PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Clip On Tubes CLR001

Phat3R
11-12-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm refilling my spares Xmas basket (cauz it waz empty). Anyone know where I can purchase Vortex Clip On tubes (part number CLR001K preferably) in AU for a price reasonably in line with the USD$16 they pay over there???

https://www.vortexracing.com/shop/product/19666/1696/17/83/

These guys from HK are selling on eGay what are surely knocks off ... but the price isn't bad for a pair. Quality wise, are all aluminum tubes created equal or am I liable to bend these negotiating turns > 12? They all break bend if you come off, so no real difference there? Maybe just get a set and see how they go?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Universal-1-Pair-Vortex-Clip-on-ons-Replacement-Handle-Bar-Handlebars-Tube/120997135710?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D163%26meid%3D3311899364290457390%26pid%3D10 0005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D120997 136038%26#ht_4099wt_1098

PS Are the longer tubes better then the shorter ones ... more moments ... but does it make the steering too sensitive to Phat bastards holding on too tight ...

Mr.Ed
11-12-2013, 10:50 PM
I reckon they're pretty much universal, no?

I know had Driven clipons before (they're shite, would not recommend) and now have the Renthal ones (highly recommend) and both their bars were the same size as the Vortex spares I had from my previous bikes.

Marshy
12-12-2013, 07:58 AM
They are universal. I owe you some anyway. Would you like silver or black? We have plenty in stock.

http://superbikesource.com.au/products/Replacement-clip%252don-bars-%28pair%29.html

Phat3R
12-12-2013, 04:54 PM
They are universal. I owe you some anyway. Would you like silver or black? We have plenty in stock.

http://superbikesource.com.au/products/Replacement-clip%252don-bars-%28pair%29.html

You don't owe anything, we're square, I enjoy doing a spot of Unix admin.

I've ordered the eBay clip ons, will be interested to see if they are any good.

Mr.Ed
12-12-2013, 04:57 PM
I hope they're better than the ones a mate bought for his cafe racer... cracked at the mount on day one. And that's street riding with no heavy braking or insane counter steering.

Having said that, the driven ones I had cracked at the mount as well... and no crashes were involved in that!

Phat3R
12-12-2013, 10:23 PM
I hope they're better than the ones a mate bought for his cafe racer... cracked at the mount on day one. And that's street riding with no heavy braking or insane counter steering.

Having said that, the driven ones I had cracked at the mount as well... and no crashes were involved in that!

Meh ... we'll see, if the are good I've found a 1/2 price source, if not I rule them out as a source and eBay them.

Mr.Ed
12-12-2013, 11:01 PM
They're not all bad... I've seen plenty of good ones to be honest. But you do get the lemon ones too...

dan
13-12-2013, 12:55 PM
Marshy I'll need to grab a set of clip ons for my new GSXR1000 forks from you at some point as well. You got them in stock?

Marshy
13-12-2013, 04:53 PM
They're not all bad... I've seen plenty of good ones to be honest. But you do get the lemon ones too...

I've raced on, crashed and generally abused our Superbike Source ones, and never had any kind of failure or even anything untoward. They hold up extremely well in crashes too, with the tubes bending considerably but never snapping. On the turn 1 crash bike, both bars were bent so far in towards the frame that there was no steering available - we had to remove one tube to steer the bike out of the trailer!! I highly rate them: we don't sell stuff I wouldn't trust my life to.

Marshy I'll need to grab a set of clip ons for my new GSXR1000 forks from you at some point as well. You got them in stock?

Yep, all sizes and either black or silver are in stock :thumb:

Mr.Ed
13-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Sorry if my post came across as if I was talking about superbikesource, mate! It really wasn't!! I was talking about some of the Chinese ones being hit and miss... and the Driven ones being crap (at least the set I had).

chubb
13-12-2013, 06:36 PM
I've raced on, crashed and generally abused our Superbike Source ones, and never had any kind of failure or even anything untoward. They hold up extremely well in crashes too, with the tubes bending considerably but never snapping. On the turn 1 crash bike, both bars were bent so far in towards the frame that there was no steering available - we had to remove one tube to steer the bike out of the trailer!! I highly rate them: we don't sell stuff I wouldn't trust my life to.

I can vouch for that!!

Very good quality and doesn't snap. It bends!!

I wouldn't have any hesitation to keep ordering them.

But only if I have to. I hate crashing.

Marshy
13-12-2013, 06:46 PM
Sorry if my post came across as if I was talking about superbikesource, mate! It really wasn't!! I was talking about some of the Chinese ones being hit and miss... and the Driven ones being crap (at least the set I had).

Oh, not at all Ed, I didn't even think that way! I was just taking the opportunity to put in a small plug for my gear, as I don't do it very often. ;)

Mr.Ed
13-12-2013, 07:41 PM
Too well disguised that plug... see what it does?! hahaha

dan
13-12-2013, 08:35 PM

Bloody ripper

Medic!
13-12-2013, 09:42 PM
Let me get this right. Are you saying we can get good quality clip ons and lots of other goodies for our bikes at
http://superbikesource.com.au ??? Hmmm good to know.:typing::yo:

Phat3R
13-12-2013, 09:51 PM

They sound good, I'll grab my next set from you Nick ... I'm going to try and limit my crashes this year ...

After a long discussion with the Mrs ... I now have a budget of $1K per month ... TD's included ( costing TD's the same as ARDC PD's due to opportunity cost lost if I don't work during the week for an ARDC). Rest is for fuel $50 per TD for bike / car / tolls , tyres $100 per TD, race entry, spares, maintenance, crash repairs and enhancements. That's $12K per year ... iz pozzible?

[Already blown this months budget on 4TD's and replacement rear sets and clip ons.]

chubb
13-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Seriously best not to think about costs!!

Phat3R
13-12-2013, 10:28 PM
Seriously best not to think about costs!!

Seriously ... work out a budget ... maybe not for first year ... but once you get a realistic handle on it. What's that saying; happy wife ... mildly less unhappy life :)

Medic!
14-12-2013, 12:09 AM
Budgets??? Happy wives??? :flypig::flypig::flypig: Ya lost me!:confused::noidea:

Mr.Ed
14-12-2013, 10:27 AM
I reckon it's not a bad budget... especially if you focus on ARDC days instead of track days. The problem is that crashes seem to not care about budgets.

Marshy
14-12-2013, 02:22 PM
I now have a budget of $1K per month

I've never wanted to set a budget for my racing, but I've been seriously thinking about doing so for next year. The bottomless pit of just 'buying what I want, when I want it' is really, really bad long-term, on many levels. Mostly for the mortgage - I'm pretty sure mortgages are supposed to go down, not up!!

Thanks Rick; I'm willing to give this a go, probably with one minor mod - any additional money earned from workshop services will top up the kitty.

chubb
14-12-2013, 03:11 PM
I've never wanted to set a budget for my racing, but I've been seriously thinking about doing so for next year. The bottomless pit of just 'buying what I want, when I want it' is really, really bad long-term, on many levels. Mostly for the mortgage - I'm pretty sure mortgages are supposed to go down, not up!!

Thanks Rick; I'm willing to give this a go, probably with one minor mod - any additional money earned from workshop services will top up the kitty.

the crash has made you more sane.. what is with all this reasonable talk!!?? :der:

Marshy
14-12-2013, 03:30 PM
It's all just until I get on the bike again..... then all this crazy 'sane' talk will go back out the window where it belongs!! :peace:

Phat3R
14-12-2013, 06:00 PM

Good plan re the extra revenue to top up the kitty ... you gotta get those classifieds going in your down time ... I reckon you might be able to fund TT out of it with advertising.

Marshy
14-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Roger that. I'd kinda forgotten about it, in all the kerfuffle with the crash etc.

Little Mick
14-12-2013, 10:28 PM
you should probably budget $8-$12k for the race season with St G, especially if you double enter... track/ practice days are extra, although you tend to use race take offs for the practice days...

While we dont want to face the reality of what it costs, getting it within what you can sensibly manage early will mean you can keep doing it.... Marshy is right...

and repairs... well thats a whole topix on its own...