PDA

View Full Version : Top Rider coaching and setup day 12th Jan

chubb
04-01-2014, 01:41 PM
Anyone going??

Anyone with previous experience can comment on their experience and how the day is run etc?

I booked in green cuz I suffer on the south circuit and didn't want to slow anyone up

Mstevo
04-01-2014, 02:25 PM
I didn't get much out of the day I did, (Gilesy wasn't much of a communicator) but then again I was expecting something much different.
and don't remember it being $279 :-(
Although having said that it's a chance to ride "left handed" before the St George 1st round :-)

Talking to a mate(Somelad) up here(Canberra) who participated in a one of last years days, he won a set of leathers for having the most continuous consistent laps(not the fastest)...maybe you should have talk to him

EDIT BTW I have the footage of you at WP on a USB stick

Medic!
04-01-2014, 02:34 PM
I thought it was ok. Nothing like a proper race school. I had Bernie as my instructor and his manor can get on your nerves a bit. He tends to do put downs more than encouragement. You'll get more out of it by asking questions and actively seeking advice rather than waiting for them to tell you. Garage is crowded if booked out so get in there early to get a spot or take a looong card for warmers. Take a memory stick to download your pics after each session rather than trying to do it at days end. The put them online but lower res and not available straight away.
Plenty of track time and advice from experience instructors if you need it to sum it up. I may end up going depending on $$$. I like the south it gives you a good workout like Oran park used to.
Moz and Neo have done this as well

chubb
04-01-2014, 04:07 PM
Cheers for the tips!

Marty
04-01-2014, 05:40 PM
Yep I'm booked in. Booked into red because that's what I do at EC, it will be a workout but I guess they can move people around if I'm too shit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Medic!
04-01-2014, 05:53 PM
They give you transponders and print out the times after each session so they will move you based on your times if needed. I booked green when I did it but when I went to sign in they'd moved me to red. Watch out for motards in your early sessions they kill it on the south......

CLIFFY
04-01-2014, 06:11 PM
In
If your expecting schooling, then you'll be disappointed
If your expecting to get a solid run at the south circuit with lap times, photos and someone to bounce questions off, then you'll be happy

Mstevo
04-01-2014, 07:15 PM
In
If your expecting schooling, then you'll be disappointed
If your expecting to get a solid run at the south circuit with lap times, photos and someone to bounce questions off, then you'll be happy

yep the name is a tad misleading

chubb
04-01-2014, 07:45 PM
Yeah my idea is to improve on the south circuit and fine tune my body positioning.

Especially with my foot!

Mazabuzz
04-01-2014, 08:23 PM
I'll be working a full day there

Saturnalian
05-01-2014, 11:25 AM
I think i'll be there.....

Negrogrande
05-01-2014, 06:45 PM
I was booked, but had to cancel...

I really got a lot out of the days but I bust the instructors balls with questions the whole day (I had Bryan Staring for my first and Gilesy the last time).

the photos are a bonus, as is the 12 laps+ a session

Medic!
10-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Booked today. I had hoped to break my race cherry at st george but as my bike is limited to one class I cant justify the $$$ per track time just now. I missed a few track days thinking I could be ready to race but going thru withdrawals so booked in late today. Last spot in red.

Saturnalian
10-01-2014, 11:31 PM
I'm out for this one. Won't be ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Marty
13-01-2014, 07:15 AM
Was a pretty good day. My coach was Ant West! He doesn't say a lot though. There was a kid on a moto3 bike going really well and westy took it for a ride during the day (in his moto2 leathers!)

Other coaches were Glen Scott and Alex Cuddlin.

I'm happy, I learnt a couple of useful things and got to have a crack at south circuit. Damn it's hard work that track but perfect for actual training I guess.

I regret not talking to the suspension bloke though.

Marty

chubb
13-01-2014, 08:12 AM
Ant West actually talked quite a lot..

He helped improve the way I sit on the bike, foot position, body position coming into a corner and coming out of a corner.

Decreased the hatred I have for the new section and still have plenty of room to improve on the new section particularly coming down the hill for the tight left hander hairpin.

The new bit that links on to the old Turn 5 I still yet have to get it right.

First time at south circuit and I got a 1.03.2

Cliffy was flying out there too quick so was Lawson and Westy on his bike.. Met up with a couple of people like slowbro and Medic!

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd451/chubb35/1520814_514419985339994_432060183_n.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/chubb35/media/1520814_514419985339994_432060183_n.jpg.html)

Marty
13-01-2014, 08:20 AM

He helped improve the way I sit on the bike, foot position, body position coming into a corner and coming out of a corner.

Decreased the hatred I have for the new section and still have plenty of room to improve on the new section particularly coming down the hill for the tight left hander hairpin.

Cliffy was flying out there too quick so was Lawson and Westy on his bike.. Met up with a couple of people like slowbro and Medic!

http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd451/chubb35/1520814_514419985339994_432060183_n.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/chubb35/media/1520814_514419985339994_432060183_n.jpg.html)

Ahh I know who you are now. Man I got no feedback from any of the coaches whatsoever but a lot of the stuff I heard them telling others is generalized and I could relate it straight back to myself. My best was 1.05.8 on really old tyres. I really regret no changing my front sprocket for this day.

chubb
13-01-2014, 08:34 AM
You got to hound them I suppose.

I mean I've done a couple of Hatto's school so I do know a couple of the people there.

I'm one of those who needs schooling else I get nowhere.

CLIFFY
13-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Thanks to the mortard guys for giving way.
Usually the motards are like flies all over the track trying to block the pass.

Medic!
13-01-2014, 10:47 AM
I had a good day. Getting more comfortable with the bike on each outing. Still much to improve but managed to knock 5 secs off my last time at the south. Westy was good seems a little shy if anything but once you got him talking he gave good advice. He asked me if I could feel the bike moving in the corners as he could see it coming thru the chicane onto pit straight. I could but it wasn't bothering me too much. He said it looked scarey lol. So talked with Frank the suspension guy and progressively made adjustments throughout the day based on his advise. I actually was hoping he'd do it for melol cause I have no idea.. It felt much better turning in but still some adjusting to do. Was hovering around the same times as Chubb most of the day but he was a couple of tenths quicker.
Bernie chucked on an extra session for about 10 of us at the end of the day. I was exremely tired but couldn't knock it back and was glad I didnt.
In session 6 and the extra session I managed to get into the 1.02s with a best of 102.6 so was pretty pleased.

Medic!
13-01-2014, 10:53 AM
I have some videos too from my $48 go pro imitation from Big W. Only does 720 HD 30fps or vga at 60 fps with 120deg view angle but what a bargain. . Will post up later. Maybe save those go pro dollars for something more worthwhile

Marty
13-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Damn 102s that's fast. I was hoping for a 4 yesterday (first time on south), but didn't happen. I wouldn't mind doing it again just to have another go at the south circuit.

I was worried about getting hammered by the motards booking into red but I didn't see them passing any "sportsbikes".

senator8
13-01-2014, 01:18 PM
Just had a look at the times. You guys were going quick yesterday. Well done!

Marty
13-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Do you guys change your suspension setup for this track? My bike feels ok on GP and north circuit but it feels like it needs to be a bit looser

chubb
13-01-2014, 05:29 PM
Each person will have their suspension set up differently.

I like mine real soft. Stu will vouch for that hey stu.

All depends on what makes you feel comfortable.

Medic!
13-01-2014, 05:36 PM
I did make adjustments but not so much for this track as the general feel of the bike. Was my 4th track day on this bike after a 3-4 year break of no riding so up until yesterday I wasn't sure if it was me or the bike that needed adjusting. I'll be leaving it as is for the full circuit for now at least as I was having problems with turn in and feel in the front on the full circuit which feels better now after yesterday's tweaking. I was happy with the back and Frank said it seemed ok but I softened the front preload and increased rebound. I'm hoping it sorts put the nervous feeling on turn one. I also followed advice and increased tyre pressures so for my experience too many changes in a short period to be able to tell what the major improvement came from.

Marty
13-01-2014, 05:36 PM
Each person will have their suspension set up differently.

I like mine real soft. Stu will vouch for that hey stu.

All depends on what makes you feel comfortable.

I mean will you run it softer for a tight track and harder (relatively) for a fast open track, or just run it the same everywhere?

dan
13-01-2014, 05:43 PM
I mean will you run it softer for a tight track and harder (relatively) for a fast open track, or just run it the same everywhere?

I thought about changing my pre-load once...

Marty
13-01-2014, 05:46 PM
I did make adjustments but not so much for this track as the general feel of the bike. Was my 4th track day on this bike after a 3-4 year break of no riding so up until yesterday I wasn't sure if it was me or the bike that needed adjusting. I'll be leaving it as is for the full circuit for now at least as I was having problems with turn in and feel in the front on the full circuit which feels better now after yesterday's tweaking. I was happy with the back and Frank said it seemed ok but I softened the front preload and increased rebound. I'm hoping it sorts put the nervous feeling on turn one. I also followed advice and increased tyre pressures so for my experience too many changes in a short period to be able to tell what the major improvement came from.

Yeh that's the problem when you change a bunch of things at once. I'm trying to limit what I change (and roll back changes that showed no improvement) because you can end up going in circles.

I too put my pressures up yesterday and got good improvement but I think I should've gone higher again, especially in the front (that could explain some of the sluggy feeling I was getting)

Now that I got a benchmark for south circuit I can sit back and reflect on it, I definitely need shorter gearing for that layout but I'm still pondering if I should soften it up

chubb
13-01-2014, 05:51 PM

What do you want the bike to do?

Is it running wide? Feeling wooden?

I make adjustments based on what the bike is doing or not doing.

Setups for different tracks are normally a couple of clicks either way from my base setting.

For example Broadford I up compression because of the braking after the long straights and using the hill as well I don't want the front end to dive through the downstroke.

All depends on what you want the bike to do.

chubb
13-01-2014, 05:58 PM
Yeh that's the problem when you change a bunch of things at once. I'm trying to limit what I change (and roll back changes that showed no improvement) because you can end up going in circles.

I too put my pressures up yesterday and got good improvement but I think I should've gone higher again, especially in the front (that could explain some of the sluggy feeling I was getting)

Now that I got a benchmark for south circuit I can sit back and reflect on it, I definitely need shorter gearing for that layout but I'm still pondering if I should soften it up

I was using -1 in the front as that's what I run for the GP circuit

Medic!
13-01-2014, 06:00 PM
I thought about changing my pre-load once...

Lol you'll have to adjust things now with your new oily oil in your forks.

dan
13-01-2014, 06:43 PM
Lol you'll have to adjust things now with your new oily oil in your forks.

I know, scary thought! At least the adjustments will do something now haha

Slow bro
13-01-2014, 07:51 PM

I was following you the last session & your bike looked stable & you looked comfortable on it. Definitely better last session with not many on the track.

senator8
13-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Did you miss me Noel? Or were you too busy with your other girlfriends? - whore.

Geez, with times you guys were doing I'm going to have to dig deep next pcra round there.

Slow bro
13-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Did you miss me Noel? Or were you too busy with your other girlfriends? - whore.

Geez, with times you guys were doing I'm going to have to dig deep next pcra round there.

It was too hot for you sook wouldn't have lasted til 10am. Ha ah. Still had a really good day.

senator8
13-01-2014, 08:36 PM

looking good Rancell.

It was too hot for you sook wouldn't have lasted til 10am. Ha ah. Still had a really good day.

You're right. I struggled, lying on the lounge.
Was lucky I didn't go Sunday. I dropped the oil on the bike and it was a milkshake!

CLIFFY
13-01-2014, 08:51 PM
Was lucky I didn't go Sunday. I dropped the oil on the bike and it was a milkshake!

Got it rectified yet?

chubb
13-01-2014, 08:56 PM
looking good Rancell.

Maybe I got a half decent chance of keeping with the nazi

You're right. I struggled, lying on the lounge.

Did you find the root of the issue?

senator8
13-01-2014, 08:58 PM
Got it rectified yet?

I'm hoping. Replaced the pump and so far seems ok. I dropped the oil 3 times today, but it's still a bit of a mess. I'll put fresh oil in tomorrow and if looks ok I'll leave it at that and change it Saturday arvo at st George. Assuming I'm there. No baby yet!
You ran good champ. The gauntlets down ;)

senator8
13-01-2014, 09:05 PM
Maybe I got a half decent chance of keeping with the nazi

Did you find the root of the issue?

Maybe you have ;)
It's a bit of a handful on the south ct. It's more fun on the Suzuki.
You running harder down the hill? I remember you being a bit tentative there.

CLIFFY
13-01-2014, 09:10 PM
No baby yet!
Don't wait for contractions, start the pushing now!!!!

senator8
13-01-2014, 09:18 PM
Don't wait for contractions, start the pushing now!!!!

Haha, I'll have to pick my moment to give those instructions. Bit of tension around here at the moment. She's over it now and I'm over her being over it.

CLIFFY
13-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Haha, I'll have to pick my moment to give those instructions. Bit of tension around here at the moment. She's over it now and I'm over her being over it.

I know your pain....

Little Mick
14-01-2014, 06:01 AM
Sounds like an impresseive day out for everyone out there with the times you all did!! Well done...

Milkshakes dont sound promising Rick... fingers crossed for you on that one.... And look after that woman of yours, she will have a big influenceon your ability to go racing ;)

senator8
14-01-2014, 08:46 AM
Thanks Mick. Still working on it. Been getting a hand form the brains trust collective on FB. Shame you're not there anymore. What about an account just for motorcycling, keep the personal stuff out? Of course I look after her - right after she wife's me some breakfast ;) :hug:

Marty
14-01-2014, 11:02 AM
Speaking of hot, I didn't follow the advice of getting there early and ended up having to set up out in the searing heat with no shade and nowhere to sit, people standing on my warmers and tripping over my shit all day it was fucked, drained so much energy and got sunburnt, couldn't wait to pack up! Next time I'll be there as soon as the gates open to get a spot in the garage.

Mstevo
14-01-2014, 03:25 PM
Speaking of hot, I didn't follow the advice of getting there early and ended up having to set up out in the searing heat with no shade and nowhere to sit, people standing on my warmers and tripping over my shit all day it was fucked, drained so much energy and got sunburnt, couldn't wait to pack up! Next time I'll be there as soon as the gates open to get a spot in the garage.
The day I did it we had 15 bikes in a bay 3 wide x 5 long...bikes stands and tyre warms only everything else, in the back of your car in the carpark :-(
That part was annoying and the 2 minutes to get off your bike out of your gear, put your warmers back on to be ready for your coaches chat

Marty
14-01-2014, 03:55 PM
The day I did it we had 15 bikes in a bay 3 wide x 5 long...bikes stands and tyre warms only everything else, in the back of your car in the carpark :-(
That part was annoying and the 2 minutes to get off your bike out of your gear, put your warmers back on to be ready for your coaches chat

Yeh that would suck! I forgot to mention also all the peoples mates/wife's had parked their flash cars in all the spots in the pits so I had to park my ute in the grass spectator parking and haul all my shit back and fourth all day aswell, at least they didn't have to walk far or get dirt on their tyres

Phat3R
14-01-2014, 05:57 PM
Yeh that would suck! I forgot to mention also all the peoples mates/wife's had parked their flash cars in all the spots in the pits so I had to park my ute in the grass spectator parking and haul all my shit back and fourth all day aswell, at least they didn't have to walk far or get dirt on their tyres

Oh that's just bloody marvelous, just another reason I hate Sth Circuit ... SFA pit facilities or parking. Same same when CSS does theirs there ... not interested.

phillmac
14-01-2014, 09:30 PM
When they 1st started they talked of only about 7-8 bikes on track. No room in that shed for 50-60 blokes and bikes, and in this weather. Track has the same problem IMO, others seem to like it though.