PDA

View Full Version : Tyre wall crack

Condor
04-01-2014, 06:08 PM
After changing tyres today, the one I replaced ( pirelli sc2 ) , the tyre wall on both sides has cracked up pretty bad??
Just wondering if its a throw away now as its still got plenty of tread left. Also what would cause this to happen??

senator8
04-01-2014, 06:31 PM
That's crazy! How old are they? Did they looking that before fitting?
There's no way I would ride on those personally.
Mate, was that you I saw have a tumble today?

Condor
04-01-2014, 06:45 PM
Yeah mate sure was, First one ever! was tipping in a little to hard and she just went from under me. It was a pretty smooth transition from bike to road thankfully, and pretty much nothing wrong with the bike, few scratches thats about it.

The tyre was bought new from bike biz only a few month back??? The fella changing the tyres looked like an apprentice, you reckon that might have something to do with it??

senator8
04-01-2014, 07:06 PM
Glad you and the bike are ok.
Someone with more knowledge than me will know more about the Tyres I'm sure.

Mstevo
04-01-2014, 08:21 PM
whats the date on the tyre? and what pressures are you running?

shippy__
04-01-2014, 08:53 PM
http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/motorcycle/genericPage/all_about_tyres

use the above link to help find the date of manufacture...... option 4 on the tyre

Marshy
04-01-2014, 09:21 PM
It's nothing too serious. I've had worse cracked sidewalls (on US dunlops), including a crack that ran pretty much all the way around the tyre. The rubber covering the sidewall belts isn't that thick, and under the right combo of heat/cool storage, plus the big stress stretching it on or off a rim, it can just split. The strength is in the underlying belts and layers, not in the thin outer rubber.

If you felt so inclined, you could take it back to Bikebiz and 'warranty' it..... You'd probably get a replacement tyre from them.

Condor
05-01-2014, 10:22 AM
whats the date on the tyre? and what pressures are you running?

Tyre date shows 4408 witch i have only just learnt how to read as the date. Should they have sold me one so old??

Was running 26 psi on hot

Condor
05-01-2014, 10:26 AM
It's nothing too serious. I've had worse cracked sidewalls (on US dunlops), including a crack that ran pretty much all the way around the tyre. The rubber covering the sidewall belts isn't that thick, and under the right combo of heat/cool storage, plus the big stress stretching it on or off a rim, it can just split. The strength is in the underlying belts and layers, not in the thin outer rubber.

If you felt so inclined, you could take it back to Bikebiz and 'warranty' it..... You'd probably get a replacement tyre from them.

Ok cool, I might ring them and see what they can do.

phillmac
05-01-2014, 10:58 AM
Not unless you bought it 4-5 years back.
Tyre date shows 4408 witch i have only just learnt how to read as the date. Should they have sold me one so old??

Was running 26 psi on hot

Marshy
05-01-2014, 12:26 PM
Not unless you bought it 4-5 years back.

+1. Motorcycle tyres should NOT be sold new when they are that old. Return for a replacement!

shippy__
05-01-2014, 07:53 PM
pull out the old " I have spoken to fair trading and they have advised me to approach you in regards to replacing the tyre"