PDA

View Full Version : Oil Capcity Question

No_Style
09-02-2014, 08:52 PM
Can someone shed some light on this, which is taken from the shop manual for an 08 R6:

Engine oil quantity
Total amount
3.40 L (3.59 US qt) (2.99 Imp.qt)
Without oil filter cartridge replacement
2.40 L (2.54 US qt) (2.11 Imp.qt)
With oil filter cartridge replacement
2.60 L (2.75 US qt) (2.29 Imp.qt)

No worries, use 2.6L when changing the oil filter as well, but what the hell is total oil capacity a measure of?
Does it imply that .8L's of oil is left in the bike even when you dump the oil and change the oil filter? (If so, where is it, is it just tied up in oil lines and pumps etc, or is there some sort of second reservoir similar to a dry sump engine?)
Or is it measure of something totally different?

No_Style
09-02-2014, 09:58 PM
After a brief tour through the shop manual, I'm going to assume it stays lurking in random engine areas like oil coolers, oil pipes, cam chain tensioners etc etc

Marshy
09-02-2014, 10:26 PM
Does it imply that .8L's of oil is left in the bike even when you dump the oil and change the oil filter? (If so, where is it, is it just tied up in oil lines and pumps etc, or is there some sort of second reservoir similar to a dry sump engine?)

Yep, there's HEAPS (a good half litre I reckon, if you warm the bike and drain thoroughly) left in the engine during an oil change. 90% of it is in the sump, in the pickup mostly. I was so surprised with how much oil came out when I removed my sump!

If I had just bought a bike with really rubbish oil, I'd be tempted to drop the sump to get that last almost-litre out.... It's only a handful of bolts.

My bike usually takes about 3.1 to 3.2L for a oil-and-filter change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No_Style
09-02-2014, 10:30 PM
Golden, thanks Marshy.

I was similarly surprised when i took clutch and ignition covers off the Husqvarna enduro; lots of oil came out even after i left it to drain overnight (and the TE only holds ~2L in the first place).