PDA

View Full Version : Crash Test Dummy

Spilly209
02-12-2013, 10:46 PM
Well after not coming off a roadbike in 15 years, I've come off twice in 3 weeks!

First one was riding the new R6 for the first time. Pissing down but with wet tyres I was amazed at how much grip there was and how much fun I was having. But got too confident and lost the back-end 2nd last corner before the straight. Damage was left clipon, left peg, broken stata cover and fairing damage. My brand new Dainese leathers held up great and I slid on my face so helmet is fine, just scratched visor.

Then on Sunday I dropped the Pani 😱. I got it to Madaz at 7:30 to put a new set of slicks on but at 9:30 they hadn't even taken the wheels off yet. So I made the retarded decision to go out on cold road tyres. Only made it to turn 5, tipped in and just slid out from under me. I hung onto it as long as I could and there is bugger all damage. The left clipon is bent and the gear lever and left peg trashed but other than that just the front axle nut needs replacing. No fairing, paint, tank, fork, frame or swingarm damage - not even scratches!

So anyway, I'm on a hatrick but I'm going out to the ARDC day on Friday, hopefully get some confidence back.

***Oops, can't add pics from iPhone, will do from PC later***

Negrogrande
02-12-2013, 10:55 PM
less than ideal, glad to hear there is no significant damage on the pani.

I learned how much fun the wet can be on Friday, I nearly kissed the pavement as well, I saved a highside on turn 12 that darkened my undies, it is no wear near as progressive when it lets go

fitzy
02-12-2013, 10:56 PM
i was a few bikes back when you throw the ducati down at t5 mate first session ... same place i went down last ardc day i did. least all is replaceable and you can get up and walk away :)

Spilly209
02-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Did you see the crash mate? I'm pretty sure both wheels went out from under me at the same time but would like to know for sure.

Funny thing was the bike was telling me there was no grip - even leaving pit lane it felt like it was weaving in a straight line. So I went easy on the throttle but obviously didn't reduce corner speed enough 😩

Phat3R
02-12-2013, 11:49 PM
Did you see the crash mate? I'm pretty sure both wheels went out from under me at the same time but would like to know for sure.

Funny thing was the bike was telling me there was no grip - even leaving pit lane it felt like it was weaving in a straight line. So I went easy on the throttle but obviously didn't reduce corner speed enough ��

Steve, which bike / bikes you taking to the ARDC? What TC setting did you have the Pani on, was it the right one for the street tyres? LH rearset bent outwards suggests the bike went backwards?

Spilly209
03-12-2013, 12:14 AM
I'll be taking the Pani if it gets fixed in time (should). Would like to take the R6 as well but not sure I can get it there for Friday.

The TC setting was on level 3 of 8. There's no specific TC setting for road tyres, 3 is the default setting for Race mode but you can adjust higher or lower manually within that mode.

But the rear didn't break traction under throttle, I hadn't got back on the power yet, had only just tipped in. Just too much corner speed / lean angle is my guess.

The bike slid about 20-30 meters spinning slowly but that was probably from me hanging onto the left bar for as long as I could. So yeah, it was prolly facing backwards for some of the slide. Tough to say for sure but I think that's what happened.

Mr.Ed
03-12-2013, 01:28 AM
Good to hear there was not much damage to either bike, or the rider! ;)

chubb
03-12-2013, 07:16 AM
Phew sounds like some major drama happening!!

Glad the bikes an easy fix and the rider is ok!

Medic!
03-12-2013, 01:01 PM
Tough break Steve. Saw your bike go past with recovery but didn't realise it was you.
Don't forget to have a look at your pics from last Thursday if you aren't too busy fixing things.
Might see you Friday if I can get out to take some more snaps. Not as good as Ray Oxfords he puts most to shame but better than nothing.

Spilly209
04-12-2013, 09:18 AM
Quick update boys. Turns out the Pani ain't a bad bike to crash - even in road trim. The own left clipon is only $126, few incidentals another $50, then new rearsets - going with Bonamici kindly supplied by Tristen and I'm back in business. So will be there on Friday - on new slicks this time!

Got your pics on the R6 medic, thanks. It's now my Instagram profile pic! Hope you can make it out on Friday :)

dan
08-12-2013, 12:01 AM
Got the updates (and photos) from James during the day. Could not believe how little damage the bike had!

Marshy
08-12-2013, 01:06 AM
Could not believe how little damage the bike had!

Yes, two-wheeled tanks (Suzukis) can survive significant impacts without much damage..... :rofl:

dan
08-12-2013, 02:30 AM
Yes, two-wheeled tanks (Suzukis) can survive significant impacts without much damage..... :rofl:

Here we go!

Speaking of which - what kind if shape is your bike in? Haven't seen any photos yet. What's the hold up? Hopalong out there you can't be doing much else haha

Phat3R
08-12-2013, 08:47 AM

Better a Suzuki tank than an R6 BBQ starter :flame: ... :)

Little Mick
08-12-2013, 08:53 AM
were you out on Friday Shippy? There was a tri colour duc and a red one with a bright tail light out there.

Either of them you?

Marshy
08-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Speaking of which - what kind if shape is your bike in?

No idea; I haven't been able to get it out of the trailer, but I did have a look along one side, and it doesn't look that bad. Once I get it unloaded (soonish) I will post pics.

dan
08-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Check the other side haha

Spilly209
04-01-2014, 12:05 AM
were you out on Friday Shippy? There was a tri colour duc and a red one with a bright tail light out there.

Either of them you?

Sorry for late reply, using tapatalk finally. The bright red tail light sounds like it was me if it was an ARDC day. That was my first ride after two crashes in a row & the front break lever failed at the end if the straight one lap then the gear lever connecting rod bolt fell out in turn 2!

And I had loads of people saying my rear light was bright so we finally worked out the break light was permanently on from fitting the new rearsets. So we sorted it out but only at end of the day after the bike was already disabled lol.

That was a tough day but my next day out my confidence came back, glad I stuck at it, having a ball at the moment, particularly on the R6!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)