PDA

View Full Version : 3D Printing of Bike Parts

Phat3R
30-11-2013, 07:09 PM
Be nice to have access to one of these to print up broken bits as needed.

http://www.jaylenosgarage.com/extras/articles/jay-lenos-3d-printer-replaces-rusty-old-parts-1/

No_Style
30-11-2013, 07:22 PM
I hate Jay Leno's life. Principally because it is his and not mine.

KANGA
01-12-2013, 09:43 AM
I'm a 3d artist and was actually quite keen on the idea. Was thinking of making my own quick action throttle but after doing the calculations it was going to come to more then just buying one :(

Mazabuzz
01-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Yeah I'm a 3D draftsperson (mechanical/structural) for the last 10 years and it would be awesome having a 3D printer at my disposal, I would make rearsets, levers, you name it

Negrogrande
02-12-2013, 12:39 PM
group buy?

fairing stays, levers, brake guards all possible. $3K really isn't that much in the end

Nelso
02-12-2013, 03:53 PM
Yeah I'm a 3D draftsperson (mechanical/structural) for the last 10 years and it would be awesome having a 3D printer at my disposal, I would make rearsets, levers, you name it

Can you draw them up and have them CNC machined? I heard half the cost of CNC machining is drawing it up and writing the program to cut things out. If you can draw it up, you would think it would make things a bit cheaper to make.

Little Mick
02-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Can you draw them up and have them CNC machined? I heard half the cost of CNC machining is drawing it up and writing the program to cut things out. If you can draw it up, you would think it would make things a bit cheaper to make.

yes and no... the 3D model is the starting point.. then there is the conversion into the tool path that takes a fair bit of time...

by all means, passing on a 3D model in the right format is a step in the right direction, but you are still up for a lot of programming time.

Some of the guys wear the programming time as they look at it as an investment into the part that they willl recoup by selling a whole heap.

It all depends on how unique the part is and who ends up owning the IP....

At some point I will have a CNC...I just love tools...

Phat3R
02-12-2013, 08:27 PM
yes and no... the 3D model is the starting point.. then there is the conversion into the tool path that takes a fair bit of time...

by all means, passing on a 3D model in the right format is a step in the right direction, but you are still up for a lot of programming time.

Some of the guys wear the programming time as they look at it as an investment into the part that they willl recoup by selling a whole heap.

It all depends on how unique the part is and who ends up owning the IP....

At some point I will have a CNC...I just love tools...

That last statement is dripping with homosexual innuendo ... but I'm going to ignore it ... because I like good tools too :)

Little Mick
02-12-2013, 08:37 PM
That last statement is dripping with homosexual innuendo ... but I'm going to ignore it ... because I like good tools too :)

hahahaaa I was waiting for the first bite... lmao :lol: