PDA

View Full Version : Pirelli Lap Timer App - how to make it work properly

Spilly209
02-01-2014, 06:55 PM
Hey guys,

So I used the Pirelli lap timer App on my iPhone at the track a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine the first session but then kept saying "not enough GPS data to analyse" every session after that which was a little frustrating to say the least!

Seems to be a common problem but after experimenting today which included doing numerous timed laps walking around Marshy's backyard, I think we got it sorted! So when you start the lap timer you need to keep the app on screen, ie, you cant lock your phone or put the app in the background. This is obviously prone to problems like touching the screen accidentally or the phone auto-locking after 5 minutes etc. But in your iPhone if you go into Settings > General > Background App Refresh and make sure this is ON, it will work fine in the background and / or with the phone locked.

Note that this setting chews up your battery life so once your done with the lap timer best to turn the Background App Refresh back to OFF.

Well I'm pumped I can time more than one flying lap on this coming weekend! I'm going to get a proper lap timer as well to help with racing / qualifying but this app is great for what it is for use on track days etc. The amount of info it gives like lean angles, top speed, lap comparisons etc is really impressive for a free App!

The major upside to all this is that Owen (sorry don't know his screen name) is going to be thrilled he can keep putting my iPhone into my sweaty suit hump - he loooooooves it!!

Look forward to seeing whoever's going to the track on the weekend, I'll be there both days plus Jan 25 and 27.

Cheers,
Steve

CLIFFY
02-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Can't trust a lot of the info on track, maybe due to the concrete upper floors and grandstand???
I only bother to use it on my enduro track as it is far more accurate in the bush for lap times and position on track.

Phat3R
02-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Good you got it sorted Steve ...

Spilly209
02-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Mate the times it works it does seem to be remarkably accurate. Just had a lot of people - inc me - have issues with it not working at all for some sessions.

chubb
02-01-2014, 09:01 PM
I don't think the lean angle in the Pirelli app will be all that accurate??

Spilly209
02-01-2014, 09:05 PM
I don't think the lean angle in the Pirelli app will be all that accurate??

I'm not sure how its worked out, obviously something to do with the location of the phone. Mine was in my hump and it said my max lean angle was 55.9 deg. So not a crazy number and good for personal comparison purposes if nothing else provided you keep the phone in the same location, the same way up etc.

senator8
02-01-2014, 10:34 PM
Yeah, I don't know. I used it on my way to work one day and it said I was getting down to 45deg, and that was in the car!

Spilly209
03-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Yeah, I don't know. I used it on my way to work one day and it said I was getting down to 45deg, and that was in the car!

Were you driving Mr Bean's 3 wheel car??? ;)

senator8
03-01-2014, 05:48 AM
Were you driving Mr Bean's 3 wheel car??? ;)

Noooo, silly. Ducati don't make cars ;)
If you haven't found a real GPS timer yet, I might have one.

Spilly209
03-01-2014, 09:17 AM
Noooo, silly. Ducati don't make cars ;)
If you haven't found a real GPS timer yet, I might have one.

Lol! What you got mate?

senator8
03-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Qstarz 6000. Works great and gives some additional info from built in g meters. But aside from having several timers my new dashs have built in GPS.
Used a handful of times $300 plus postage

Here is example of some of the data.
Ignore my shit riding. I didn't need data to tell me that.

http://youtu.be/Tqe2MSK7DsY

Spilly209
03-01-2014, 10:58 AM
SOLD MATE! I'll grab it off you on Sat if that's ok

senator8
03-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Done. Now to find the box etc!

Turbo
03-01-2014, 01:56 PM
The major upside to all this is that Owen (sorry don't know his screen name) is going to be thrilled he can keep putting my iPhone into my sweaty suit hump - he loooooooves it!!

NICE! I was hoping I'd get to shove my hand down your sweaty leathers again... :painkiller:

shippy__
03-01-2014, 04:42 PM
been fidling with this today.... pulled out my old smashed iphone 4 and it looks like I don't even need a sim card for it to work

Saturnalian
03-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Qstarz 6000. Works great and gives some additional info from built in g meters. But aside from having several timers my new dashs have built in GPS.
Used a handful of times $300 plus postage

Here is example of some of the data.
Ignore my shit riding. I didn't need data to tell me that.

http://youtu.be/Tqe2MSK7DsY

Why is that shit awesome Laptimer already running Rick. you haven't even crossed the start line yet ?

Or is that how long its been since your last coffee .....??

senator8
03-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Why is that shit awesome Laptimer already running Rick. you haven't even crossed the start line yet ?

Or is that how long its been since your last coffee .....??

I hit start on the dummy grid, right after I took my last sip. I mainly use them for qualifying and practice. Not very often for racing, and I'm not as tech savvy as you Yoda.

chubb
03-01-2014, 07:07 PM
You shouldn't be looking at your times whilst racing!

Saturnalian
03-01-2014, 07:13 PM
How else am I suppose to learn how to crash on T1 Rancell ? I love watching telly on the straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

Tristan
03-01-2014, 07:39 PM
Ask nick I'm sure he can give you some pointers.

Saturnalian
03-01-2014, 07:40 PM
Oh, I've been there Tristan

Tristan
03-01-2014, 07:41 PM
Oh :( I have just been exploring there. TWICE lol

chubb
03-01-2014, 08:13 PM
I take detours sometimes

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Marshy
03-01-2014, 11:29 PM
I take detours sometimes

Looking for shortcuts, maybe? ;)

Marty
06-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Does the Pirelli app work with a external GPS. I used to use an app called Harry's Lap Timer and run a 10hz Bluetooth GPS, works really well but it's a pain in the ass with locking the screen on the phone like spilly said.

chubb
06-01-2014, 05:49 PM
Race chrono is a better app than pirelli I found

But I dont really use my phone at all... I dont go fast enough

Spilly209
07-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Does the Pirelli app work with a external GPS. I used to use an app called Harry's Lap Timer and run a 10hz Bluetooth GPS, works really well but it's a pain in the ass with locking the screen on the phone like spilly said.

I don't think the issue is whether the Pirelli app works with an external GPS but whether your phone / pda does. I know iPhones don't work with the Qstartz GPS receivers unless they've been "jailbroken". But unless I'm mistaken if you can load the Pirelli app on your device and use a compatible GPS receiver you should be good to go. But I haven't had a single issue with the Pirelli lap timer since applying the fix. Well except that it says I've done 63.9deg lean angles and my name aint Marquez lol!!

Spilly209
07-01-2014, 08:59 AM
Race chrono is a better app than pirelli I found

But I dont really use my phone at all... I dont go fast enough

I looked for that but wasn't sure which one it was on the App store. Do you know if it works on iPhone? And what is better about it?

chubb
07-01-2014, 09:03 AM
I used race chrono when I had an android phone.

It syncs with an external gps like qstars (10Hz) and you get accurate reading and times lap after lap.

I don't use that anymore since I moved to the iPhone (they don't support syncing with external GPS) and I got the laptimer inbuilt to my dash now

Spilly209
07-01-2014, 09:30 AM
I used race chrono when I had an android phone.

It syncs with an external gps like qstars (10Hz) and you get accurate reading and times lap after lap.

I don't use that anymore since I moved to the iPhone (they don't support syncing with external GPS) and I got the laptimer inbuilt to my dash now

Ah, ok. Yea seems to be a lot on angst over iPhone not supporting external gps receivers. I wasn't too keen on jail breaking my phone...

senator8
07-01-2014, 09:35 AM
Steve, Garmin Glo one the best 10hz receivers available (pilots use them) works with iphone.

Mr.Ed
07-01-2014, 10:15 AM
AFAIK, no racechrono for iPhones either...

Spilly209
07-01-2014, 10:26 AM
Steve, Garmin Glo one the best 10hz receivers available (pilots use them) works with iphone.

Thanks mate, that's pretty good for $100! Do you know if it would boost reception when using iPhone in car as GPS? Coincidentally I was about to buy a Garmin GPS because my iPhone isn't good in built up areas so if it boosts garmin GPS device signals as well that would be a bonus too.

Marty
07-01-2014, 12:20 PM
iPhone definitely supports external GPS but it's up to the software to look for it and use it in place of the built in 1hz peice of crap.

Spilly209
07-01-2014, 03:32 PM
iPhone definitely supports external GPS but it's up to the software to look for it and use it in place of the built in 1hz peice of crap.

So how come the Qstatz one doesn't work with the iPhone (just out of curiosity). Is it because the Qstarz s/w isn't compatible? Also why does jail breaking fix the prob?