shippy__
23-01-2014, 07:20 PM
Well there is a united with e85 around the corner

Can you use the stock tune or does it have to be put on the dyno with a bazzaz

expand teach me !

Go

senator8
23-01-2014, 07:25 PM
E85 requires much more fuel. You need a map specific for that fuel.

Marshy
23-01-2014, 08:38 PM
And for no advantage. It doesn't make more power (it does burn cleaner though), and you use 30%+ more of it.

Carl-52
23-01-2014, 09:10 PM
Actually that isnt quite correct... The Motorsports team that im part of at my uni runs our racecar (2011 r6 engine) on e85. to get it to utilise the fuel we had to do alot of things but yes, e85 gives more power, burns cleaner and in a better gas flow. We use a full Motec electronics system to control everything, which allows us to play with ignition maps, full fuel maps etc etc instead of just altering the original fuel map like a powercommander or bazzaz unit does. Ignition timing and fuel maps are very different between e85 and pump 98. IF you had full control of your ecu and could create fully custom settings power would be made. You cannot just run e85 in your bike with a quick bazzaz/powercommander retune.. It is ALOT of work :)

Carl-52
23-01-2014, 09:14 PM
i would like to try and play around with methanol in my dirtbike for flat track racing... 20% power increase (average figure), runs cooler but it eats rubber and aluminium so lots of fab work to get it working and a strict fueling/flushing routine.

Marshy
23-01-2014, 09:42 PM
our racecar (2011 r6 engine)

So when your bike shoots to the front of the grid in November with a squillion horsepower, we know where the engine will have come from!!! :D

Carl-52
23-01-2014, 09:52 PM
hahah i was actually thinking of pilfering a few parts here or there :) I dont trust or like the guy who "tries" to dyno it, its all a little bit hap hazzard and before i got there guess what, 14000rpm at startup to "clean it out"!!!! so i wont be borrowing the engine!!!! e85 could be good for a 6-10hp boost, But at uni if we blow an engine with wrong ignition settings it isnt my wallet :P

Mr.Ed
23-01-2014, 10:19 PM
I used to have all my cars running E85, definitely lots more go. We used to have to bump the compression up a fair bit and change cams/polish intake to get the most out of it but it was definitely worth it. Also, turbo engines benefited the most... you could run some crazy pressures and no issues whatsoever. Most race bikes/cars in Brazil run straight ethanol because of that (that thing has been around on pumps there since the 70s so most mechanics have no issues with it). Having said that, all the above is based in my own experience during the late 80s early 90s. Also known as they time when Carl was a baby and Stu just a middle age man! :boink:

In all seriousness though, I know a heaaaaaap of guys over there who race their ZX6/ZX10/R6 and even BMWs on E85. Apparently you can run it without messing too much with the bike but if you want bigger gains you'll need a thinner head gasket, different injectors, plugs then play with the ignition point.

Also, cold starts and E85 do not mix well... and if your R6 is as hard to start when cold as mine was (think a good 4-5secs on the button) your battery will not be happy.

Marty
24-01-2014, 07:24 AM
My mates V8 turbo drag car gained an additional 5-600 rwhp switching from 98 to E85. Forced induction does respond to it very well. He started out buying it in the barrel from proper suppliers like V8 Supercars do, but has since learnt how to get it to run better on the pump stuff than the barrel.

The main thing he learnt was to actually test the fuel. The servo at Rozelle he uses actually tested to E91 not E85. Now they go down there with drums and they'll test a sample first, if it's E91 they'll take 20-40L at a time. If you don't have consistent fuel you're up shit creek.

He runs E85 for the sake of being legal, he can drive to the track in his fully engineered car on pump gas, with full legal/quite exhaust swap the rear wheels to slicks, attach the chute and do 8.20 ET and drive home. As far as I know it's Australia's fastest legit street car.

Playing around with E85 is on my long list of ToDos

No_Style
28-01-2014, 07:01 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i'm pretty certain E85 has a much higher octane rating than PULP, from memory it's around 105 RON or slightly higher. The impact of that is better resistance to detonation under higher compression, so if you actually worked an engine for it properly (i.e. up the compression ratio and/or modify the timing) to take advantage of it, it can definitely yield more power. This is the reason the turbo cars love it, you can run massive boost pressure without knock and hence no retardation of the timing advance by the ECU.

You used to have to pay a lot for fuel with a 105 rating (ELF anyone? :)) or run Av gas....As mentioned by others though, you would have to build the engine specifically for it to get the most out of it.