PDA

View Full Version : Xmas present

Marshy
27-12-2013, 04:30 PM
The best thing about being old, with a wife and two or three kids, is that I now get to buy myself my own presents!! Picked it up this morning. Merry xmas to me:

http://tarmactalk.com/images/YEC-R6.jpg

senator8
27-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Nice one :)

Phat3R
27-12-2013, 04:39 PM
Surprise!!! It's an R6 ... :)

Two OR three kids ... Nick are you trading them for bikes again? :)

Phat3R
27-12-2013, 04:46 PM
It's black ... I thort you hate black on bike ???

chubb
27-12-2013, 05:20 PM
What's in store for this bad boy??

What year is it?

CLIFFY
27-12-2013, 05:30 PM
136+/-hp.....

Mr.Ed
27-12-2013, 06:06 PM
Give us the dets... how does it make that much power?!

Stu23
27-12-2013, 06:08 PM
Full 08 Yamaha Factory's Supersport R6 making 135bhp , modded crank, SS motor, factory cams, YEC everything, Ohlins full front and rear :) a very nice bike... Did Mark achieve his asking price ??

Mr.Ed
27-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Fark... I may be getting a case post boxing day/Xmas jealousy! ;)

Then again...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_mHPn7v7bOAQ/S6vDzf-vC4I/AAAAAAAAAAc/KEFG-BXkU_U/s1600/jealousy-jealousy-boobs-swanky-demotivational-poster-1231126123.jpg

chubb
27-12-2013, 06:49 PM
Holy cow!!!

Those playing in CS and 600s have to chance now. It's like a bloody. 750

motorbiker
27-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Not fair! :cry:

Congrats Marshy, VERY nice bike...

Marshy
27-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Wow, nothing stays secret any more!! :twitch:

I haven't told anyone any specs, and in fact what Stu has said there is a bit more than I was told it's got. But hey, never ruin a good story with the truth! ;) Also, Mark was a bit vague about what's in it, but it's got tuning numbers engraved all over it, so apparently Yamaha can still tell you what's in it.

AFAIK, it's got YEC cams, valves and springs, and a thinner head gasket. And the YEC ECU and loom. Ful Ti Akra. But it's missing a few bits too - there's no quickshifter (well, the horn button is a manual push-button jobbie), and there's only the OEM master cylinder. The forks have GP Suspension 25mm carts, not Ohlins (although almost everyone reckon the GP are better than the equivalent 25mm Ohlins), but there's a good old-school pre-TTX Ohlins in the rear, I know that will actually work.

It is ex-Yamaha factory supersport, so it's been built properly. And Mark has made it look very nice too. It's an 08, so yes, it's eligible for clubsport :rockon:

And Rick B, you're absolutely right in that I hate black bikes, so it will look totally different when it hits the track in a month. Hell, it's mostly stripped already!

I didn't pay what Mark was asking, but it was still very expensive for an 08. If it hadn't been maintained by someone as handy and fastidious as Mark, I wouldn't have bought it. But I've always wanted one with all the goodies....

I've actually got some Graves & YEC goodies sitting here that I was going to put into my racebike at some point, to go with the ECU and harness on there already (eg Graves slotted cam wheels, YEC thinnner head gasket etc), but that might now be a project for someone else to do.

Speaking of which, is anyone interested in the championship-winning bike from this year?? I need the money!

Marshy
27-12-2013, 07:46 PM
Two OR three kids ... Nick are you trading them for bikes again? :)

Nah, I'm just not that interested in them and I lose track..... However I can tell you exactly how many bikes in the workshop at any given moment :rofl: :pound:

chubb
27-12-2013, 08:00 PM
What YEC goodies do you have?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Stu23
27-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Carl and I went over that bike for 3 days :) when Carl was working at EC and it was for sale and on display :) We talked to Mark as he was selling 2 R6's out of his 4 that he owned ( now got a brand new ZX10 ) Its a great bike with good history, If I had the money and the inclination I would have snapped it up there and then, im sure you will love it Nick, its a beast !! Cant wait to see it on track :) if only for a little bit

Baddie
27-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Cant wait to see your face after first ride.

Congrats....Lets hope the calendar lets you run its in Fx Oz class.

Baddie
27-12-2013, 11:23 PM
What YEC goodies do you have?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Mate I wouldn't be worrying about any YEC goodies yet...As I hope you did notice the backfiring/ missing your machine was doing specially though T10,11 and 12.

As some of the less experienced flaggies mentioned "popping a lot off the gas" compared to other R6 out there at the time.

But I did like you $1000+ dash.:love:

chubb
28-12-2013, 07:23 AM
Yeah it needs to go on a dyno.

The autotune isn't working at its best or it needs to keep working at it.

Or it has to do with ignition timing and not fuel.

Either way needs to go to a tuner I reckon.

Marshy
28-12-2013, 07:28 AM
Can't wait to ride it! YEC velocity stacks too, apparently.

Chubb, sounds like you've got a fuelling issue. Have you had it dynoed and tuned?

chubb
28-12-2013, 07:28 AM
No not yet.

Any recommendations?

Not sure if anyone in Canberra works on a bazzaz system.

Marshy
28-12-2013, 07:33 AM
I know a good guy here. Not sure about Canberra. Maybe mstevo has a recommendation?

Most tuners have the Bazzaz software now too, meaning it's as easy as power commander.

chubb
28-12-2013, 08:00 AM
I will go ask the local tuner at Motogarage here.. :phone:

shippy__
28-12-2013, 09:43 AM
power commander or bazazz which is better?

chubb
28-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Bazzaz

Nelso
28-12-2013, 10:34 AM
Can't wait to ride it!

I remember the first time Mark rode it and he couldn't get the grin off his face. He was totally blown away by the power.

Mr.Ed
28-12-2013, 11:28 AM
Maybe we could have a tarmac talk test ride day :eyebrows:

DisPlaCeD
28-12-2013, 03:24 PM
AWESOME STUFF! Looks like it's fully loaded with some top gear! :D Is it ASBK or FX eligible? Surely you haven't purchased it just to run in a single class in a club championship? No one will stand a chance... :hurt:

Stu23
28-12-2013, 05:51 PM
Busy reading MOMS at the moment !!!! they change so much you never can keep up with whats what re eligibility grrr

Mr.Ed
28-12-2013, 07:43 PM
how about a summary?:angel:

Marshy
28-12-2013, 09:37 PM
Busy reading MOMS at the moment !!!! they change so much you never can keep up with whats what re eligibility grrr

Seems odd to be worried about eligibility, Stu :confused: Are you trying to disallow my new bike, or do you have plans for ASBK??

You would know that St George doesn't have any specific eligibility rules, apart from capacity (and compliance plate for Clubsport).

Stu23
28-12-2013, 09:40 PM
not what I meant Nick, I was refering to displaced comments settle down settle down !! SS rules with big Ton I think do not allow many mods now, I cant race my bike is his show ! in the SS 600s... Titanium system for gawds sake Formula Oz yes but mostly 1000cc there now :( Not sure re ASBK nowadays, seems most are returning to SStock regs which is a bit shit for those that like to play with their bikes a little..

As for St George, they are supposed to follow the SS regs and 600cc but they don't really do they !

Stu23
28-12-2013, 09:51 PM
As for being worried...... I couldn't really catch you most weekends on your previous bike...... why would this one worry me more ROFL ;) you should know me better than that by now..... And as I said...... If I had the cash, it would have been in my garage by now ;)

Marshy
28-12-2013, 09:59 PM
The GCRs for 600cc changed at the beginning of this year (2013), to allow normal mods (suspension, exhaust etc) but no engine work - except a thinner head gasket. Superbike is going the same way next year (2014), which in my view is an eminently sensible change. 600s have benefited from having stock engines this year, and with ProStock being more popular than Superbike atm, it makes sense to change the rules and contain runaway engine costs.

That said, I won St George this year on a bike I built specifically to meet the new Supersport rules (ie no engine mods, not even a thinner head gasket, which is legal to do). Thus I don't need a faster bike to win a club racing class. But I love love love, and collect, R6s, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to own a piece of history. I haven't even decided to race it yet - there's certainly nothing wrong with my championship-winning bike! In fact, after nearly a year of developing the Ktech suspension, it is finally working properly now!!

FX rules have always been daft in the 600 class, so I've never bothered. I used to race in the Supersport class within Formula Oz, and in fact won the championship in 2011 on an unmodified R6. I don't know what he's planning for the rules for next year, and I'm not particularly interested either.

Stu23
28-12-2013, 10:08 PM
I know......... The rules keep changing year on year !! St George is going to be the only place to bloody run a modded bike of any kind soon..including mine .. It does seem as though the governing bodies are following the world champ bodies in reducing mods and therefore costs in national championships. This is good in one way as wildcard riders will stand a chance when the worlds come around , but it hurts people with modded bikes, and as far as big Tony, not many like to run 600s in Formula Factory Yamaha 1000 err I mean formula Oz !! I would think soon that the only mod you will be able to make is carts and shocks :(

Phat3R
29-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Race the new one Nick ... technology always been part of racing ... it's legal so race the farker ...

Marshy
29-12-2013, 05:26 AM
Thanks Phat3R. Once I ride it, I reckon I'm gonna have a hard time not riding it at every opportunity!

Oh Stu, I think Terry said that this year there's no factory entries in FOz. So no more factory Yamaha domination, in theory.

Marshy
29-12-2013, 05:29 AM
you should know me better than that by now.....

I knew you weren't worried about me; I was just stirring ;)

Actually I was hoping that you had ASBK plans, and would come join me in some of the races....

chubb
29-12-2013, 08:42 AM
That bike would be competitive in ASBK??

Mstevo
29-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Actually I was hoping that you had ASBK plans, and would come join me in some of the races....

Sponsor me and I'll come with you ;-)

Stu23
29-12-2013, 09:45 AM
I wish...... with Carl starting up on track now as well, finances are going to be a little tighter.... however Mstevo might just be on to something there Nick ;)

Nelso
29-12-2013, 10:26 AM
That bike would be competitive in ASBK??

It would be competitive anywhere. It is still as quick as the current ASBK bikes and will most likely be quicker than next years ones with the new rules.

Nelso
29-12-2013, 10:38 AM
I wish...... with Carl starting up on track now as well, finances are going to be a little tighter.... however Mstevo might just be on to something there Nick ;)

Welcome to the world of 'double the cost of everything'. It's great that the two of you can do it together, but it's very hard to finance. We need to chase some sponsorship for next year, or face the reality of not racing all of the rounds. Leanne has already pulled out of the first round of St George as we cant' afford it.:ohwell:

Soooooo, if there's anyone out there who would like to sponsor the second fastest female racer currently racing in this country, feel free to throw some money or product our way.:second:

Or, alternatively, you could sponsor the heaviest racer around.:flypig: At least there is plenty of space on the leathers for advertising. :pound:

Saturnalian
29-12-2013, 03:48 PM

I heard a rumour somewhere that buying working hard he can pay for his own hobbies ??!!!
Or are you just talking about when you bin his bike ?

Stu23
29-12-2013, 03:52 PM
lol hes fast using up my stash of part worn tyres !! when were out of those... eeek As for crashing, im paying whichever way !

Saturnalian
29-12-2013, 04:04 PM
The best thing about being old, with a wife and two or three kids, is that I now get to buy myself my own presents!! Picked it up this morning. Merry xmas to me:

http://tarmactalk.com/images/YEC-R6.jpg

Where was this bike up for sale ?!

Marshy
29-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Where was this bike up for sale ?!

It's not what you know..... ;)

Mark mentioned to Leanne that he was selling his collection of R6s, and she suggested he give me a call (seeing as I'm such an R6 fanatic). A few days later the deal was done. I don't think he got as far as advertising it.

Saturnalian
29-12-2013, 09:38 PM
I do look out for them fairly keenly. Nice purchase mate

Stu23
29-12-2013, 11:35 PM
yes, always keep an eye on good bikes so when they do hit the market, your ready to go :)

Saturnalian
29-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Wow, nothing stays secret any more!! :twitch:

I haven't told anyone any specs, and in fact what Stu has said there is a bit more than I was told it's got. But hey, never ruin a good story with the truth! ;) Also, Mark was a bit vague about what's in it, but it's got tuning numbers engraved all over it, so apparently Yamaha can still tell you what's in it.

AFAIK, it's got YEC cams, valves and springs, and a thinner head gasket. And the YEC ECU and loom. Ful Ti Akra. But it's missing a few bits too - there's no quickshifter (well, the horn button is a manual push-button jobbie), and there's only the OEM master cylinder. The forks have GP Suspension 25mm carts, not Ohlins (although almost everyone reckon the GP are better than the equivalent 25mm Ohlins), but there's a good old-school pre-TTX Ohlins in the rear, I know that will actually work.

It is ex-Yamaha factory supersport, so it's been built properly. And Mark has made it look very nice too. It's an 08, so yes, it's eligible for clubsport :rockon:

And Rick B, you're absolutely right in that I hate black bikes, so it will look totally different when it hits the track in a month. Hell, it's mostly stripped already!

I didn't pay what Mark was asking, but it was still very expensive for an 08. If it hadn't been maintained by someone as handy and fastidious as Mark, I wouldn't have bought it. But I've always wanted one with all the goodies....

I've actually got some Graves & YEC goodies sitting here that I was going to put into my racebike at some point, to go with the ECU and harness on there already (eg Graves slotted cam wheels, YEC thinnner head gasket etc), but that might now be a project for someone else to do.

Speaking of which, is anyone interested in the championship-winning bike from this year?? I need the money!

I may be interested in the spare set of Racers Edge fairings you're ripping off that bike....

Marshy
24-02-2014, 04:17 PM
Full 08 Yamaha Factory's Supersport R6 making 135bhp , modded crank, SS motor, factory cams, YEC everything, Ohlins full front and rear :) a very nice bike... Did Mark achieve his asking price ??

Well, as some of you heard, when I rode this 'weapon' I came in saying "Meh. It feels like my stocker, only noticeably less midrange and only a couple of extra hp up top". My educated guess was 118, and I also said if it had more than 120 I'd eat my hat.

So I chucked it on the dyno a couple of days ago, and guess what? Almost 120. No YEC cams (or presumably the matching valves & springs etc). Yes, it's got a thinner head gasket (US$80), and that'll give it some more ponies, but it doesn't have all the goodies that I was told it had (and paid for, mind you).

Not a happy camper. I rang Mark yesterday and let him know, and I'm waiting for him to call me back today.

Baddie
24-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Well, as some of you heard, when I rode this 'weapon' I came in saying "Meh. It feels like my stocker, only noticeably less midrange and only a couple of extra hp up top". My educated guess was 118, and I also said if it had more than 120 I'd eat my hat.

So I chucked it on the dyno a couple of days ago, and guess what? Almost 120. No YEC cams (or presumably the matching valves & springs etc). Yes, it's got a thinner head gasket (US$80), and that'll give it some more ponies, but it doesn't have all the goodies that I was told it had (and paid for, mind you).

Not a happy camper. I rang Mark yesterday and let him know, and I'm waiting for him to call me back today.

:mad:... F##King Joking.

I'm really sorry but the info I received was from several people...I'm spewing and Ill let him who as soon as I see him.

Put it back together an sell it..ASAP.

Marshy
24-02-2014, 05:12 PM
I just rang him again. Got the 'but everyone knows that bike' line again, and I'm then saying, yeah that's all well and good, but did anyone actually look at it or dyno it?? Nope, nada. It was obvious to me from the first lap on it.

Carl-52
24-02-2014, 05:38 PM
Well that sucks!!!!!!! Probably best to put all the stuff back on it and sell it as that "known" bike... but then i guess the next person wont be too happy either :(

shippy__
24-02-2014, 06:04 PM
I know this young bloke that's using his dads old r6, he might be interested at the rite price....... he is pretty quick too

chubb
24-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Well the thing is what is the seller going to do considering he said it's got all these goodies etc

Stu23
24-02-2014, 07:55 PM
I dont know what to say really Nick :( ....... I guess the only way you will get anything back from the bike is to take off all the remaining fancy bits, shock, forks , system etc put std ish bits on it ( that you might have laying around ) and sell the bike as is ( not a bad slightly worked 08 R6 trackbike / racebike ) and try make up some money selling the bits taken off.... theres always someone wanting trixy bits and you can make a $$$ or 3 there

johnnyb
24-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Wow....cheeky! Marshy, surely someone selling you an R6 would know you would pull it apart to see what makes it tick.

False/misleading/incorrect advertising....break in contract.....full refund.......and a huge apology.

Mr.Ed
24-02-2014, 10:25 PM
I'd say to the previous owner "Ok, so you're saying it DOES have all the goods, right?! Cool... We'll take it to a mechanic and will let him open it up and tell us. If you're right, I'll pick up the bill. If you're wrong, we undo the deal 'cause you didn't give me the bike I paid for. And pick up the bill"

chubb
24-02-2014, 11:01 PM
I'm sure there is maybe some kind of consumer law between private buys as well??

Marshy
24-02-2014, 11:52 PM
I'm sure there is maybe some kind of consumer law between private buys as well??

Prolly small claims tribunal....

And Ed, Mark is saying that he thought it had the goodies, and he's as surprised as me that they are not in there. He's not saying that I'm wrong. But he had 3 R6s in total, and I can't believe he honestly thought it was 130+ horsepower, because both his other ones were well-sorted stockers and would've felt pretty much the same.

chubb
25-02-2014, 09:15 AM
130+ should pull like a 750 I would have thought

Marshy
25-02-2014, 09:53 AM
130+ should pull like a 750 I would have thought

Agreed. It should pull like a randy teenager. And it didn't. At all.