PDA

View Full Version : Race Bike Prep Clarification

Mouse
07-01-2014, 11:25 AM
Ok, so I've had a squiz at MoMS and I've slowly completed the following things in prep for my first race day:

-Lockwired:
Sump Plug
Radiator Cap
Oil filler cap
Dipstick
Front brake caliper bolts
-Bought back protector

To Do:
Stick number on
Shark fin
Radiator overflow catch bottle
Water in radiator

Anything else I'm missing, particularly for an R6? I only got in one ARDC track day and I didn't get a chance to ask someone more experienced off TT to have a look over it for me.

From what I can see, I would be best entering into 600cc Clubsport (2006 R6)? D Grade? I do roughly 2.18's on full circuit.

Thanks heaps!!

Mr.Ed
07-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Engine covers! And cross enter your bike since you can also run 600s. Then focus on the clubsport but use 600s as a great way to get 'cheap' experience... if you get too tired, you can always skip the 600 race.

chubb
07-01-2014, 11:39 AM
yes GB makes great and very durable engine covers and literally saved my bike.. ask me how I know!

Carrera Group sells them for the cheapest you can find in Australia..

Do you not have the stock radiator reservoir?

and use distilled or demineralised water! I went tap a couple of times and they already started corroding the pipes and your water pump won't like it (tap).

Mouse
07-01-2014, 11:41 AM
Engine covers! And cross enter your bike since you can also run 600s. Then focus on the clubsport but use 600s as a great way to get 'cheap' experience... if you get too tired, you can always skip the 600 race.

Shit, sorry, yep got all the GBRacing covers on. So is there a D grade? Everyone goes out at once? So you are saying Clubsport is more competitive? Thanks very much

chubb
07-01-2014, 11:41 AM
wouldn't go astray to get some tank protectors for the R6's as well especially for the 06/07 models

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nQy72y6lU8

chubb
07-01-2014, 11:43 AM
Shit, sorry, yep got all the GBRacing covers on. So is there a D grade? Everyone goes out at once? So you are saying Clubsport is more competitive? Thanks very much

clubsport are more relaxed.. there is a D grade and all ABCD graders go out at once

Mouse
07-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Do you not have the stock radiator reservoir?

Yeah I have the stock overflow, just thought I'd have to have something to catch fluid if that boils out the tube. Might be wrong, especially as I won't have slippery coolant!

Mr.Ed
07-01-2014, 11:45 AM

Firstly, yes! Listen to Marshy!!

Second, Clubsport can be a 'little' more friendly but even then it will depend on those around you and your own pace... I'd focus on it 'cause your bike has a better chance of being competitive there, that's all. Since it's your first race weekend I reckon you should just make sure to get a good start/first lap and then let it go from there. If you manage to do either one of those, please teach me!!! hahaha

Mouse
07-01-2014, 11:48 AM
Haha! I used to race karts and for your first race or two, you have to start at the back. Can you opt to do that even if you qualify near the front. Would D grade be appropriate considering my times?

Stu23
07-01-2014, 11:49 AM
relax relax relax :) your going to have a ball..... Do your own thing, ask loads and loads of questions, we all only too happy to give advice :)

Mr.Ed
07-01-2014, 12:01 PM
You'll start on D grade regardless... and yes, you can start at the back but why would you??

Marshy
07-01-2014, 12:04 PM
You need to lockwire your oil filter too, Mouse. If you are using a K&N, they have a hole to run lockwire through. If you are using OEM or other oil filters, the recommended way is to get a largeish hose clamp (plumbing section in Bunnings) which you tighten up around the filter, then lockwire the hose clamp to something solid. Can't remember the exact size, sorry, but it's something like 70mm?? At a pinch, you can join two clamps together, but it can be a bitch to fit both screw sections in. Better to get the right size.

Definitely cross-enter 600s and Clubsport! You get two of everything - practice session, quali, race starts (more is better, for practice), track time etc. Cheapest track time you can buy at $95 to literally double your track time! As Ed said, if you run out of energy, just skip the 600 race. Apart from a few fast boys at the front, you'll be racing against many of the same people in both classes. There's usually more of a time difference across the whole field in CS than in regular 600s, due to some guys running really old bikes and some having the latest legal models with fast engines (cough).

Shark fin is very important! Don't worry about an additional radiator overflow bottle (although i have one) - the stock one is fine. The overflow is actually supposed to go into the airbox, but it never gets checked.

Mouse
07-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Haha, cheers Stu!

So you think I've done all I need to do to the bike (other than what I've mentioned I need to do). Hate to rock up and need to have bought something else or do some mods last minute!!

Marshy
07-01-2014, 12:06 PM
relax relax relax :) your going to have a ball.....

Yeah, but you'll be shitting yourself in the 5 minutes before your first race start!!! It's hilarious to see! We all went through it, don't worry ;) As soon as you actually get on the bike and ride out of the pits, it all falls into place.

Mr.Ed
07-01-2014, 12:10 PM
We all went through it, don't worry ;)

What do you mean by 'through' it?? Does it ever end???

Mr.Ed
07-01-2014, 12:12 PM
Haha, cheers Stu!

So you think I've done all I need to do to the bike (other than what I've mentioned I need to do). Hate to rock up and need to have bought something else or do some mods last minute!!

Hope you got the tank sliders... or at least don't fill it all the way up! hahaha

Marshy
07-01-2014, 12:18 PM
IIRC, you started with the poop jokes!! :roll:

http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Shitting+yourself.+Rarely+acceptable_5ace0f_434659 7.jpg

dan
07-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Bastards!

Mouse
07-01-2014, 06:59 PM
You need to lockwire your oil filter too, Mouse. If you are using a K&N, they have a hole to run lockwire through. If you are using OEM or other oil filters, the recommended way is to get a largeish hose clamp (plumbing section in Bunnings) which you tighten up around the filter, then lockwire the hose clamp to something solid. Can't remember the exact size, sorry, but it's something like 70mm?? At a pinch, you can join two clamps together, but it can be a bitch to fit both screw sections in. Better to get the right size.

Definitely cross-enter 600s and Clubsport! You get two of everything - practice session, quali, race starts (more is better, for practice), track time etc. Cheapest track time you can buy at $95 to literally double your track time! As Ed said, if you run out of energy, just skip the 600 race. Apart from a few fast boys at the front, you'll be racing against many of the same people in both classes. There's usually more of a time difference across the whole field in CS than in regular 600s, due to some guys running really old bikes and some having the latest legal models with fast engines (cough).

Shark fin is very important! Don't worry about an additional radiator overflow bottle (although i have one) - the stock one is fine. The overflow is actually supposed to go into the airbox, but it never gets checked.

Awesome info Marshy (once again), got the lockwire sorted on the oil filter and I won't worry about the radiator over flow - over flow bottle.

So I think I might enter just on the Saturday in both classes to get a taste for it. How many 5 lap races will that total?

Mouse
07-01-2014, 07:01 PM
relax relax relax :) your going to have a ball..... Do your own thing, ask loads and loads of questions, we all only too happy to give advice :)

Thanks Stu! I'm sure there will be more on the day!!

Nelso
07-01-2014, 07:04 PM
Don't you also have to lockwire the rear brake caliper with modern bikes? I also have my banjo bolts lockwired, don't we have to do them too?

Any bolt on your engine that has oil behind it needs to be lockwired as well as far as I know.

Mouse
07-01-2014, 07:22 PM
Don't you also have to lockwire the rear brake caliper with modern bikes? I also have my banjo bolts lockwired, don't we have to do them too?

Any bolt on your engine that has oil behind it needs to be lockwired as well as far as I know.

Oh no

"Help me baby Jesus, help me Jewish god, help me Oprah Winfrey, help me Tom Cruise"!!

Help me Marshy!! Haha!

chubb
07-01-2014, 07:23 PM

Nope I didn't think it was needed with the rear brakes.

Don't have my banjo lock wired either. Just the caliper bolts.

chubb
07-01-2014, 07:24 PM
Awesome info Marshy (once again), got the lockwire sorted on the oil filter and I won't worry about the radiator over flow - over flow bottle.

So I think I might enter just on the Saturday in both classes to get a taste for it. How many 5 lap races will that total?

That'll be 6x5 lap races.
Why don't you do the Sunday as well?? GP circuit is so much fun!

Mouse
07-01-2014, 07:29 PM
That'll be 6x5 lap races.
Why don't you do the Sunday as well?? GP circuit is so much fun!

Nice! Might be too shagged to do 2 classes, both days. Never even done back to back track days!

Ahh yes, I was mistaken, thought it was the full circuit. Now that you've said that, Sunday is looking a whole lot better!!

Carl-52
07-01-2014, 07:48 PM
Oh no

"Help me baby Jesus, help me Jewish god, help me Oprah Winfrey, help me Tom Cruise"!!

Help me Marshy!! Haha!

"Help me jewish god, help me buddha, help me allah!!!" Best movie to quote, but hopefully the invisible flame doesn't get a hold of you!!!!!

Tristan
07-01-2014, 11:24 PM
Don't do 2 classes you will be buggered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

dan
08-01-2014, 12:03 AM
Nah, two classes is fine!

Mouse
08-01-2014, 06:40 AM
Don't do 2 classes you will be buggered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

I think 2 classes in 1 day will be ok. Is there much of a gap between classes if cross entering?

Marshy
08-01-2014, 07:10 AM
Nah, two classes is fine!

+1,000,000

Besides, you can always sit one out if you are too tired, but you can't do the reverse and head out for some extra racing once you've realised that you are bored between rounds and want to be back out there rubbing fairings!! It's relatively soooooooo cheap to cross enter that you'd be nuts not to do it, if even just for the extra practice session and extra quali session.

dan
08-01-2014, 09:58 AM
Two classes, two days. Just do it. I figure what's the point of doing all these track days if when it's time to race you don't take the opportunity to do as much as you can? You'll be tired at the end of the weekend but you'd be surprised how much lining up and waiting for those lights to go out get rid of any feeling of exhaustion. Racing is the best.

shippy__
08-01-2014, 07:28 PM
Im guessing 90% of the other riders are just as tired as each other

Phat3R
08-01-2014, 07:42 PM
Two classes, two days. Just do it. I figure what's the point of doing all these track days if when it's time to race you don't take the opportunity to do as much as you can? You'll be tired at the end of the weekend but you'd be surprised how much lining up and waiting for those lights to go out get rid of any feeling of exhaustion. Racing is the best.

Just thinking about those race starts gets me spinning ... fark ... :thumb:

Quick tip from a race virgin, me, is to have some paper tape or something to write grid positions on, then put the tape on your tank. [there may be other ways to do this ... this was my system] When I come around T12, take a look at the position and row and line it up as you come down to the grid. Row markers are on the side of the track, but I had to be just about on the position number to see it.

I wrote on a piece of paper tape with a marker, the four (or is it five) positions across the track, with the position number in the one that was mine. I put the row number next to it. No way I could remember it for the entire warm up lap ... :)

ie

R10 . P38
. . _ _ _ _
. . _

Dan & James used the Natsoft system to get the position. I went for a wander / stretch up to the building near pit entry after every race to get my next grid position.

Mouse
08-01-2014, 11:05 PM

You are right but when you don't live anywhere near Sydney, it becomes a bit pricey! Ohh until the lights go out I will be shaking like shite!

dan
09-01-2014, 12:13 AM
Just thinking about those race starts gets me spinning ... fark ... :thumb:

Quick tip from a race virgin, me, is to have some paper tape or something to write grid positions on, then put the tape on your tank. [there may be other ways to do this ... this was my system] When I come around T12, take a look at the position and row and line it up as you come down to the grid. Row markers are on the side of the track, but I had to be just about on the position number to see it.

I wrote on a piece of paper tape with a marker, the four (or is it five) positions across the track, with the position number in the one that was mine. I put the row number next to it. No way I could remember it for the entire warm up lap ... :)

ie

R10 . P38
. . _ _ _ _
. . _

Dan & James used the Natsoft system to get the position. I went for a wander / stretch up to the building near pit entry after every race to get my next grid position.

Yeah that was our ciggie time couldn't waste it checking out the prints up haha

dan
09-01-2014, 12:15 AM
You are right but when you don't live anywhere near Sydney, it becomes a bit pricey! Ohh until the lights go out I will be shaking like shite!

Fair point. It's the best feeling just make sure you pay attention - I missed my first start cause I was expecting a green light for some reason haha

mercho
09-01-2014, 09:18 AM
Fair point. It's the best feeling just make sure you pay attention - I missed my first start cause I was expecting a green light for some reason haha

That seems to be a very common thing, seen it a few times!! :rofl:

dan
09-01-2014, 09:44 AM
That seems to be a very common thing, seen it a few times!! :rofl:

Pretty silly. Not like I've never seen a race start before. Guess it's a bit different when you are the one with your hand on the throttle but still...

mercho
09-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Always good to watch the races before hand to see what the lights are doing, or for anyone new to racing...

Mouse
09-01-2014, 09:49 AM
I'll be that guy! Haha. How many practice starts do you get? Where on the track do you do them?

mercho
09-01-2014, 09:51 AM
I'll be that guy! Haha. How many practice starts do you get? Where on the track do you do them?

0 for st george

Mouse
09-01-2014, 09:52 AM
Ahh awesome!

Stu23
09-01-2014, 09:54 AM
time to practice those starts at the traffic light grand prix ;)

Mouse
09-01-2014, 09:56 AM
time to practice those starts at the traffic light grand prix ;)

That's a race I always win! Hahaha.

dan
09-01-2014, 12:47 PM
0 for st george

That's what makes the first one so much fun. I'd never tried a start on my race bike before

Phat3R
09-01-2014, 01:28 PM

LOL ... same same ...

shippy__
09-01-2014, 01:52 PM
I watched a bloke do some at a track day, as he was waved out the gate he would rev up the marshels didnt seem to mind

Marshy
09-01-2014, 01:55 PM

The fuckup more people make than waiting for a green is going when the red comes ON. Even Graham McCarthy did this at St George in Nov. You've just built the revs, and the anticipation is killing you, you're staring sooo hard at the start lights that your eyes are popping out of your head, then a LIGHT COMES ON!!!! Hell yeah, GOOOOO!!! No, wait!! Aaaah shit, jump start.

It's really, really hard not to flinch when the light comes on. I still do it.

Stu23
09-01-2014, 02:06 PM
One thing....... once your commited to a start DO NOT EVER look away from the lights...... happened once, wont happen again....... Also if you even think you have a bike prob on the grid, WAVE like crazy, nothing worse than stalling or not moving !! If it does happen, just get small, like tuck EVERYTHING in and pray !

Mr.Ed
09-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Here's an instructional video I made for you kids about something else you should be mindful during the start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MemChCWpAxI

mercho
09-01-2014, 02:19 PM
hahaha I was more worried about your Fuel Ed, although im guessing thats an ecu thing?

I reckon i tap the gear leaver about 20 times when im waiting to check its in 1st, must be the nerves!

Mr.Ed
09-01-2014, 02:33 PM
The fuel is actually an issue with the dash itself... as soon as you plug a new one in (tried that before) it's gone. Plenty of fuel there.

I learned my lesson on that one... I got there and remembered to turn the camera on, then forgot to keep revs up, then... well, you saw the video! hahaha

Marty
10-01-2014, 08:03 AM
With the starts I see some people dial the revs in sooo early. I have a crazy theory that regardless of the red light they won't start it till the marshal at the front has at least walked off the racetrack. I watch the marshal and as soon as he/she takes the last few steps off the track that's when I click it into gear and lock my eyes onto the lights. It's easy to maintain focus for a few secs, but I see guys holding the revs up on the friction point for like 10-15 secs sometimes, that's gotta be hard mentally and really hard on your clutch.

With the grid positions I also include the position from left, it's easy to have a brain fart at the last second so I write: R3/3 P11 - so row 3, lane 3, position 11. I treat the lanes as left to right for every track.

I've had two times when I'm guiding the bike up to the memorised row in to perfectly stop on my marker, looking down for P12 and it says P9, wtf, look to my right and see my number on the opposite end FARRRK!

On my first race at wakey I knew I was on the right most lane but I made the mistake of thinking that the rows were evenly spaced across the track so I was pulling up to my row (first eager guy out of the pit) and couldn't see any yellow grid markers at all, turns out they are all condensed on the left land side on the track. What a n00b!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

dan
10-01-2014, 09:30 AM
I need to adjust my rear brake as I found when I was on the revs, on the sweet point on the clutch, my bike was slipping a little. I never really bothered to fix the amount of play I had in the rear as I never used it. Now I'm racing, EVERYTHING changes haha

BoB
10-01-2014, 12:34 PM
I need to adjust my rear brake as I found when I was on the revs, on the sweet point on the clutch, my bike was slipping a little. I never really bothered to fix the amount of play I had in the rear as I never used it. Now I'm racing, EVERYTHING changes haha

Dan I'm happy to adjust the rear brake for you so its on slightly all the time . Anything to give me the edge to stay in front of you..:smile:

BoB
10-01-2014, 12:44 PM
If your doing 2 classes like I did for the 1st time at the last st george I was always checking the grid positions and making sure I had the right row and location. Next time I will be printing out something like this on an a4 piece of paper to make it easy to work out.not that its that hard to count in fours , just one less thing to tax the already worn out brain.

4 3 2 1 R1
8 7 6 5 R2
12 11 10 9 R3
16 15 14 13 R4
20 19 18 17 R5 and so on

motorbiker
10-01-2014, 02:46 PM
I must have done around 100 race starts over the last two years (Terry O'Niell's Race Your Mates at Wakefield gives you plenty of practice starts btw) but I still get a whole bunch of nerves/adrenalin reading this thread...

Like Marshy said, for me 100% of the time the nerves stop as soon as I head out on the warm up/sighting lap and it's all business like from there.

I did Ed's trick as well once down at Wakefield except I was on the first or second row, and I had no idea what had happened. I put my hand up and just had to think very... small :) Worked out ok thank god, hasn't happened since (touch wood).

I used to feather the clutch right on the friction point, now I come a few mm back from that - hasn't slowed down my starts, in fact I think my starts are better. Beats burning out clutch plates.

And it takes a few go's to find the right RPM to sit at for the start. My bike around 10k - 11k works well, but everyones bike/preference is different.

Marshy
10-01-2014, 05:05 PM
And it takes a few go's to find the right RPM to sit at for the start. My bike around 10k - 11k works well, but everyones bike/preference is different.

+1. Mine's around 9k. But it really does require some experimentation.

dan
10-01-2014, 09:41 PM
I've been doing mine somewhere around 10. Haven't done it enough to try other ideas was happy just to get off the line!

Marty
13-01-2014, 08:18 AM
It's funny, there's always someone who just dumps the clutch and aims for the moon

Marshy
13-01-2014, 10:15 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I always engage 1st gear as I'm still rolling towards my grid spot, and then double-check it after I've stopped by easing out the clutch slightly. I know a lot of guys sit there in neutral, shaking their arms, sitting up etc, but I reckon it's just one less thing to worry about. Sometimes gearboxes can be a bit temperamental too, and what happens if it won't engage 1st as the starter is walking off the grid?? But mostly it's so I don't forget in all the excitement/stress/adrenaline.

Marty
13-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Sometimes gearboxes can be a bit temperamental too, and what happens if it won't engage 1st as the starter is walking off the grid??
Maybe on a Yamaha :p