PDA

View Full Version : Bazzaz or PC5?

Nelso
07-01-2014, 06:56 PM
I recently found out the programming in my PC3 is corrupted, which means the map can't be changed. Since it's not the best map in it, my options are to send it up to some mob in Qld and get it reflashed so that it can be remapped, or replace it with a later model (which has other advantages.... apparently :noidea:). So my question is, if I replace it, what are the pros and cons of the PC5 and the Bazzaz and which one is the best to get?

I am also keen to get a quickshifter at some stage too if that effects anything.

chubb
07-01-2014, 07:43 PM
Bazzaz QS.

Fuel comptroller that controls both upper and lower injectors and a quick shifter.

PC5 will control lowers only until you add secondary module and quick shift module too.

The TC on bazzaz is nowhere being rate of change system.

Bazzaz you have to get everything at once whereas you can slowly add on with the dynojet stuff

The bazzaz qs is very very smooth and you can adjust kill times

That's my 2cents anyway

Nelso
07-01-2014, 08:06 PM
The TC on bazzaz is nowhere being rate of change system.

Cheers for that.

???? I got most of it, but didn't understand this line. What does TC stand for?

senator8
07-01-2014, 08:22 PM
TC = traction control

Rob, the argument about which system is as prolific as which tyres! I would speak with your tuner and ask which he prefers to use. There are no performance gains with either system regardless of the propaganda.
I personally would not use the quickshifter of either system. I would use stand alone, so you are not tied to the tuning module.

Nelso
07-01-2014, 08:32 PM
TC = traction control

Rob, the argument about which system is as prolific as which tyres! I would speak with your tuner and ask which he prefers to use. There are no performance gains with either system regardless of the propaganda.
I personally would not use the quickshifter of either system. I would use stand alone, so you are not tied to the tuning module.

I thought it might have been, but thought you would need wheel sensors etc. for it to work right, so assumed I was wrong. I was thinking of one of Marshy's quick shifters as they seem to work well, are easy to fit and are cheap. I didn't initially realise any of them came with a quickshifter built in to start with.

Mr.Ed
07-01-2014, 08:40 PM
I'll second what Chubb said. Big fan of the Bazzaz over the PCV and I had them both... the thing with the Bazzaz is that I reckon they've also changed their product line so you either get the fuel management unit or everything (TC/QS/Fuel mngt) so if you wanna do it in installments it just got harder. I understand the reasons why some would prefer the standalone quickshifters over the others but I honestly see no reason to have anything more than why I got, the thing is flawless every time and I rate the self mapping too.

chubb
07-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Bazzaz "TC" is a rate of change system

The bazzaz is programmed to monitor TPS and the rate that the revs rise for any given gear (1st - 6th make and model specific)

If any of them spike (ie spinning) it's meant to send a signal back to the bazzaz which then sends a signal to retard ignition.

Works in theory but real world practices are a different story.

I would say slip control rather than a true traction control.

senator8
07-01-2014, 08:53 PM
Yeah, the bazzaz is not true traction control. It detects a rev spike to work. Can work but takes a lot of set up as I understand form those who have raced with it. Current technology, even for the reasonably priced aftermarket systems is way ahead.

Stand alone QS like Marshy's can also be easily moved to another bike which may have another tuning system or none.

Marshy
08-01-2014, 06:26 AM
I thought it might have been, but thought you would need wheel sensors etc. for it to work right, so assumed I was wrong. I was thinking of one of Marshy's quick shifters as they seem to work well, are easy to fit and are cheap. I didn't initially realise any of them came with a quickshifter built in to start with.

I'll second what Chubb said. Big fan of the Bazzaz over the PCV and I had them both... the thing with the Bazzaz is that I reckon they've also changed their product line so you either get the fuel management unit or everything (TC/QS/Fuel mngt) so if you wanna do it in installments it just got harder. I understand the reasons why some would prefer the standalone quickshifters over the others but I honestly see no reason to have anything more than why I got, the thing is flawless every time and I rate the self mapping too.

The Bazzaz is a much more 'user friendly' unit, and you get all 8 injectors controlled out of the box. The PC is soooo exxy once you start adding options (the secondary injector module, the ignition module, the quickshifter module etc), and you can't get QS functionality without 2 extra modules!

With the Bazzaz, the base unit is the go. It's cheap, and the additional functions of the TC/QS units are rubbish. TC is just rpm spike detection, and is arguably more dangerous than not having TC at all, because it gives a false sense of security! Also the quickshifter functions on both the Bazzaz and the Power Commander are pretty ordinary, although the Bazzaz is clearly better as you don't need to buy a bunch of modules. The big issue with both units is that they use a mechanical switch (which is why they are either push or pull - they are simply a micro-switch that only works in one direction). Anything mechanical (and especially micro!) is prone to wear, and while they are fine when new, they wear out over time and you get missed shifts etc.

The Annitori/HM unit is a proper strain gauge, with no moving parts to wear out (that's why they have a lifetime warranty), and much better shifting action. I used to miss shifts all the time on the Blade with a worn Bazzaz QS, and the Annitori has been a revelation in comparison. Also, you can switch from road to race pattern (or vice versa) instantly, without buying a new switch, or even any setup changes.

Buying the Annitori is much cheaper than buying all the bits needed for the Power Commander to function as a quickshifter as well. We get sooo many customers that have only discovered this after they have paid all the money for the extra modules and then still simply can't get it to work... just ask Wade ;)

I haven't done a recent price check, but last time I looked, it was also cheaper to buy the base model (8 injector fuel control) Bazzaz unit and one of our quickshifters than it was to buy the Bazzaz QS unit, which is ridiculously more than the base model for just adding a QS function! The TC unit was in another world, pricewise, and I can't imagine why anyone would buy one.

Mr.Ed
08-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Not sure now but when I got my Bazzaz QS they were going for around $540-600 but that was a couple of years ago and the aussie dollar was a lot mightier then... I bought my unit second hand though and so far had zero issues with it other than destroying a quickshifter sensor on a lowside when the toegpeg got dug in and ripped/bent both the lever and the sensor. But that would happen to any QS out there I reckon... and I reckon I solved that by getting the Vortex rearsets with the folding toe pegs 'cause it never happened again. Got new sensor in now, Rhino says he loves it but I haven't tried it yet.

Marshy
08-01-2014, 04:42 PM
Yeah, that's still true in terms of price, Ed, or thereabouts. But the basic, non QS ones are ~US$250. So you're essentially paying the same for the Bazzaz QS as buying the non-QS Bazzaz plus an Annitori, but the Bazzaz QS is a significantly inferior product.