PDA

View Full Version : Question of fitting race glass

Gc33
05-03-2014, 09:51 AM
This is probably a pretty simple question. But I have removed a lot of the electrics (including the headlight) from my 2000 R1 and wanted to fit race glass to it. I procured some but the attachment points on the front nose cone are still in the place where they would attach to the headlight, is there a bracket available for this? Or have I been stooged on the race glass that I have?
I have had a bit of a trawl on the web trying to find a suitable bracket with zero luck.

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

mercho
05-03-2014, 10:15 AM
You should have a bracket left in place that the headlight bolted onto that the race fairings should attach to.

Its an upper fairing stay and should bolt on to the fairing roughly where the mirrors attach (usually):

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fairing-Stay-Bracket-Cowling-Headlight-For-Yamaha-R1-2000-2001-Upper-/270969712576?pt=AU_Motorcycle_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f170dafc0

Like this:

Gc33
05-03-2014, 10:45 AM
I have that bracket. What it appears that has happened is that the mould is exactly the same as what comes on the bike as stock and they have just filled the areas where the headlights and mirrors attached. Thus meaning that the mount points on the nose cone are exactly the same as those on the road going nose cone where they attach to the headlight.

Sounds as though I have been stooged!

mercho
05-03-2014, 10:51 AM
Where did you buy the fairings from?

They should mount like below (where the mirror goes, which should still be on them if they are similar to the road fairings)

Gc33
05-03-2014, 11:42 AM
I got them from a bloke in Sydney, private sale.
Definitely all of the mount points are exactly the same as my existing road going nose cone, so without making up a bracket to replace where the light was it appears they may be pretty useless!

Gc33
05-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Maybe I have it all wrong, I am assuming that the only mounts points aren't just where the mirrors were and where it joins the side fairings? I am assuming that it should still attach to that headlight bracket somewhere?

Marshy
05-03-2014, 01:16 PM
Might need pics?? I can't visualise what you mean.

mercho
05-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Maybe I have it all wrong, I am assuming that the only mounts points aren't just where the mirrors were and where it joins the side fairings? I am assuming that it should still attach to that headlight bracket somewhere?

Nope Just the mirror points and side fairings on most bikes. As marshy said pics might help..