PDA

View Full Version : Dirt Bikes

chubb
13-01-2014, 12:16 PM
I'm starting to look for one and toying with the idea of getting one.

Having no experience at all, what is a good bike (probably will buy it used) (make and model)

What to look for when looking for a dirt bike?

Stu23
13-01-2014, 12:37 PM
A large Wallet !!

chubb
13-01-2014, 01:05 PM
hahahah! Maybe I'll just borrow yours Stu!

CLIFFY
13-01-2014, 01:09 PM
KTM for me

Stu23
13-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Is almost empty Rick :(

Stu23
13-01-2014, 01:16 PM
you can come around and have a go if you like Rancell

mercho
13-01-2014, 01:35 PM
I had a wr450 as my first dirt bike Rancell, loved it! Only got rid of it just before my ankle operation last year, and I will plan to get another one!

They are bullet proof, registrable, easy to work on and a ton of fun!

Nelso
13-01-2014, 01:43 PM
If you want to do some rider training for the dirt (even before you buy one), Dale Corser (Troy's brother) runs a dirt bike riding school at the south end of Wollongong. http://www.corserconceptsmotorcycleschool.com/

You are better off doing the intermediate course even though you are new to dirt as the beginner course is for people that haven't ridden at all. Leanne had never ridden dirt in her life and wasn't sure if she wanted to get a dirt bike so we did the intermediate course with a few of our mates and it was a heap of fun, but mostly, she learnt heaps and had the confidence and ability to get stuck in as soon as she got a dirt bike. It was the best thing we could have done before getting the dirt bikes!

As for what bike. The new KTM 300 EXC would be a great bike to start with.

Stu23
13-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Have a go on my old school CR250 ... you will love it Rancell its a handful ;)

CLIFFY
13-01-2014, 02:28 PM
The new KTM 300 EXC would be a great bike to start with.

That's next on my list.
A few mates have them and they can do everything I need. Road rides, desert rides (with additional fuel in the back up vehicle), bush trails, chase pigs down etc etc
My 125sx misses out on half of that, mainly due to no rego.

chubb
13-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Have a go on my old school CR250 ... you will love it Rancell its a handful ;)

might definitely come up just to have a play

dan
13-01-2014, 03:25 PM
I'm looking at getting one in the second half of the year. Would like to learn a bit about the rear wheel sliding without having to do it at 160kmh at EC.

shippy__
13-01-2014, 03:31 PM
you blokes must be loaded track bikes and dirt bikes.....

I grew up on em, only problem is its to easy to go for a sunday ride EVERY Sunday. ...gets a bit much mrs stop putting out

wife wants a bayliner

Stu23
13-01-2014, 03:32 PM
Dan you need to go dirt tracking :)

dan
13-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Dan you need to go dirt tracking :)

Totally. I'm really keen to get into it. I've never really ridden dirt before - grew up in the middle of the city so dirt bikes / places to ride them were very limited. Kept meaning to go riding with James last year but the timing never worked out.

Going to have to sell a bunch of bikes before I get one though to bring the collection into line.

CLIFFY
13-01-2014, 03:38 PM
you blokes must be loaded track bikes and dirt bikes.....

I grew up on em, only problem is its to easy to get go for a sunday ride EVERY Sunday. ...gets a bit much mrs stop putting out

wife wants a bayliner
No, we're broke from choking up the garages with bikes.
Cash up front solves your problem with the mrs....

Stu23
13-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Carl started racing dirt track last year on his little CR125 honda... Had a brilliant time... hes on here carl-52 i think, message him he will tell you more about it than i can

CLIFFY
13-01-2014, 03:40 PM
Totally. I'm really keen to get into it. I've never really ridden dirt before - grew up in the middle of the city so dirt bikes / places to ride them were very limited.

Move away from the city
Best thing we ever did

chubb
13-01-2014, 03:41 PM
Definitely want to get some time on the dirt this year

Phat3R
13-01-2014, 04:05 PM
If you want to do some rider training for the dirt (even before you buy one), Dale Corser (Troy's brother) runs a dirt bike riding school at the south end of Wollongong. http://www.corserconceptsmotorcycleschool.com/

You are better off doing the intermediate course even though you are new to dirt as the beginner course is for people that haven't ridden at all. Leanne had never ridden dirt in her life and wasn't sure if she wanted to get a dirt bike so we did the intermediate course with a few of our mates and it was a heap of fun, but mostly, she learnt heaps and had the confidence and ability to get stuck in as soon as she got a dirt bike. It was the best thing we could have done before getting the dirt bikes!

As for what bike. The new KTM 300 EXC would be a great bike to start with.

I did that course ... was great fun ... Dale's a nice bloke too.

Phat3R
13-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Anyone done any oval with St George???

dan
13-01-2014, 05:17 PM
Anyone done any oval with St George???

Do StG have a dirt division?

chubb
13-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Yeah they organise dirt racing too

Stu23
13-01-2014, 06:16 PM
yes Carl has :)

Carl-52
13-01-2014, 06:25 PM
St George Dirt Track championship is probably the best run Dirt track series in NSW :) Great fun for learning some skills and so far i have found my self using some of those skills on my first 4 trackdays. :thumb: Great sliding practice, locking up all brakes and definately using the back brake. Oh an of course shoulder/elbow rubbing and VERY close and aggresive racing practice. :faint2:

For anyone who wants to give it a go and has a bike, there is a practice day at Nepean Raceway on the 8th of Feb (i believe its the 8th), the weekend after the first STG road racing round. Anyone is welcome, need an MA licence or a day licence and some small amount of money to pay to get on track.

chubb
13-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Looking on bike sales. Ho dum de dum

Carl-52
13-01-2014, 06:30 PM
Bike wise it depends on how good or keen you are for maintenance.. DEEP wallets work wonders here... :scared: you do see some people racing more enduro orientated 4 strokes, but the super trick motocross style bikes rule the track... and in case your wondering all you need to do for setup is firm up the suspension abit (rebound and comp to stop it bucking and diving) and also you need to run a trials tyre on the rear (NO REAR NOBBIES ALOWED!!!). Trials tyres are quit cheap tho, plus mine lasted me a season of racing with two different clubs :)

Carl-52
13-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Rancell, Canberra has a great Dirt Track club you could join to race locally, they race at Fairburn park (big motorcycle complex)... StG also do a round of racing down there. Its a GREAT track.

chubb
13-01-2014, 07:32 PM
I don't think I will do racing on them.

It's just bush bashing and just to train up on the dirt.

Either the hoonda or ktm I'm looking at the moment.

Phat3R
13-01-2014, 09:33 PM
King of Nepean 2013 footage ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsmUOkKgt_U

Carl-52
13-01-2014, 09:33 PM
ktm are expensive for spares and hondas are very reliable... you looking at 450's?

Carl-52
13-01-2014, 09:36 PM
ill be entering king of nepean for some fun this year, see how i go :P

Phat3R
13-01-2014, 09:43 PM
ill be entering king of nepean for some fun this year, see how i go :P

:thumb:

Stu23
13-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Faaark I need an even bigger Wallet then and something to put in it too :(

dan
13-01-2014, 09:52 PM
Looks like heaps of fun.

Carl-52
13-01-2014, 09:55 PM
dad its a 2stroke!!! not too much for a new piston and rings... im not lowering forks, shocks, buying wheel sets etc etc

Stu23
13-01-2014, 09:57 PM
lets not talk about the new crank and full rebuild , barrel , head just done then hey

Carl-52
13-01-2014, 09:59 PM
thats because we bought an old bike to begin with?? cranks and bottom rebuilds are not a common thing :)

chubb
13-01-2014, 09:59 PM
ktm are expensive for spares and hondas are very reliable... you looking at 450's?

Yeah maybe the CRF

Carl-52
13-01-2014, 10:01 PM
anything after 05 is good for honda crf's. have you ridden a recent-ish motocross bike?

Little Mick
14-01-2014, 07:09 AM
Chubb

are you after road registerable or pure off road (needs to be road registered if going on firetrails or on crown land).

If you are after a pure off road (eg Mx) I have an 09 yz125 and my young bloke has an 07 YZ125.. he will be going stateside later this year for studies so will be offloading one if you are interested.

Cheers

Little Mick

chubb
14-01-2014, 08:04 AM
anything after 05 is good for honda crf's. have you ridden a recent-ish motocross bike?

motards count?

chubb
14-01-2014, 08:05 AM
Chubb

are you after road registerable or pure off road (needs to be road registered if going on firetrails or on crown land).

If you are after a pure off road (eg Mx) I have an 09 yz125 and my young bloke has an 07 YZ125.. he will be going stateside later this year for studies so will be offloading one if you are interested.

Cheers

Little Mick

Not quite sure what I'm after yet..

I will definitely give you a bell though once I know which route I'm going

Marty
14-01-2014, 08:35 AM
I've been riding dirt for a couple of years now, first bike was a 125 2T MX bike and now I got a KTM 450 EXC

I spent a lot of time researching before I bought this.

- it's road registered and is reliable enough to actually ride on the road even on nobbies. Comes with a starter motor and thermo fan stock and a tall 6th gear, I've had this thing up to 170kph checked against GPS. Hardly anything has a 6th gear.

- I've got a supermoto setup for it, nice plastics, 17" wheels etc. I swap between dirt and supermoto setups.

- great for enduro, this is what they are built for, awesome torque for hill climbs and technical stuff.

- my model (05) has the legendary KTM RFS motor, these aren't insanely powerful but are insanely reliable. I've found them good to work on.

What is can do: bush bashing, enduro, road riding, flat track, street tarding.

What it can't do: motorcross, race/track supermoto. This is due to the enduro suspension and lack of top end power, this is where u have to go to an MX bike.

Paid 5k for the bike, in rego with the dirt and sumo setups. I would like to get a MX bike aswell one day but never instead of.

dan
14-01-2014, 08:43 AM
Nice!

Marty
14-01-2014, 11:21 AM
Nice!

Thanks!

I'm about to install a STM slipper clutch in it and start going to the EC karts Motard nights when they start up again. I don't expect it to be great (my bike that is), I'll go in the B group and have some fun. I got a couple of mates with tards so it'll be a bit of fun and dirt cheap track time

chubb
14-01-2014, 12:10 PM
I've narrowed it down to either the yammie or the Honda.

looking at both wr 250 and 450 and the Honda crf 450 and 250.

time to go test riding me thinks!

James_
14-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Ive ridden dirt for a while now. Not nearly as often as I would like. I can't recommend it nearly enough. Bought a CRF450X new and couldnt be happier. Great machine. Only change Honda have made to it sans plastics since 05 is EFI - introduced for 08 or 09....which is saying something. I want to get another and motard the thing for road and racing.

I mainly do enduro, had a little fun on Supercross and MX tracks but they are so hard on the machine, and get boring after a while. Enduro keeps the mind active, nothing like a tight, fast single trail!! Rally are great to enter also, 700 odd bikes doing 80km loops......sorts the men from boys!!! not really racing but you can race your makes. and win new bikes!

For anyone wanting to get into it, I wouldn't be paying for lessons at all. Buy an old shitter, learn basics, once you find yourself, find some quick dudes to tail and you will learn a lot more and a lot faster than a tutorial will offer.
Only things you need to remember is that its the polar opposite to track in every aspect, yet its the same principles, throttle control, body position, vision.

I would advise against a Yami. If you must tho the 426's were quick as shit but unreliable. WR450 circa 05 were their best model. And try to get one without the magic button! earn your stripes by kicking the shit out of it half way up a snotty hill, out of breath, sweating

mercho
14-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Dont go the 250 Rancell, you will want to upgrade pretty quick. Im a short arse and was a newbie on the dirt and got the hang of the 450 pretty quick..

F@rk the kick start!!! lol, The WR450s have both (although the electric starters in the 03 04 can be temperamental). Last thing you want when your stuck on a steep hill after binning it is to be kick starting! I had the 03 model which was great to learn on and pretty cheap to buy, only thing that went wrong was the starter motor! Next time around ill go the 07+ with the newer frames, but the 03 was a real great bush basher to learn on!

James_
14-01-2014, 02:15 PM
Dont go the 250 Rancell, you will want to upgrade pretty quick. Im a short arse and was a newbie on the dirt and got the hang of the 450 pretty quick..

F@rk the kick start!!! lol, The WR450s have both (although the electric starters in the 03 04 can be temperamental). Last thing you want when your stuck on a steep hill after binning it is to be kick starting! I had the 03 model which was great to learn on and pretty cheap to buy, only thing that went wrong was the starter motor! Next time around ill go the 07+ with the newer frames, but the 03 was a real great bush basher to learn on!

As I said, its about earning your stripes! Gives you a great understanding of TDC and a greater appreciation of the button when you get one.

Otherwise you may as well go hang out with the "flat peaked cap wearing, ear tucked in, Dad have you warmed my bike up for me yet im too busy drinkin monster to do anything myself" MX douchebags

mercho
14-01-2014, 02:27 PM
Hahah

The option for the kick start is still there with the WR's. I used to use it a fair bit to save putting load on the shitty starter motor..

Marty
14-01-2014, 03:00 PM
MX is different though, when your stuck on a nasty hill you want the button. I'm a short ass there's times when i just can't kick it on my own.. I still kick mine usually first start of the day and often to save my battery for when I really need it on a tight single.

I've been turned off the yammies, they absolutly hammer but every one I've ever ridden with on a yz or WR gets stuck kicking the fuck out of it trying to start it "ahh must be the valve clearances". I was driving home last night at 11pm and found my mate pushing his wr450 Motard home. He'd been pushing it for kilometers the poor bastard.

I'm a Honda guy but didn't go a crf because of all the hype about valve problems, not sure if it's as common as people say though.

James_
14-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Did you at least wave and honk saying "should've bought a honda!" as you drove by your mate?

Missing the point i think. All Im saying is for new-comers not to spoil themselves with (what I think) is a priviliged option. Crawl before walk etc.

And the stab at MX is purely to make a point. Lost count of the amount of spoilt rich kids on their arse barking orders at their drained fathers about how their bike isnt ready for them.
Plenty of hardworking non douch MX's/free stylers out there also, but they are the minority.

No probs with the CRF valves.....yet , but servicing and not being on the limit all the time will ensure that on any bike.

Work is slow today.

Marty
14-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Yeh my first bike was kick only (but a 2T) but the moment u estart on a hill for the first time u wonder how u ever lived without it.

What about all this rekluse auto clutch bs everyone's crapping on about on the forums? That sounds like it's crossing the line to me but I bet if I road one is secretly love it

I don't know much about MX, been to Appin once on my kato and the thing was way out of its league bottoming out everywhere, not going back without a MX bike, but I saw the flat capping monster drinking kids you speak of

James_
14-01-2014, 03:57 PM
I saw one of those last year on some aussie champ chick's enduro ktm down at Lochmaree. Seems like cheating to me!

I really dont see the point though, clutch is crucial! Especially for hillclimbs.

Buy a postie instead.

Marty
14-01-2014, 05:30 PM
Did you at least wave and honk saying "should've bought a honda!" as you drove by your mate
Haha I'm not that slack! When I saw the silhouette of a dirt bike being pushed in the night I say to my mrs "fuck I hope that's not my bike.. Then I see the race no! Bloody hell it's Matty!" Pulled up and had a chat for half an hour and offered to take it in the ute (he had about 1km uphill to go) or leave it in my shed for the night but he wouldn't take me up on it, I think it was a pride thing since he'd pushed it so far already. I'd have taken the lift, but I'm a lazy prick who likes starter motors

chubb
14-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Oh definitely the dirt bike I buy will not be a kick start

Stuff that shit in the modern day of electric start

Carl-52
14-01-2014, 09:35 PM
As I said, its about earning your stripes!
hang out with the "flat peaked cap wearing, ear tucked in, Dad have you warmed my bike up for me yet im too busy drinkin monster to do anything myself" MX douchebags

HEY HEY HEY!!!! Luckily im not one of those "Mx douchebags" !!!!!!! I might have taken offence....:rofl:
However, it is soo much fun passing guys riding brand new 450's or 250's whilst im on my 13 year old 125 :dance:

Most of the Mx complexes have an enduro loop or trail anyone can ride on. When i go to Appin i ride the main MX track and the trails (single track extended trails included).

I Cant think of anything better than a 2 stroke 125 for throttle/clutch control and riding practice, you have to be at 110% to go fast ALWAYS... 4 strokes make you lazy :couch:

Rancell, dont bother with a 250 4 stroke, you will get bored of it. But a 250 2 stroke??, it scares me... :thumb:

Little Mick
14-01-2014, 10:52 PM
I Cant think of anything better than a 2 stroke 125 for throttle/clutch control and riding practice, you have to be at 110% to go fast ALWAYS...

this.. is why we went with the 125s...well that and the 250 2/s scare me too...

Nelso
15-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Rancell, dont bother with a 250 4 stroke, you will get bored of it. But a 250 2 stroke??, it scares me... :thumb:

That's like saying don't worry about riding a 600 on the track because you will get bored of it, get a 1000 because they are scary. If someone is new to something, it's not a bad idea to start on something they have a bit of control over. A 250 two stroke will not teach you how to ride when you are starting out, it will hold you back because you won't be able to control it.

Nelso
15-01-2014, 11:09 AM
Oh definitely the dirt bike I buy will not be a kick start

Stuff that shit in the modern day of electric start

A mate of ours has a WR450 and has to kick it all the time despite having the starter because the starter drains the battery too much. As Mercho said, make sure you get a model that doesn't have this problem as you will get tired of it very fast.

Medic!
15-01-2014, 12:21 PM
I had a yz 490 2 smoke way back. It liked digging trenches and trying to launch itself into orbit at times but was heaps of fun. Someone decided they would like to own it and wheeled away just after our four legged security system passed away. I'd only just paid it off too.

Stu23
15-01-2014, 12:25 PM
Carl has been thrown so far sideways off a jump as the CR lit up I thought he was a gonner..... his legs were thrown over and around the radiator shroud, then, gawd knows how, it all came back and he landed it !! he wasnt keen on riding it much after that......... but hes much better on it now... still catches me out sometimes too though

Carl-52
15-01-2014, 12:35 PM
A 250 two stroke will not teach you how to ride

I very much agree to this point, i think you mistook my meaning... I was trying to distignuish the large difference that is between the 250 4stroke and 250 2 strokes. But also i cant find any older 250 4strokes that are realistic on both price and condition, if learning is the key idea i wouldnt buy a 250 4stroke they are just too easy to ride fast on straight away.

dan
15-01-2014, 01:21 PM
When I get one I want a 250/300 smoker!

Carl-52
15-01-2014, 01:49 PM
they are just agressive and evil, in every way...

dan
15-01-2014, 02:00 PM
What can I say - I like my bikes how I like my women ;)

Marty
15-01-2014, 06:04 PM
It depends if we're talking about enduro or MX

450 4T enduro or a road rego 250 2T aren't anywhere near as serious as the equivalent MX model.

My 450 EXCis fairly tame, I wouldn't any less. My old RM125 was wild, I road a 250 mx bike one time, made my R1 feel like a LAMS bike in comparison.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Nelso
15-01-2014, 06:57 PM
But also i cant find any older 250 4strokes that are realistic on both price and condition,

Leanne's '99 KLX250 was under $2K.;)

Nelso
15-01-2014, 07:06 PM
My brother used to race CR 250 and 500 2 strokes back in the day and has nothing but 450 4 stroke and 250 2 stroke MX bikes in the past 10 years. Last year he bought a 300 EXC and loves it. At first he thought it would be underpowered and was worried he would get bored with it, but the opposite ended up true. He says it's so light and easy to throw around which makes it easier to ride faster and more fun to ride than the higher powered bikes. Just food for thought.

Marty
15-01-2014, 07:23 PM
I have this crazy ass idea..

TarmacTalk Dirt Ride :dance:

dan
16-01-2014, 12:29 PM
DirtTalk

Marshy
16-01-2014, 01:08 PM
DirtTalk

Dirt Including Road Trailies (DIRT) Talk..... (tm)

Condor
16-01-2014, 04:58 PM

HA HA. Like

Phat3R
16-01-2014, 05:31 PM

I think TalkingDirty.com is taken? :)

Marshy
16-01-2014, 06:00 PM
I think TalkingDirty.com is taken? :)

And you'd know this because it's been your favourite site for the past five years...... ;)

Tristan
18-01-2014, 11:24 AM
In case any one is interested this is at Mototech Australia in Smithfield and the engine has been rebuilt. So it runs like new.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/18/dubemunu.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No_Style
19-01-2014, 10:18 AM
I've just bought a Husqvarna TE630 (I know, not a proper dirt bike), but mainly on the basis that I was chasing an 'adventure' bike that didn't totally suck offroad. The epically wide ratio 6 speed box and large oil capacity and long service intervals are its main draw cards, though it actually has quite good suspension as well. Downside is its a lard arse for a dirtbike (149kg), but coming from a DRZ400SM, its actually not much heavier so I figure I can live with that. I wanted to be able to do some longer rides to escape Sydney on the weekend without having to go through the process of loading up a trailer and tow car, plus the concept of camping and travelling light still has some appeal to me.

All that said, I do see a cheap little ultralight 2 banger in my future when time, money and space allows; just so I have all spectrums covered.

If your looking at the big bike end and want something more dirt worthy, the Husaberg FE570 is a weapon but the price is up there and the maintenance is fairly intensive (15hr oil changes). Would have loved one, but couldn't justify the extra expense over the Husky for the type of requirements I had.

Marty
19-01-2014, 11:21 AM
I've just bought a Husqvarna TE630 (I know, not a proper dirt bike), but mainly on the basis that I was chasing an 'adventure' bike that didn't totally suck offroad. The epically wide ratio 6 speed box and large oil capacity and long service intervals are its main draw cards, though it actually has quite good suspension as well. Downside is its a lard arse for a dirtbike (149kg), but coming from a DRZ400SM, its actually not much heavier so I figure I can live with that. I wanted to be able to do some longer rides to escape Sydney on the weekend without having to go through the process of loading up a trailer and tow car, plus the concept of camping and travelling light still has some appeal to me.

All that said, I do see a cheap little ultralight 2 banger in my future when time, money and space allows; just so I have all spectrums covered.

If your looking at the big bike end and want something more dirt worthy, the Husaberg FE570 is a weapon but the price is up there and the maintenance is fairly intensive (15hr oil changes). Would have loved one, but couldn't justify the extra expense over the Husky for the type of requirements I had.

Sounds like a wise choice. I got a mate with a KTM 690 he bought for the same reason, I'm yet to seem him ride it on the dirt though.

I've been toying with the idea of putting a larger tank on my 450 so I can attempt to leave the trailer at home. I live about 30 min ride from the hawksbury so if I can find some good stuff out there I can try and do a round trip with a stop at the carwash on the back home. Good way to get more hours up.

No_Style
19-01-2014, 08:45 PM
Yeah, the Safari Tanks are pretty good by all accounts. The Husky I've bought already has one, so that saved me a bit more money there. I reckon the 450 could do 1/2 hour freeway stretches if you keep it in 6th as much of the time as possible and keep up with the oil changes. If you can find a suitable aftermarket oil cooler though, I'd consider it as good insurance if your doing long stints at highway speeds though.

If anyone is keen I'm contemplating doing the APC Rally this year (runs in May), as it won't be running next year. Looks like an interesting sort of event.

James_
22-01-2014, 08:49 AM
HA HA. Like

Tristan
11-02-2014, 03:02 PM
Kpe3hwcg9i7 Fuck offffffff

Phat3R
11-02-2014, 05:03 PM
Kpe3hwcg9i7 Fuck offffffff

说普通话...