PDA

View Full Version : Box trailer shopping.

Baddie
04-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Hello Girls
Need to pick your brains I'm going box trailer hunting this weekend and I'm wondering if my Blade will fit in a 7 x 4 or 7 x 5 length ways?.

I'm planning to install Pete's trailer mate hence why I'm a little worried if I should look more at a 8 x 4 ,8 x 5.

Thanks in advance.

senator8
04-12-2013, 10:42 AM
If you're going to use a trailermate, get a 8 ft

Baddie
04-12-2013, 11:21 AM
If you're going to use a trailermate, get a 8 ft

Yes that's my issues right now...shit loads of 7 x 4/5 around but with trailer mate I don't think ill be able to shut waste gate.

or I buy pit bull set up and attach rear wheel which stop my installing rear wheel axle sliders....mmmmm

Little Mick
04-12-2013, 12:26 PM
make a removable Dock that bolts to front...

8 ft required if you use trailer mate...

chubb
04-12-2013, 02:05 PM
yes 7ft box trailer of mine is too short to use inline with a trailermate

Nelso
04-12-2013, 04:00 PM
The 7ft one I had, I could just close the tailgate if I forced it, but it had a bow in it with the back wheel pushing into it. Why not just get a bike trailer? We would sell our enclosed trailer to you for $3500 if you want it, as we need to get a bigger one to fit 4 race bikes in.

No_Style
04-12-2013, 04:58 PM
or I buy pit bull set up and attach rear wheel which stop my installing rear wheel axle sliders....mmmmm

Have a look at these:
http://www.t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=457

They work in a similar manner to the pit bull (maybe a tiny bit more work each time, but not bad) except they clamp around axle sliders.
The price ($90) is for a pair of them. I'm looking at getting two pairs, I just need to work out which axle block sliders will work for my R6 and for a ZX-6R.
Shipping is ~40-50 according to the company. Let me know if your interested and we can order another set and split shipping, if your interested in making it all a little cheaper.

Personally I would still be inclined to use something to restrain the front of the bike in some way (but if you have the front wheel hard up against the front of the trailer, that would probably suffice).
I'm planning to use a trailermate type setup to restrain the front wheel and these t-rex thingy's at the back. You probably wouldn't need the front restraint 99.9% of the time, but if you have to swerve around for some reason whilst towing, your probably running a risk of something going expensively wrong (particularly if you have more than 1 bike loaded and they can bounce into each other etc).

Edit:
Ended up ordering some, will let you know how the system goes.
http://tarmactalk.com/forum/showthread.php?374-Trailer-Restraint

Marshy
10-12-2013, 08:00 AM
The 7ft one I had, I could just close the tailgate if I forced it, but it had a bow in it with the back wheel pushing into it. Why not just get a bike trailer? We would sell our enclosed trailer to you for $3500 if you want it, as we need to get a bigger one to fit 4 race bikes in.

Pics, Nelso? A mate is trailer shopping atm.

shippy__
15-12-2013, 06:03 PM

yep yep I was using a 7x4 with a "easy trailer chock" the old 1198 would just squeeze in, if the bike was 10mm longer it would not have worked

making a 7x4 flat top at the moment... steel is with the father in law at the moment and should be finished by the end of the week

Spilly209
04-01-2014, 12:36 AM

I'm the one Marshy was referring to that's considering getting a trailer mate. Any details / pics on yours? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

dan
04-01-2014, 06:51 PM
What's wrong with just strapping it to the back of the falcon mate?

Spilly209
04-01-2014, 11:53 PM
What's wrong with just strapping it to the back of the falcon mate?

The lack of wheelie control on the Falcon is proving to be a problem when it comes to steering and such...

But I'd also like to be able to carry more than one bike if need be.

dan
05-01-2014, 12:18 AM
Those wagons have a big boot just put the seats down and slide the bike in haha

Marshy
05-01-2014, 07:31 AM

LOL! Good idea!! :roll:

Phat3R
05-01-2014, 08:25 AM
The lack of wheelie control on the Falcon is proving to be a problem when it comes to steering and such...

:pound: LOL ... remove the windscreen so you can get your body over the front!

Bikebiz had their massive trailer for sale yesterday. Forgot to tell you, might be back there today. Big enough to stand in and could take multiple bikes and gear. The Falc hooon could probably tow it OK too. I'm guessing for the price you could get a reasonable van ... which does way better three point turns. Put some advertising on the side for a tax deduction?

Marshy
05-01-2014, 09:48 AM
Just out of interest, how much did they want for it? Not that I'd be interested; just curious. They had to buy that huuuuuuge F300 (or whatever it is), massive truck-like ute thing just to pull that big trailer.

senator8
05-01-2014, 11:10 AM
20k!
My van is for sale after st George $17k

Phat3R
05-01-2014, 11:30 AM
Just out of interest, how much did they want for it? Not that I'd be interested; just curious. They had to buy that huuuuuuge F300 (or whatever it is), massive truck-like ute thing just to pull that big trailer.

F300's a 5.x l V8 from memory ... should be pullable with a 4.x l 6 cyl? Just had an "inquire within sign" on it. With the Bikebiz sign on it they should pay for the sponsorship! :) All these things you see at SMP when you tour the entire pit row. Might have to pack a pushy for the future to go visit Rick and Wetty in their regular abode! :) BTW thanks for the gloves Rick.

Saturnalian
05-01-2014, 11:53 AM
20k!
My van is for sale after st George $17k

Why Rick, why. Do you want me to build you a trailer ?

Spilly209
05-01-2014, 12:57 PM

Yea I'll get the angle grinder out & chop the roof off at the back. It's actually not that crazy of an idea, a ramp, two bikes tied down in the back....might suck when it rains though.

dan
05-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Could convert it to a extra long wheel base ute haha just get a tarp

Spilly209
05-01-2014, 02:50 PM
Could convert it to a extra long wheel base ute haha just get a tarp

I'm honestly considering this - no joke

Mr.Ed
05-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Why not get a ute then?! I have one and carry my bike on it no worries... closed gate and all. It fits all my gear and then some. Having said that, not having rear seats sucks sometimes.

chubb
05-01-2014, 04:16 PM
who needs rear seats?

senator8
05-01-2014, 08:27 PM
All these things you see at SMP when you tour the entire pit row. Might have to pack a pushy for the future to go visit Rick and Wetty in their regular abode! :) BTW thanks for the gloves Rick.

Hey that's not my usual abode. I've never visited that part of Australia before, only ever ridden through. I think Cliffy is to blame ;)
Closer to the café the better for me, unless it's a race meeting when I've got my own.

Why Rick, why. Do you want me to build you a trailer ?

I've got a good trailer. I will be disappointed to see this go. It's been great and fits in most car parks and parking spots. I have thought about just keeping it for when I just do a practice/track day on my own etc, but rego is ridiculous for vehicles in NSW. With another addition to the family soon and needing to travel with the same. We just need more room. This year I will just do mostly club and state meetings, as the asbk and fx calendars suck. But want to get set up for doing a full season and the interstate travel required for one of the series next year hopefully.

who needs rear seats?

people with family or mates ;)

Marshy
05-01-2014, 09:11 PM
people with family or mates ;)

That's what car boots are for ;) Particularly young kids, as you can fit more in.

senator8
05-01-2014, 09:13 PM
That's what car boots are for ;) Particularly young kids, as you can fit more in.
yeah, but you also torture yours with soldering irons ;)

Marshy
05-01-2014, 09:18 PM
yeah, but you also torture yours with soldering irons ;)

Anyone seeing a pattern here? I might be in trouble..... :roll:

Spilly209
05-01-2014, 11:19 PM
So the current plan - can change in the next five minutes - is to:
1: Sell my Aston
2: Sell the Ford or keep it - worth nothing so doesn't matter
3: Buy a Porsche Cayenne / Cayenne Twin Turbo or ML63 4WD that is around 5 years old so its taken the massive depreciation hit
4: Buy a trailer to use for race meets but also be able to use the ramp if need be like for just a track day or moving a bike. The Porsche has adjustable air suspension so perfect for this.

The bonus of this is I can keep the trailer and bikes together in my one car garage and a 4WD isn't that much of a risk to park on the street - currently I've got my bikes in the garage but both cars parked on the street. It can be tricky to get two parking spots at times but main issue is if someone scratches or tries to nick the Aston. Someone's already flogged one of the badges in the centre of one of the wheels.

Any thoughts on this plan? And any opinions on which 4WD to go for?

Cheers,
Steve

Tristan
05-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Street Fire lol insurance will sort all your problems.

Spilly209
05-01-2014, 11:42 PM
Street Fire lol insurance will sort all your problems.

Ha - not when the insurance specifies that the car needs to be kept in a lockup garage! A garage fire on the other hand...hmmmm....(not serious!)

Tristan
05-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Hahahaa

Mr.Ed
06-01-2014, 01:43 PM
currently I've got my bikes in the garage but both cars parked on the street. It can be tricky to get two parking spots at times but main issue is if someone scratches or tries to nick the Aston.

Do you live in the eastern suburbs? There's this AM parked on my street all year long... I've wondered why the hell he doesn't get himself a garage! hahahaha Around here you can just rent one of one of the building though.

Phat3R
07-01-2014, 12:12 AM
So the current plan - can change in the next five minutes - is to:
1: Sell my Aston
2: Sell the Ford or keep it - worth nothing so doesn't matter
3: Buy a Porsche Cayenne / Cayenne Twin Turbo or ML63 4WD that is around 5 years old so its taken the massive depreciation hit
4: Buy a trailer to use for race meets but also be able to use the ramp if need be like for just a track day or moving a bike. The Porsche has adjustable air suspension so perfect for this.

The bonus of this is I can keep the trailer and bikes together in my one car garage and a 4WD isn't that much of a risk to park on the street - currently I've got my bikes in the garage but both cars parked on the street. It can be tricky to get two parking spots at times but main issue is if someone scratches or tries to nick the Aston. Someone's already flogged one of the badges in the centre of one of the wheels.

Any thoughts on this plan? And any opinions on which 4WD to go for?

Cheers,
Steve

Could swap the Ford and some cash for a second hand iLoad. Get glass put in all the panels and add a backing camera. No sweating it with those three point turns. Two bikes plus gear all pretty secure for Phillip Island run too! :)

Spilly209
07-01-2014, 12:15 AM
Could swap the Ford and some cash for a second hand iLoad. Get glass put in all the panels and add a backing camera. No sweating it with those three point turns. Two bikes plus gear all pretty secure for Phillip Island run too! :)

But use what for day to day transport you think? Also could I tow a trailer with a van as well or too much load?

Marshy
07-01-2014, 06:55 AM

This is actually a good idea! It's this or get an enclosed trailer that lives in the garage. And either way, get something nicer as a daily driver.

Phat3R
07-01-2014, 08:12 AM
But use what for day to day transport you think? Also could I tow a trailer with a van as well or too much load?

With the rear windows and rear camera, the van is great for daily commute too, nice and high seating position for city traffic. Get an AC curtain between cab and load space. They are pretty safe ANCAP wise, and drive pretty much like a car. Get the most powerful engine re pulling load plus trailer. It's fine to leave on street. See if you can get sliding doors both sides too. If you want can get the van vinyl wrapped with your company details, should be a tax deductible sponsorship angle there, but best to check with accountant first.