PDA

View Full Version : St George SMP 1st & 2nd Post up your videos!!

chubb
03-02-2014, 10:44 AM
Post em up!!

I'll start.. This is race 2 on the Saturday in clubby..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP0O-YI3wkk

chubb
03-02-2014, 10:45 AM
I think my setting on the go pro either needs to be improved or windows movie maker is cropping them when I don't want them to

ninja edit.. I tried saving it in widescreen now... looks better.. uploading to see if it works

ninja ninja edit.. .fixed it with widescreen

Stu23
03-02-2014, 10:59 AM
nice and fast and smooth :)

chubb
03-02-2014, 07:47 PM
Race 1 (stupid rear camera didnt work properly... user error me thinks!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a1gzfmCyuU

chubb
03-02-2014, 08:07 PM
This is Race 3..

got hit by Shane Ryan and lost spots..

I still got lots of time to make up in a few different spots.. need to keep improving!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NklldxS9j4

Mr.Ed
03-02-2014, 09:13 PM
At a guess I'm gonna say you recorded those on 960p hey?

Mr.Ed
03-02-2014, 09:21 PM
Great racing tho! ;)

Negrogrande
03-02-2014, 10:00 PM
https://www.facebook.com/andrew.lawson.aus/media_set?set=a.10151903163450671.1073741836.69207 5670&type=3

some piccies, I still have a bunch to edit, will take me a while to get through them all, I got most of the guys on here

Medic!
03-02-2014, 11:19 PM
Well done chubb. Thanks for posting. I've been sick as a dog and couldn't even get out to watch. I had intended to flag at least one day. Lack of $$$ prevented me from entering. Turned out for the best. Would have killed me just getting the bike off the trailer.
Now just need you to go out in unlimited so I can see what to expect there. lol

mercho
04-02-2014, 07:23 AM
https://www.facebook.com/andrew.lawson.aus/media_set?set=a.10151903163450671.1073741836.69207 5670&type=3

some piccies, I still have a bunch to edit, will take me a while to get through them all, I got most of the guys on here

Love the one you got of me talking to the ambos! Took a good 2 minutes to convince them i was ok hahah

Negrogrande
04-02-2014, 07:36 AM
Love the one you got of me talking to the ambos! Took a good 2 minutes to convince them i was ok hahah
You should see when you have a mouthgaurd in and your helmet still on. They thought I was touched

took me 2 minutes in my last crash to convince them to let me take my helmet off so I could spit my mouthguard out

motorbiker
04-02-2014, 02:21 PM
Ok, I know this is a video thread, but I was looking through some pics of the weekend and thought one looked really familiar. So I looked through some photos for the November round last year and found there's an uncanny similarity!

Marshy
04-02-2014, 04:33 PM
Wow!! It's like deja vu all over again! :roll:

That's very cool. The biggest difference is now that Gaz (#37) has Superbike Source fairings, so the orange is actually bright Repsol orange, not the washed out one that he had before.....

James_
04-02-2014, 09:30 PM
Here is what the back of the pack is like!!:noidea:

Restart of first clubby race on sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrYDuxKBkV0

JC
04-02-2014, 09:33 PM
Here's the video from 1st race on Sunday and my fuck up start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KO-oWZ9WPdg&feature=youtu.be

Mr.Ed
04-02-2014, 11:20 PM

hmmk... I shouldn't even be posting this 'cause if I ever go back to racing you'll be starting in front of me so I'm basically (and hypothetically) shooting my own foot here but...

WHAT'S WITH SHORT SHIFTING A 600 OFF THE START?? I actually did a double take on your tacho to make sure it wasn't a blade...

Seriously, you could have at least stayed with the pack if you had gone for it, after 1st gear chances of your bike lifting a wheel more than say 5" off the ground (let alone flipping) are very low... then again, I did the same thing on my first ever race start so if that's the case I understand how overwhelming the first time can be! The way I see it, the start is a drag race. And you don't short shift on a drag race!!!!

Also, please don't follow Stu23's school of using the clutch to upshit! Even he saw the light eventually even if it took buying a quickshifter... :banplease:

Ps: CAPs + Red font = do not do it again!!!

Saturnalian
05-02-2014, 12:05 AM
Here it is....

The controversial first lap of Race #1. 600cc Modern that setup the Handicap victory on the weekend.
Don't forget to add the 6 ½ sec's it took me to cross the start line after completely fudging the start. It was potentially my best lap of the weekend as far as the red mist is concerned.
I rode in anger and was doing well, until my quick shifter separated from the shift rod coming into T2......

http://youtu.be/G26n2K88pzA

BoB
05-02-2014, 01:29 AM
Here it is....

The controversial first lap of Race #1. 600cc Modern that setup the Handicap victory on the weekend.
Don't forget to add the 6 ½ sec's it took me to cross the start line after completely fudging the start. It was potentially my best lap of the weekend as far as the red mist is concerned.
I rode in anger and was doing well, until my quick shifter separated from the shift rod coming into T2......

Nice shot of me getting my front cut off on t2 and me locking up the front wheel , right foot leg goes in the air then saves it to rejoin. (Around the 0:37 mark)

James_
05-02-2014, 07:18 AM
hmmk... I shouldn't even be posting this 'cause if I ever go back to racing you'll be starting in front of me so I'm basically (and hypothetically) shooting my own foot here but...

WHAT'S WITH SHORT SHIFTING A 600 OFF THE START?? I actually did a double take on your tacho to make sure it wasn't a blade...

Seriously, you could have at least stayed with the pack if you had gone for it, after 1st gear chances of your bike lifting a wheel more than say 5" off the ground (let alone flipping) are very low... then again, I did the same thing on my first ever race start so if that's the case I understand how overwhelming the first time can be! The way I see it, the start is a drag race. And you don't short shift on a drag race!!!!

Also, please don't follow Stu23's school of using the clutch to upshit! Even he saw the light eventually even if it took buying a quickshifter... :banplease:

Ps: CAPs + Red font = do not do it again!!!

jeez, settle pettle!

I never said I was any good!

Short shift was a mistak,....and its not like im goin to shift back down, already lost position, no need to lose more!
I am very much a rookie with much to learn, still learning the bike really.... Only had the 600 since August, [insert more excuses here]....
The first 500 metres of a race is something i need to focus on as i lost a heap of positions in almost every start.... off the mark is ok but from there to turn 2 is my failing, but thanks for the advice!

ps. Quick shifter is at the top of the list!

Stu23
05-02-2014, 07:55 AM
Hahaha this is making me smile.... yes QS=good

Mr.Ed
05-02-2014, 08:56 AM
jeez, settle pettle!

I never said I was any good!

Short shift was a mistak,....and its not like im goin to shift back down, already lost position, no need to lose more!
I am very much a rookie with much to learn, still learning the bike really.... Only had the 600 since August, [insert more excuses here]....
The first 500 metres of a race is something i need to focus on as i lost a heap of positions in almost every start.... off the mark is ok but from there to turn 2 is my failing, but thanks for the advice!

ps. Quick shifter is at the top of the list!

Now that is something I can really help you with!! You should hear some of the excuses I came up with over the years... true classics! To this day, kids still talk about it during their lunch breaks at school.

Also, sorry if the previous post came out a bit rude (well, prob 'cause it was)... I suck at starts and first laps myself but I've learned one thing though: Aggression. Without it, your first lap will ALWAYS suck and I struggle with too. With the race only being 5 laps long, you're lucky to get back 30% of what you lose in the first lap. I haven't raced much (and for a loooooooong time) but I remember aiming for a 1st lap under 1:52 (never got one!) which would be my race pace + 6secs for the stationary start. And you case you're wondering, I pulled that formula out of my ass but it seems to work somewhat.

dan
05-02-2014, 07:16 PM
Here it is....

Fuck R6s are quick. You absolutely annihilated James down the straight after giving him 200m head start.

dan
05-02-2014, 07:22 PM
Ps. that overlay software is fantastic!

JC
05-02-2014, 07:36 PM
Here is the second race Sunday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgAlpKv-gb0&feature=c4-overview&list=UUAj2AZNPzX2v-1NuP_2GPSg

Saturnalian
05-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Fuck R6s are quick. You absolutely annihilated James down the straight after giving him 200m head start.

And then James rode really well all Sunday and kept sticking it to me....

BoB
05-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Short vid just before the battery runs out has Oggy almost collecting me on T11.

Sat race 8 600cc

http://youtu.be/h7PLyQt-nB0

Saturnalian
05-02-2014, 09:10 PM
Ps. that overlay software is fantastic!

Thats the iPhone App i use for my timing. All of the overlay processing is done within the phone.
If you record the video from the phone it automatically syncs it and processes it for you but i imported the footage from my camera's and then told it where the finish line was in each clip.

You can actually use the App to sync with Wifi GoPro's and trigger them to start recording when you cross a GPS point that you've chosen.
Crazy shit.

j.

BoB
05-02-2014, 09:42 PM
Race 2 600cc rear camera north circuit saturday , which took forever to get going .(starts around 1:38)

Nice wheelie from oggy no.22

http://youtu.be/QzQmqZ6fHpo

James_
06-02-2014, 07:18 AM
Another awful start and many mistakes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wj7vb7wQvnk

Medic!
06-02-2014, 08:36 AM
But are you having fun James? You'll fix mistakes over time with the right approach. At least you're out there having a go and not procrastinating like me and others. Well not all procrastinating some of it is purely financial. Thanks for posting.
Come on you other slackers with all the cams out there where are the vids. Marshy???
Got to get my fix somehow.

Baddie
06-02-2014, 08:58 AM
Short vid just before the battery runs out has Oggy almost collecting me on T11.

Sat race 8 600cc

http://youtu.be/h7PLyQt-nB0

Maybe he thought the new part added was part of the course...lol

James_
06-02-2014, 09:05 AM
But are you having fun James?

Having an absolute ball!!!

BoB
06-02-2014, 09:11 AM
Ok Medic here is another one for you. It was one of my best times of the day on the last lap with a 1:45

There was a yellow flag on T5/6 (4:50)but green on T8 , the guy i passed wasnt too happy with me as he said i passed him on a yellow but it looked green to me (5:02) .

I didnt back off once i passed him even though the next guy was a long way off and not many laps left .. Managed to catch and pass him just before the finish line , makes up for him cutting me up on t1 off the start line.. he he .

http://youtu.be/mX2XLxuJ5iI

Marshy
06-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Come on you other slackers with all the cams out there where are the vids. Marshy???
Got to get my fix somehow.

I had issues with the bloody Liquid image dumb things on Sat, and missed some of the best races, including the thrilling (only) race that I won by a fraction of a second. I was so disappointed I haven't bothered with the others :frusty: I will get to them...

chubb
06-02-2014, 10:01 AM
well I talked with Senator about getting one of those replay ones..

I borrowed the gopro on Sat and was thinking of getting another but they're bloody exxy for what they are!!!

Saturnalian
06-02-2014, 10:22 AM

I've got a brand new one of those Replay things for sale at the moment Chubb. its in my last for sale post.
They're what i use.

J.

Marshy
06-02-2014, 10:30 AM

I borrowed the gopro on Sat and was thinking of getting another but they're bloody exxy for what they are!!!

You get what you pay for.

The LI are great in many ways - picture quality is fantastic, and the sticky mounts are better than GoPro. They are small and light. But the 'covers' were designed by imbeciles - they don't actually attach to the camera!!!! Fuck me; who would've thought that you'd want a protective cover that actually PROTECTS the camera. Engineers need not apply...

And the buttons are waaaay too small and hard to press. You've got to hold in the 'on' button for some length of time to turn it on, then you have to WAIT(!!!!!) some further length of time (undetermined) before you can press the 'record' button. HOW FUCKING DUMB IS THIS SHIT?!?!?!?!?!?!? It's seriously the dumbest fucking thing I have ever encountered in an electronic consumer product outside of an Apple device.

Imagine someone wanting to use a VIDEO CAMERA to, oh I dunno, RECORD VIDEO?!?!?!? And not be able to do it with one press of a button. Or, failing that, even two presses in succession. But to have to WAIT between presses is just FUCKING NUTS. It doesn't even indicate when the waiting period is up - you have to guess. And the penalty for getting it wrong is missing out on recording your only race win of the weekend!!

Plus you can't read the screen to save your life. So it doesn't start recording, or runs out of battery, or the card is full at the critical moment and you can't FUCKING tell.

Whew. Sorry about that. I feel better now.

chubb
06-02-2014, 11:00 AM
Well definitely no to liquid image then

Stu23
06-02-2014, 11:12 AM
my rear facing liquid image stopped recording half way through most races....... have put on 2 firmware updates to correct it..... will see how it goes later

dan
06-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Well definitely no to liquid image then

I haven't had any trouble with mine but you don't want to be in a rush to get the recording started. I think it's good value at $150-odd.

chubb
06-02-2014, 11:42 AM
I haven't had any trouble with mine but you don't want to be in a rush to get the recording started. I think it's good value at $150-odd.

Well I am going to try those replay ones that Jamie and Rick were talking to me about.

Just mount it on the rear and if it's good then I'll get the mini one for the front and mount it in a way such that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb which the go pro currently does.

Then Kelly can use the go pro on her bike and when she goes snowboarding and all that.

Marshy
06-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Ibut you don't want to be in a rush to get the recording started.

What, like when the 2 minute siren has just gone off, and you need to start your bike, put your helmet on, put your gloves on, turn off tyre warmers, remove tyre warmers, remove bike stands, turn on front camera, turn on rear camera....... So yeah, no rush. And having to wait like 20 seconds between holding down the 'on' button and then going back and holding down the 'record' button doesn't really matter at all.....

Marshy
06-02-2014, 11:57 AM
Well I am going to try those replay ones that Jamie and Rick were talking to me about.

Just check the button press sequence first!!

BoB
06-02-2014, 11:57 AM

The LI are great in many ways - picture quality is fantastic, and the sticky mounts are better than GoPro. They are small and light. But the 'covers' were designed by imbeciles - they don't actually attach to the camera!!!! Fuck me; who would've thought that you'd want a protective cover that actually PROTECTS the camera. Engineers need not apply...

And the buttons are waaaay too small and hard to press. You've got to hold in the 'on' button for some length of time to turn it on, then you have to WAIT(!!!!!) some further length of time (undetermined) before you can press the 'record' button. HOW FUCKING DUMB IS THIS SHIT?!?!?!?!?!?!? It's seriously the dumbest fucking thing I have ever encountered in an electronic consumer product outside of an Apple device.

Imagine someone wanting to use a VIDEO CAMERA to, oh I dunno, RECORD VIDEO?!?!?!? And not be able to do it with one press of a button. Or, failing that, even two presses in succession. But to have to WAIT between presses is just FUCKING NUTS. It doesn't even indicate when the waiting period is up - you have to guess. And the penalty for getting it wrong is missing out on recording your only race win of the weekend!!

Plus you can't read the screen to save your life. So it doesn't start recording, or runs out of battery, or the card is full at the critical moment and you can't FUCKING tell.

I have the exact same issues Nick . to the point i now have a routine , its not the best way to have to record but its working for me at the moment ..

2 minute horn goes .. turn on front and rear camera , then turn warmers off and take front warmer off and front wheel stand , on the way to the rear end of bike turn on record (2nd button) on both cameras . then take rear stand and warmer off . If the display is flashing (or you can check the light on the front of the camera ) then you know its recording. The led on the front of the camera can be turned off in the settings if yours isnt working.

Yes its the only thing i dont like about the LI .

The cover i hold in place by a small cable tie . This cover also doubles up as another means of holding to the bike (lanyard ) . You dont even need to have the cover on as its the camera that mounts , unlike the gopro which the cover is the mount not the camera . Which covers are you using nick Nick ?

I saw shippys gopro at the weekend (damaged input socket) and for the money i would go L.I anyday over gopro.

cover with cable tie pic

dan
06-02-2014, 12:00 PM
What, like when the 2 minute siren has just gone off, and you need to start your bike, put your helmet on, put your gloves on, turn off tyre warmers, remove tyre warmers, remove bike stands, turn on front camera, turn on rear camera....... So yeah, no rush. And having to wait like 20 seconds between holding down the 'on' button and then going back and holding down the 'record' button doesn't really matter at all.....

If the camera is already on you just need to press the record button for a couple of seconds which is doable. You forgot to start lap timer as well!

Then again I haven't tried to get 100 cameras going either haha

chubb
06-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Just check the button press sequence first!!

Seemed pretty straightforward.

Press the power then press record like the go pro.

Apparently there is a one touch record as well !

Marshy
06-02-2014, 01:01 PM

The first thing I do on the GoPro is set it to 1-touch record. It's really 1-touch.... just a quick push does it; no need to hold it down.

Marshy
06-02-2014, 01:03 PM
cover with cable tie pic

I have these covers too. But I have tapes them on to the camera with duct tape. And I have lockwired the cover to the bike, so to remove the camera I just untape it from the cover and leave the cover hanging from the lockwire on the bike....

BoB
06-02-2014, 02:18 PM
I have these covers too. But I have tapes them on to the camera with duct tape. And I have lockwired the cover to the bike, so to remove the camera I just untape it from the cover and leave the cover hanging from the lockwire on the bike....

with the cable tie you just slide it down towards the mount then the cover can pull forward and still be lockwired / cable tied to the bike . Nick the small cable tie would be far easier than the tape , but i know you have a thing for duct tape

Phat3R
06-02-2014, 03:33 PM
I'd suggest taping over the SD card slots. Of the three camera on the bike, two self ejected the SD cards when I binned the old gal. I went back after the end of racing on Sat and surprisingly found the large SD card from the Go Pro ... the little one from the tail is still out there at T4b aka T9 aka T15 ...

The LI ones (ground down on one side a bit but seem robust) faired better than the Go Pro (which I think still works), but it exploded out of the case with battery's / lids / parts everywhere. I'm glad I had pockets in the leathers to put the parts of three cameras for later reassembly!

Mr.Ed
06-02-2014, 04:19 PM

That was MUUUCH better than the other one! Seriously, a lot more aggressive! Loved the overtake into T9... even thought you'd get crossed there but you made the apex! Kudos! :clap:

Saturnalian
06-02-2014, 06:23 PM

I'm a big fan of the Replay XD. They're rock solid.
They don't move in the mount, you can crash with them and run over them.

They are full 1080 HD, although i use mine at 720 to get the 60fps rate.
The earliest models had some average batteries but this is no longer a problem in all of the recent releases.

I use a Replay XD 1080 front cam and tried out a new Replay XD 1080 Mini as my rear camera at St George.
The audio in my vids is actually from the rear camera this time around.

They're easy to put anywhere on the bike as well, and with the case design, don't need protecting from the weather in any way.
Can't say enough good things about them.

As far as an out of the way front mount you can see my front camera with the yellow arrow on the attached image.
There you go.

J.

Saturnalian
06-02-2014, 06:25 PM

Dude, i was pissed when you passed me on the inside going into 4. Sooo pissed..... but i had nothing

chubb
06-02-2014, 06:37 PM
Dude, i was pissed when you passed me on the inside going into 4. Sooo pissed..... but i had nothing

I love going on the inside of 4.

chubb
06-02-2014, 06:38 PM
I'm a big fan of the Replay XD. They're rock solid.
They don't move in the mount, you can crash with them and run over them.

They are full 1080 HD, although i use mine at 720 to get the 60fps rate.
The earliest models had some average batteries but this is no longer a problem in all of the recent releases.

I use a Replay XD 1080 front cam and tried out a new Replay XD 1080 Mini as my rear camera at St George.
The audio in my vids is actually from the rear camera this time around.

They're easy to put anywhere on the bike as well, and with the case design, don't need protecting from the weather in any way.
Can't say enough good things about them.

As far as an out of the way front mount you can see my front camera with the yellow arrow on the attached image.
There you go.

J.

So the one I got is a recent release?

Saturnalian
06-02-2014, 06:46 PM
So the one I got is a recent release?

The one you got is a brand new camera, latest release, picked up last week to replace another that i'd bought secondhand a year ago.
I'd already bought the mini the same week i got the approval for the warrant replacement.

Win , and win....:clap::clap:

chubb
06-02-2014, 06:56 PM
Well if it works well I will buy the mini to mount up the front.

Medic!
06-02-2014, 07:44 PM
All I can say is BigW $48. So simple I can use it even with gloves. 3SIXT.Not as fancy as the others and probably lots less functions but for the price I can't fault it.

Medic!
06-02-2014, 09:05 PM
.. Managed to catch and pass him just before the finish line , makes up for him cutting me up on t1 off the start line.. he he
Smoked him on the straight there. Was the guy you passed at t8 anywhere near you at the finish?

JC
06-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Race 3 Sunday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNMGRoBbBdQ&feature=youtu.be

BoB
06-02-2014, 09:56 PM
Smoked him on the straight there. Was the guy you passed at t8 anywhere near you at the finish?

I finished with race time 9:09.09 , guy on the white cbr was 9:09.19 and the guy at T8 was 9:15.44

then James crossed the line just behind with a 9:15.50 . Close one there James.

Nelso
06-02-2014, 10:57 PM
Race 3 Sunday

You should just tuck in behind me on the straight. No need to go past like that.

Spilly209
07-02-2014, 04:35 AM

I swear I'm gonna buy you a quickshifter for valentines day!! Please tell me you have a slipper clutch??

Nice pass at turn 9

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JC
07-02-2014, 07:53 AM
You should just tuck in behind me on the straight. No need to go past like that.

Nope. I can't take you around the corners ....

Marshy
07-02-2014, 08:51 AM
I swear I'm gonna buy you a quickshifter for valentines day!! Please tell me you have a slipper clutch??

At least lets teach him how to upshift without the damn clutch!!!!!! Far out!

No slipper on the Hooooondas.

dan
07-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Slippers are cheating haha

dan
07-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Everything is cheating!

dan
07-02-2014, 09:23 AM
I keep thinking the dude in the red leathers with the white tail on his bike is me.

James_
07-02-2014, 09:25 AM
Hahaha Cheers Steve! I''l hold you to that.

I need some enlightening on this topic.... so i should always be upshifting without clutch (without a QS)?

James_
07-02-2014, 09:26 AM
Anyone know this guy?

Jospeh Vella I think. Hit the ground pretty hard, hope he is ok....?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coC2yOQgYWE

dan
07-02-2014, 09:27 AM
Hahaha Cheers Steve! I''l hold you to that.

I need some enlightening on this topic.... so i should always be upshifting without clutch (without a QS)?

So road...

James_
07-02-2014, 09:28 AM

Was smiling pretty hard under my helmet at that point! I'm not good enough to guive you the finger yet! Next time tho...

James_
07-02-2014, 09:29 AM
So road...

*Dirt

dan
07-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Anyone know this guy?

That is a pretty spectacular thump :(

BoB
07-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Anyone know this guy?

You did well not to collect his bike coming through t2 james, looks pretty close.

Saturnalian
07-02-2014, 09:33 AM
Was smiling pretty hard under my helmet at that point! I'm not good enough to guive you the finger yet! Next time tho...

That bit I can teach you. I practiced all day Sunday with Mario flagging on T9
Do you have a Roady as well. I used to do a 5km round ride once a week where I'd practice clutchless upshifts one way and clutch less downshifts back home. It's a good skill to have to "know your gearbox"

dan
07-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Are clutch less downshifts really necessary? Seems like putting extra load on the gearbox at a point where you could use clutch with out losing time. Or is this another slipper clutch move?

James_
07-02-2014, 09:43 AM
I have a roady, but I have almost zero desire to ride on the roads these days. Should probably sell it and buy another tracky.
I know how to clucthless shift (do it between t2 and t3 every lap)....for some reason I have it in my head that clutch upshift will help somewhat to gearbox preservation? n***a whaaaat?

James_
07-02-2014, 09:44 AM
You did well not to collect his bike coming through t2 james, looks pretty close.

I thought I was going to collect his front wheel. Almost prepparing for impact at that point.

Marshy
07-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Are clutch less downshifts really necessary? Seems like putting extra load on the gearbox at a point where you could use clutch with out losing time. Or is this another slipper clutch move?

Nope, not necessary at all (or recommended), but I once did the whole 4 hour with no clutch lever - so clutchless up and down shifts all day! Veeeeery interesting day....

As Jamie said, it's a useful skill to have in your bag of tricks, and also contributes significantly to your overall mechanical knowledge. If you know how something works, you know better how to ride so as not to hurt/break it.

Marshy
07-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Should probably sell it and buy another tracky.

Yes yes. Do this. But don't just buy another old banger Honda.

What is it with you and Dan anyway? :confused: Quality over quantity, fellas, ok? What's the point of buying a shed full of crappy bikes, when you could have one or two good bikes?!?!?

James_
07-02-2014, 09:58 AM
HEY! Its only dans shed that is full of shitters.
Mine is quite nice!

I like the idea of a UA (unfair advantage (R6)), but I don't want to be cheating just yet.

I think ive pretty much convinced myself to sell the roady. Could get multiple bikes with the proceeds!

Street triple r anyone??

Marshy
07-02-2014, 10:09 AM
Mine is quite nice!

I stand corrected, sorry.

Could get multiple bikes with the proceeds!

WHAT DID WE JUST SAY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Sheesh! :frusty:

dan
07-02-2014, 10:10 AM
Yes yes. Do this. But don't just buy another old banger Honda.

What is it with you and Dan anyway? :confused: Quality over quantity, fellas, ok? What's the point of buying a shed full of crappy bikes, when you could have one or two good bikes?!?!?

lol

Depends how you want to spend your money I guess. I get a lot of pleasure playing around and riding my old two strokes. At this stage I don't really see the point in dropping $7/8/9k on a wiz bang R6 when I'd have more fun having with the Gixxer and a RD350 and a H1500. Allocating funds to derive maximum satisfaction and all that (plus I'm saving to go to the World Cup which will probably cost 1.5-2 R6s).

Next year I'll probably be looking at getting a newer bike but for the moment I'm happy going around people on 'better' bikes on my rattle can gixxer.

You should be happy I'm not on a R6 mate I'd be breathing down your neck before you know it ;)

dan
07-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Mine is quite nice!

I like the idea of a UA (unfair advantage (R6)), but I don't want to be cheating just yet.

I think ive pretty much convinced myself to sell the roady. Could get multiple bikes with the proceeds!

Street triple r anyone??

pfft shitters. Classics mate, classics.

James_
07-02-2014, 10:40 AM
I stand corrected, sorry.

WHAT DID WE JUST SAY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! Sheesh! :frusty:

:pound:

Marty
07-02-2014, 10:50 AM
Sat race 12 600 clubby.

http://youtu.be/PBxPuNec8YI

BoB
07-02-2014, 11:13 AM
Sat race 12 600 clubby.

i enjoyed this one marty , shows the difference in the corners speeds .. Gives me some direction where im really slow and you nail me . Thanks for posting up. .

Mr.Ed
07-02-2014, 12:10 PM
plus I'm saving to go to the World Cup which will probably cost 1.5-2 R6s).

I think I'll see you there then! ;)

Mr.Ed
07-02-2014, 12:12 PM
Anyone know this guy?

I'm not against using the rear brake but that was some pretty poor application of the device I must say...

Marty
07-02-2014, 12:16 PM
i enjoyed this one marty , shows the difference in the corners speeds .. Gives me some direction where im really slow and you nail me . Thanks for posting up. .

Thanks mate, I've been doing the same thing. It's the first time I've ran two cams, it's really good to see where I'm strong and how/why people get passed me. I gotta stop leaving the door wide open entering T2!

dan
07-02-2014, 12:54 PM
I'm not against using the rear brake but that was some pretty poor application of the device I must say...

I thought the same. From where I sit I think he could have made the turn if he went for it.

chubb
07-02-2014, 05:27 PM
Sat race 12 600 clubby.

Just want to ask what is with the holding in of the clutch lever in turn 1? Sounds like your waiting before you shift down for what seems like an eternity.

Also you need to use more track!! You've got so much more useable space to run out for your exit drive. I think it was michaelt that told me that last year and what a difference it makes!

Marty
07-02-2014, 09:03 PM
Just want to ask what is with the holding in of the clutch lever in turn 1? Sounds like your waiting before you shift down for what seems like an eternity.

Also you need to use more track!! You've got so much more useable space to run out for your exit drive. I think it was michaelt that told me that last year and what a difference it makes!

My slipper clutch was fucked, the shift was made before I tipped in. i had zero engine braking all weekend ;( i had to ride the brakes so much through T1 just to stop it running off the track. Can u hear it slip when I pick up the throttle? Thanks for the tip, I'll try and run it out more. I need to try and tip into 1 later aswell.

Spilly209
07-02-2014, 09:50 PM
Nope, not necessary at all (or recommended), but I once did the whole 4 hour with no clutch lever - so clutchless up and down shifts all day! Veeeeery interesting day....

As Jamie said, it's a useful skill to have in your bag of tricks, and also contributes significantly to your overall mechanical knowledge. If you know how something works, you know better how to ride so as not to hurt/break it.

Yea I got taught how to shift down without clutch at a Bernie Hatton course at the farm. You basically put pressure on the gear lever first them give a healthy rev whilst simultaneously pushing down (in street pattern) for the gear down. When you get it right it's cool & sounds cool but you don't always get it right. And if you were to get it wrong hard on the breaks coming into a corner I reckon it would cause you to run on at the very least.

So I totally agree it's a good skill to learn just in case you ever need it but I'd use for emergencies only. I can't help but think MotoGP bikes have slipper clutches for a reason and I've seen they always use the clutch for every downshift even when it's multiple downshifts from 5th to 2nd or whatever. You can see with onboard footage they pull the clutch in rapid fire for each downshift. I really don't know why Bernie Hatton teaches this, CSS sure don't and nobody fast I've ever asked about it has agreed with it. Maybe it's a road riding tip or something...

Saturnalian
07-02-2014, 11:36 PM

+1 on this. Thats exactly where i was coming from. Its all about being able to, and understanding how the bits work but there is more to it.....

Yea I got taught how to shift down without clutch at a Bernie Hatton course at the farm. You basically put pressure on the gear lever first them give a healthy rev whilst simultaneously pushing down (in street pattern) for the gear down. When you get it right it's cool & sounds cool but you don't always get it right. And if you were to get it wrong hard on the breaks coming into a corner I reckon it would cause you to run on at the very least.

So I totally agree it's a good skill to learn just in case you ever need it but I'd use for emergencies only. I can't help but think MotoGP bikes have slipper clutches for a reason and I've seen they always use the clutch for every downshift even when it's multiple downshifts from 5th to 2nd or whatever. You can see with onboard footage they pull the clutch in rapid fire for each downshift. I really don't know why Bernie Hatton teaches this, CSS sure don't and nobody fast I've ever asked about it has agreed with it. Maybe it's a road riding tip or something...

Hang on a second Spilly. Lets expand on this more, do you blip your throttle on downshifts. We all do, well Nick doesn't, but it sounds fucking awesome.
But we really do this to unload the gearbox so we can use less clutch and get our shifts done quicker under hard braking. Just the same as every MotoGP and in Particular World Superbike / Supersport rider i've watched. You know those guys on the machines "just like" ours. Have you ever looked at their throttle hand when they're coming into a corner.
That throttle blip is to aid the gearbox. Or do you do it to keep your rev's up ? Its only got 2 wheels, not 18.

Why not use this skill/ drill to find out exactly how little we need to blip that throttle on our bikes in order to make those gear changes smoother and quicker so we can do it more efficiently and quicker on the track.
Thats why he teaches you that drill, and thats why i practiced it

Marshy
08-02-2014, 07:57 AM
I never blip the throttle, and I really mean NEVER. In all my riding years, I've simply never got the hang of the 'blip'. Every time I try, I release and reapply the front brake in conjunction with the blip. Clearly I'm unco or something ;)

But do you need the blip? Clearly not. Sure, it'd be better for the bike (I guess.... source on this??) but I've also never - touch wood - damaged a gearbox or fried a clutch in years of racing. So yes, it sounds awesome and I'd love to be able to do it, but I'm yet to see any evidence that not doing it is particularly bad. And this was even the case on my old Honda with no slipper clutch! Just banged down the gears and let the clutch out gently going into turns.....

Saturnalian
08-02-2014, 08:31 AM
I was waiting for this response Nick.
In the hope that you'd be the first to try one of these.....

http://www.bikehps.com/cabs/

No ones saying you need to do anything. And as is the way with technology i'm sure it will eventually be a thing of the past.
That being said I have personally never seen the really fast guys not do it.

And i love my bike, i'll do most anything to help extend its longevity and reliability, especially the little parts that i can't see.

KANGA
08-02-2014, 09:50 AM

No ones saying you need to do anything. And as is the way with technology i'm sure it will eventually be a thing of the past.

And i love my bike, i'll do most anything to help extend its longevity and reliability, especially the little parts that i can't see.
Oh so much want!! I have the same issue as you marshy. When I blip the throttle under hard braking my bike tends to pogo back and forth as my fingers modulate the brake pressure :( Used to be a lot worse, hoping I can fix it with practice ... or win the lottery and buy one of these auto blippers :D

dan
08-02-2014, 11:04 AM

That is pretty cool.

chubb
08-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Next we want this

http://www.bikesportdevelopments.co.uk/mobile/Product.aspx?id=37571

dan
08-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Should do a group buy

Mr.Ed
08-02-2014, 12:28 PM
I never blip the throttle, and I really mean NEVER. In all my riding years, I've simply never got the hang of the 'blip'. Every time I try, I release and reapply the front brake in conjunction with the blip. Clearly I'm unco or something ;)

But do you need the blip? Clearly not. Sure, it'd be better for the bike (I guess.... source on this??) but I've also never - touch wood - damaged a gearbox or fried a clutch in years of racing. So yes, it sounds awesome and I'd love to be able to do it, but I'm yet to see any evidence that not doing it is particularly bad. And this was even the case on my old Honda with no slipper clutch! Just banged down the gears and let the clutch out gently going into turns.....

This!! Down to the old honda with no slipper clutch! hahahaha Not riding on the road also severely limits my opportunities to learn that skill but I don't think I've ever missed it...

chrispy09
09-02-2014, 12:25 AM

Nick i was almost laughing reading your opinion on the LI camera's, but thank you for sharing, you've stopped me making a purchase i might honestly regret. "you get what you pay for" I'm a believer!
Anyone else share any thoughts on GoPro verses Replay XD/Mini? I've had only good to great experience with my older GoPro's so far.

chrispy09
09-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Nick i was almost laughing reading your opinion on the LI camera's, but thank you for sharing, you've stopped me making a purchase i might honestly regret. "you get what you pay for" I'm a believer!
Anyone else share any thoughts on GoPro verses Replay XD/Mini? I've had only good to great experience with my older GoPro's so far.

Like seriously Power on and Record... on a video camera.... is it that hard to get it right?

Marshy
09-02-2014, 05:43 AM
Shouldn't be, right? Even just 'saving' the button press for Record and triggering record mode when it's ready to record would work fine.

chubb
09-02-2014, 06:31 AM

I run the gopro but currently bought a Replay XD

The go pros are good and simple to use. Good battery life and quality video.

The only thing I hate about them are the mounts and the shear bulk of them.

I always have a feeling the weight of the go pro will tear off the double sided tape mount.

The replay I bought shoots in 1080p as well as the go pro.
Battery life is less but really when races and sessions are less than 15 mins is it really relevant?

The Replay is much much smaller which I really really like!

shippy__
09-02-2014, 06:59 AM
Oh so much want!! I have the same issue as you marshy. When I blip the throttle under hard braking my bike tends to pogo back and forth as my fingers modulate the brake pressure :( Used to be a lot worse, hoping I can fix it with practice ... or win the lottery and buy one of these auto blippers :D

I find that when I am braking early and not as aggressive the lever can modulate a little on the blip as it has more lever to pull, but when braking under racing conditions with the brakes under full load + a little more leaver the blip doesn't affect it as there is no more lever to pull

shippy__
09-02-2014, 07:14 AM

Don't buy from KOGAN
To be a gopro reseller you need to have a shop front, kogan get around this buy buying all there gopro's into Hong Kong and ship to a whorehouse in Aus they erase the gopro serial numbers and replace it with there own number, this voids gopro warranty and you can no longer update your gopro through the gopro website (you need to call Kogan tech)

Kogan warranty is bullshit my usb slot fell out

Kogan:What is the over all condtion of the gopro?

Shippy: I have only used it twice its pretty much perfect the usb slot just fell out

Kogan:As the unit has suffered physical damage, we can not offer to assess this under warranty.

Kogan will not reply to any further emails

Now I know I am kinda to blame, but I wasn't rough with it...... anyways I did some googleing and it seems to be common, and gopro replace the cameras straight up when the usb slot fails

shippy__
09-02-2014, 07:27 AM
http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z57/tweaker__/1782434_10151903169265671_597860808_o_zps1a28e81a. jpg

chrispy09
09-02-2014, 11:37 AM
[quote name="chrispy09" post=8626]Nick i was almost laughing reading your opinion on the LI camera's, but thank you for sharing, you've stopped me making a purchase i might honestly regret. "you get what you pay for" I'm a believer!

I run the gopro but currently bought a Replay XD

The go pros are good and simple to use. Good battery life and quality video.

The only thing I hate about them are the mounts and the shear bulk of them.

I always have a feeling the weight of the go pro will tear off the double sided tape mount.

The replay I bought shoots in 1080p as well as the go pro.

Battery life is less but really when races and sessions are less than 15 mins is it really relevant?

The Replay is much much smaller which I really really like!

Chubb, nice! Thanks for the reply.
I have the same thoughts and concerns about the mounts re gopro

Thanks!!!!

chrispy09
09-02-2014, 04:27 PM
Sorry the quote strings didn't work. Thanks Chubb and shippy.

Saturnalian
10-02-2014, 04:22 PM
Took me a while......

Sunday Race #3- 600cc Modern.
Data from Harry's Lap timer overlaid with Race Render 3. Took about 2 mins to synchronise Vid #1, Vid #2 and the data with the new version

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP7S1pOBJ3E

Saturnalian
10-02-2014, 04:24 PM
and working backwards now, here's race #2- 600cc Modern

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXTIod91Nm0&feature=youtu.be

Marty
12-02-2014, 08:25 AM
Here's race 12 on Sunday. I attempted to make a rear view mirror style effect. I think it kind of works ok

http://youtu.be/IWCoWMVLags

Mr.Ed
12-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Here's race 12 on Sunday. I attempted to make a rear view mirror style effect. I think it kind of works ok

http://youtu.be/IWCoWMVLags

You seriously need to work on your T9... losing over a sec there every lap bar one! It seems it's taking you a little too long to get the bike on its side there... and braking a bit too much as well. Again, hard to tell by just looking at the video but you can clearly see that without that corner you'd finish a good 2-3 spots ahead.

Marty
12-02-2014, 05:57 PM
You seriously need to work on your T9... losing over a sec there every lap bar one! It seems it's taking you a little too long to get the bike on its side there... and braking a bit too much as well. Again, hard to tell by just looking at the video but you can clearly see that without that corner you'd finish a good 2-3 spots ahead.

Yeh I know, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had close to zero engine braking, it was like pulling the clutch in with the front brakes. So T1, T2, T9 every lap was stuffed I'd bomb in with no mechanical grip at the rear, I could've cried. Every race from the exit of T12 to the exit of T2 I'd lose places/distance then make it up, lose ground again at T9, make it back up just in time to do it all again.

I really shoulda pulled the clutch out of it on Saturday night, but turns out I didn't have enough spares anyway. The main cause of the problem from what I can see was the clutch springs have sagged along with the stack height wearing down and was engaging the slipper way to easily. I think I've been abusing the clutch hard in the course of learning how to take advantage of it.

Look how glazed the plates were (bottom) and after (top)

chubb
12-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Always next time to go round and round.

Marshy
13-02-2014, 01:04 PM
Yeh I know, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I had close to zero engine braking, it was like pulling the clutch in with the front brakes. So T1, T2, T9 every lap was stuffed I'd bomb in with no mechanical grip at the rear, I could've cried. Every race from the exit of T12 to the exit of T2 I'd lose places/distance then make it up, lose ground again at T9, make it back up just in time to do it all again.

I really shoulda pulled the clutch out of it on Saturday night, but turns out I didn't have enough spares anyway. The main cause of the problem from what I can see was the clutch springs have sagged along with the stack height wearing down and was engaging the slipper way to easily. I think I've been abusing the clutch hard in the course of learning how to take advantage of it.

Look how glazed the plates were (bottom) and after (top)

Mmmmm, toasty!

Marty
13-02-2014, 06:11 PM
Always next time to go round and round.

Yep as they say "we're not racing for sheep stations". Just gotta learn how often to check the clutch so I don't get caught out again!

shippy__
19-02-2014, 08:44 AM
my first time on the north circut, lots of errors lots of room for improvement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXUVjOnPido&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Marshy
19-02-2014, 10:15 AM
That's some nice riding!! I bet you were breathing hard after the moment with Oggy at 4:15.....

Looks fast. I'd be holding 4th into turn 10 (or turn 16, or whatever it's called now). And over the hill out of 3, I hold 3rd, saving another gear change. Good speed and lines through turn 1 :peace:

shippy__
19-02-2014, 11:57 AM
That's some nice riding!! I bet you were breathing hard after the moment with Oggy at 4:15.....

Looks fast. I'd be holding 4th into turn 10 (or turn 16, or whatever it's called now). And over the hill out of 3, I hold 3rd, saving another gear change. Good speed and lines through turn 1 :peace:

thanks marshy....nah no hard breathing, I was more annoyed that oggy had the line and I had to chop it.... I had no idea it was oggy untill you pointed it out

Mr.Ed
19-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Good move on the outside of 11 though... it took more balls than I'd have I reckon. Then again it might be 'cause everytime I tried something similar I got pushed out... to a point where the outside wall and I nearly high 5'ed.

Kaneg
19-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Good bit of riding mate,

chubb
19-02-2014, 06:16 PM
Good move on the outside of 11 though... it took more balls than I'd have I reckon. Then again it might be 'cause everytime I tried something similar I got pushed out... to a point where the outside wall and I nearly high 5'ed.

It's going around the outside of 10 to have the inside line to 11 which is bloody difficult.

Need to carry A LOT more corner speed than what I thought. Saw Wetty pulled that on Marshy last year and I tried it this year when I was absolutely knacked on the last club sport race.

Went around the outside of Cliffy at 10 but did not have enough corner speed to put my front wheel in front of his at 11.

Marshy
19-02-2014, 06:22 PM
I learnt from that, and now it's my favourite last-lap overtaking spot!!

shippy__
19-02-2014, 07:44 PM
Good bit of riding mate,

thanks mate, cant wait till im ready to state that.... you just reminded me I need to order a foot peg bung off you

Mr.Ed
19-02-2014, 10:38 PM
It's going around the outside of 10 to have the inside line to 11 which is bloody difficult.

Need to carry A LOT more corner speed than what I thought. Saw Wetty pulled that on Marshy last year and I tried it this year when I was absolutely knacked on the last club sport race.

Went around the outside of Cliffy at 10 but did not have enough corner speed to put my front wheel in front of his at 11.

Yep that's a tough one too... my problem with overtaking on the outside of T11 is that I think it's hard to gauge how fast/soon the other rider will drift out or not. That's pretty much how I've been caught out most times... thought the dude would actually make the apex at least. He didn't. I didn't. He drifted wide... I drifted to the grass.

shippy__
20-02-2014, 12:02 PM
did anyone notice how loose the bike is ?
I like loose but coming over the crest out of 3 it can get nasty. On Sunday I left it in third and just kept WOT over the crest, massive head shake so I got off it, only to find I had no front brake for turn 4 and it was to late for a second grab just coasted as deep as I could then rolled on the throttle ( I didn't know I could carry that much speed though 4 lol)

When I shift up to 4th over the crest it puts a little more weight on the front and doesn't get violent

question here
http://www.tarmactalk.com/forum/showthread.php?521-r6-and-head-shake&p=9031#post9031

Baddie
20-02-2014, 09:47 PM
Well I think its been long enough Mr Marsh...Where are your video's?

BoB
20-02-2014, 11:23 PM
Well i think its been long enough ... anyone got any vids of Baddie riding that hondawaki...

Time to come and play with us at the ardc ...

although he did tell me he had done a 1:46 on the gp last week and did a session in red

did anyone here see it ?

Well I think its been long enough Mr Marsh...Where are your video's?

chubb
21-02-2014, 06:11 AM
Unless it's on the internet.

It's not official.

Marshy
21-02-2014, 03:55 PM
http://cdn2.business2community.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/lonely-computer-guy-quickly-makes-back-lost-nigerian-money-photo-u1.jpg

BoB
21-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Nick I think the links broken .. I havent won anything yet

Marshy
21-02-2014, 06:52 PM
You first need to deposit $1,000 into my Western Union account, so I can pay my agent to transfer the $10,000 into your account.