for any help

Baddie
14-03-2014, 06:02 PM
Rick...where are you..:hug:

stevem
14-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Check out FX classifieds

Marshy
14-03-2014, 07:25 PM
Hey mate, welcome to TT! Sorry to hear about your off :(

I can source the best of the Chinese ABS painted fairings at a good price, if you decide to go down that route. We have spent ages finding a high quality supplier, and now have a great source. They won't be as good as OEM though (although the paintwork is excellent, aftermarket ABS just isn't as good as the OEM stuff - but it's a tenth the price!), so also calling Senator8 to see what he has in the garage.....

BADGERBOY
15-03-2014, 05:25 PM
Hey mate, welcome to TT! Sorry to hear about your off :(

I can source the best of the Chinese ABS painted fairings at a good price, if you decide to go down that route. We have spent ages finding a high quality supplier, and now have a great source. They won't be as good as OEM though (although the paintwork is excellent, aftermarket ABS just isn't as good as the OEM stuff - but it's a tenth the price!), so also calling Senator8 to see what he has in the garage.....

Thanks Marshy, as you say the aftermarket ABS parts are a fraction of the BMW factory stuff, so that seems a good option to consider. Just out of interest, the superbikesource website shows the S1000RR fairings in Race trim (without the headlight cutouts for road use) - any idea if they're also available in road form?

Cheers

stevem
16-03-2014, 03:45 AM
Gumtree has some tri colour good on left damaged on right at Shell Harbour.

senator8
18-03-2014, 07:43 AM
Unfortunately I don't have any full sets left. The last one sold just before Xmas. Second hand they still go for good money as the new OEM prices are ridiculous. The last set I had, went for $1200 without the lowers. What colour? I've got a few odds and pieces. Do you need blinkers, screen, rearsets etc or the grey lowers.

I would look at the aftermarket stuff like Marshy has and keep your eye out for the bits you need that may come up from time to time to put it back to original. Depending on what you need it may even be cheaper to replace a few panels with carbon parts. I can help you with those although there are a multitude of suppliers on ebay etc.

BADGERBOY
18-03-2014, 12:05 PM
Unfortunately I don't have any full sets left. The last one sold just before Xmas. Second hand they still go for good money as the new OEM prices are ridiculous. The last set I had, went for $1200 without the lowers. What colour? I've got a few odds and pieces. Do you need blinkers, screen, rearsets etc or the grey lowers.

I would look at the aftermarket stuff like Marshy has and keep your eye out for the bits you need that may come up from time to time to put it back to original. Depending on what you need it may even be cheaper to replace a few panels with carbon parts. I can help you with those although there are a multitude of suppliers on ebay etc.

Thanks mate, I appreciate the reply. I am in need of a new screen and indicators - is this something you can source? Good point on the carbon parts - they look good and are still often cheaper than the OEM stuff. At the moment I think I'm looking to replace the parts of bodywork that are really knackered ('Mineral Silver' for a 2010 S1000RR), then get some track fairings as Marshy has highlighted. Just compiling a list of what to get at the moment but the replies you've both given me have been just what I was after, so thanks for that.

The whole experience has also made me realise that a set of track fairings are a very good idea...!

Marshy
18-03-2014, 12:23 PM
The whole experience has also made me realise that a set of track fairings are a very good idea...!

It's really a no-brainer, but one that many people don't realise until it's too late..... ;)

The cheap price of a set of raceglass (even 2nd hand or unpainted etc) is good insurance against damaging ultra-exxy OEM fairings.